Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bike Commuting YouTube Channel (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185306)

Bicycle2Work 10-08-19 11:42 AM

Bike Commuting YouTube Channel

Hello Fellow Bike Commuters!

I started bike commuting years ago when my car broke down. Without any other options - I got on my yellow Schwinn Continental and began pedaling. I fell in love with commuting by bike instantly. I enjoy the exercise, being outside, and the time it gives me at the end of the day to process. I've always enjoyed creating things, and so I recently started a YouTube channel that is dedicated to inspiring and helping others begin commuting by bike. I started another post on here and got excellent suggestions and recommendations about what I can do with the channel, and I plan on implementing a lot of the advice.

If you're into YouTube would you check out my channel Bicycle2Work and give me feedback. I'm working on getting better as a video editor, but I'm pretty proud of what I've put together so far. Here's one of my more recent videos.

mcours2006 10-08-19 11:48 AM

Good start. Thanks for sharing. You might want to delve deeper into some of the issues we all encounter as bike commuters. Some things that come to mind are clothing, especially when it gets cold, gear--panniers vs packpack vs trunk bag vs saddle bag, bike choices, tires, pedals and shoes, road vs trail vs MUP, dealing with pedestrians and other motorized conveyances, etc.

Good luck.:thumb:

Darth Lefty 10-08-19 12:36 PM

This is a fantastic start. You've got a good voice for it and you've done a ton of editing

KraneXL 10-08-19 12:47 PM

Pros:

Its short, hurrah!
Video quality
Audio quality
Good editing

Cons:

Subject and details
32 Reasons? Can anybody remember that many?

Anyway, try 4, or 6 or 8 or 10 at the very most. Instead of more volume, give more details. Give us the reason why commuting is best, then expand on that reason. If its cheaper than the bus tell us how. If its faster than driving show us how: Short cuts? Traffic? Consider the title, 4 Reasons BC is the Best (or better than driving) in 4 minutes.

Darth Lefty 10-08-19 01:25 PM

The dog water bottle video is a crackup

Darth Lefty 10-08-19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 21155316)
Cons:

Subject and details

It's a framing device for a pitch, not a handy reference.

Bicycle2Work 10-08-19 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 21155316)
Pros:

Its short, hurrah!
Video quality
Audio quality
Good editing

Cons:

Subject and details

Anyway, try 4, or 6 or 8 or 10 at the very most. Instead of more volume, give more details. Give us the reason why commuting is best, then expand on that reason. If its cheaper than the bus tell us how. If its faster than driving show us how: Short cuts? Traffic? Consider the title, 4 Reasons BC is the Best (or better than driving) in 4 minutes.

This is good advice! I made this video to show a large number of reasons to bike commute, but totally get where you're coming from. I'll take a few of the reasons from this video and dive into them as you suggested. Thanks for your feedback.

alan s 10-08-19 01:52 PM

Next up, wind, rain, cold, ice, snow, heat, humidity, darkness, dirt, peds, dogs, zombies, homeless people and lousy bike riders. In other words, real bike commuting. 32 reasons you will hate it and should use public transportation.

davei1980 10-08-19 02:13 PM

OP - you get the good egg award!

Bicycle2Work 10-08-19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by davei1980 (Post 21155456)
OP - you get the good egg award!

Is that a good thing or not? Hahaha. I do like eggs though. They're best with some hot sauce.

davei1980 10-08-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bicycle2Work (Post 21155482)
Is that a good thing or not? Hahaha. I do like eggs though. They're best with some hot sauce.

Yes! Thanks for sharing the word which we all know! no one here will argue with any of your 32 points

KraneXL 10-09-19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bicycle2Work (Post 21155402)
This is good advice! I made this video to show a large number of reasons to bike commute, but totally get where you're coming from. I'll take a few of the reasons from this video and dive into them as you suggested. Thanks for your feedback.

I think of videos like speeches: they can be formal or impromptu, short or long. Either are acceptable.

Still, YouTube videos have there own special formula (especially monetized) but there's a reason why commercials are only 30-60 sec.in length.

In any event, you're off to a great start, and I suspect that with time, you'd get better all on your own. Just don't stop.

BMarino 10-17-19 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bicycle2Work (Post 21155199)
Hello Fellow Bike Commuters!

I started bike commuting years ago when my car broke down. Without any other options - I got on my yellow Schwinn Continental and began pedaling. I fell in love with commuting by bike instantly. I enjoy the exercise, being outside, and the time it gives me at the end of the day to process. I've always enjoyed creating things, and so I recently started a YouTube channel that is dedicated to inspiring and helping others begin commuting by bike. I started another post on here and got excellent suggestions and recommendations about what I can do with the channel, and I plan on implementing a lot of the advice.

If you're into YouTube would you check out my channel and give me feedback. I'm working on getting better as a video editor, but I'm pretty proud of what I've put together so far. Here's one of my more recent videos.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on that video! Good work, it's inspiring and motivating! :thumb: