Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

LesterOfPuppets 10-05-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22669531)
Got clipped on the rear fender by a driver at a 4-way stop on my way to work today. Didn't go down, but I screamed a lot. The guy must have looked right at me with my red jacket and headlight, but didn't register me. He said his mind was on looking for a parking space. He was mortified and offered to take me and the bike home. Worst part is one of my fender struts popped out of its draw bolt/nut and I couldn't find it. It's going to take a week to replace.

Oof, cars man, why?

seedsbelize2 10-05-22 12:33 PM

Got clipped on the rear fender by a driver at a 4-way stop on my way to work today. Didn't go down, but I screamed a lot. The guy must have looked right at me with my red jacket and headlight, but didn't register me. He said his mind was on looking for a parking space. He was mortified and offered to take me and the bike home. Worst part is one of my fender struts popped out of its draw bolt/nut and I couldn't find it. It's going to take a week to replace.

:eek:

big john 10-05-22 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22669338)

basically willing to trade seconds for minutes - you could lose 30 seconds (or whatever) in the nasty technical stuff or descents - but gain minutes on the climbs

Any off road ride I do involves huge amounts of climbing, usually more than 100 feet per mile. My ride from home climbing ride gains 2500 feet in the first 7 miles, or so.

I am never concerned with time nor do we race each other when I ride dirt with others.

All up, me the bike, the Camelbak, around 245 pounds. I used those crappy little tires on a hardtail but I wouldn't want to do it again unless I knew the trail was tame, the sort of stuff where you could ride a gravel bike. We were miles back in the mountains above Lake Isabella when a friend sliced open a tire on a rock. Luckily they were able to doctor it up or it would have been a long walk.

The other big factor is age. I'm now 68, not 35. The extra traction and security of big tires is what drew me to a "plus" bike in the first place. A 2.8 tire @15 psi provides way more grip on the slippery dried out surfaces we have compared to a 1.9 @ 30 psi. Having said all that I am wondering if a set of 2.4 tires would suffice on the tamer rides I am doing these days. Not an XC tire, but a durable trail model.

datlas 10-05-22 12:58 PM

You went to work today? Oy vey!

But seriously, glad you are ok.

MoAlpha 10-05-22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22669591)
You went to work today? Oy vey!

But seriously, glad you are ok.

The guy who hit me was on his way to the shul. I gave the mofo something to atone for!

genejockey 10-05-22 02:24 PM

:troll:

DougRNS 10-05-22 06:24 PM

Glad you are ok. You've had too many close calls lately.

bampilot06 10-05-22 06:47 PM

Looks like the cycle cross race is back on this weekend. Just picked this up from one of the guys I ride with. Took it for a short spin, MTB feel weird.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...29f34fb1a.jpeg

bampilot06 10-05-22 06:51 PM

glad you are okay.

big john 10-05-22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22670008)
Looks like the cycle cross race is back on this weekend. Just picked this up from one of the guys I ride with. Took it for a short spin, MTB feel weird.

Practice.

t2p 10-05-22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22669570)

Having said all that I am wondering if a set of 2.4 tires would suffice on the tamer rides I am doing these days. Not an XC tire, but a durable trail model.

gotta think this would make a significant difference

t2p 10-05-22 07:51 PM

The guy must have looked right at me with my red jacket and headlight, but didn't register me.

this not uncommon

and explains how / why motorists will pull out in front of a motorcycle ... or cross a railroad crossing in front of a train (the ones not attempting to 'beat' a train)

motorists are conditioned to view other motorists

best advice I can give : act / ride like you are invisible

MoAlpha 10-05-22 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22669979)

Thanks, Doug. I just spend a ****load of time on busy roads and I don’t think my rate of vehicular contact has increased that much. I’ve been hit by a fair number of cars over the years. :(

t2p 10-05-22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22669357)
I must be missing a nuance here, can someone clue me in? The news outlets all say the Phillies clinched a wild card spot and the Brewers are eliminated. But if the Phillies lose today and the Brewers win, they would have identical records and be tied, so there would be a one game sudden death game between them, I would think.

No??

edit: no. No more tiebreakers. https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules

baseball playoffs start too late - the World Series should be finishing now

and this from an ex baseball junky

MoAlpha 10-05-22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22670054)
this not uncommon

and explains how / why motorists will pull out in front of a motorcycle ... or cross a railroad crossing in front of a train (the ones not attempting to 'beat' a train)

Yeah, that advice came to mind today. There’s a lot of top-down processing in the visual system, hence we perceive what we’re looking for, not necessarily what’s impinging on our retinas.

Today’s incident was good in the sense that I was unhurt and calm enough to actually question the guy non-confrontationally. His non-defensive answer was pretty scary too.

genejockey 10-05-22 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22670054)
this not uncommon

You mean I could ride naked? Cool!

WhyFi 10-05-22 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22670008)
Just picked this up from one of the guys I ride with. Took it for a short spin, MTB feel weird.

Going for a spin without pedals should feel weird.

big john 10-05-22 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22670061)
baseball playoffs start too late - the World Series should be finishing now

and this from an ex baseball junky

The W/S starts Oct 28th! I guess we could have Mr November.

big john 10-05-22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22670041)
gotta think this would make a significant difference

I would think so.

Trsnrtr 10-06-22 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22669979)

Ditto.

Trsnrtr 10-06-22 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22670012)
glad you are okay.

Ditto!

Trsnrtr 10-06-22 04:56 AM

A rarity for me.

Wordle 474 2/6

🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

bampilot06 10-06-22 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22670119)
Going for a spin without pedals should feel weird.

I threw some plat forms on it.

seedsbelize2 10-06-22 06:16 AM

Wordle 474 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

abshipp 10-06-22 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22669570)
The other big factor is age. I'm now 68, not 35. The extra traction and security of big tires is what drew me to a "plus" bike in the first place. A 2.8 tire @15 psi provides way more grip on the slippery dried out surfaces we have compared to a 1.9 @ 30 psi. Having said all that I am wondering if a set of 2.4 tires would suffice on the tamer rides I am doing these days. Not an XC tire, but a durable trail model.

One of the first times my dad came to visit we went for a MTB ride. He didn't bring his Fuse which uses 27.5x2.8 tires so he rode a rental Intense Sniper with 29x2.2 tires. Even on a full suspension vs his hardtail he commented that he just didn't feel like he had any traction.