Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

Eric F 07-01-22 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22560644)
2 Saturdays ago a friend showed up on a new Canyon and she said it was under the UCI limit, like 14 pounds or so. I picked it up, it was feathery.

Jeebus!! That's pretty darn light.

indyfabz 07-01-22 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22560625)
When I was a wee bairn, we had a railroad track within 500' of my bed room window and a train would wake me up every night. I found the sound comforting. Many of the railroads have disappeared in my area and I miss the rumbling sound. Don't miss the crossings, though.

Maybe a decade or so ago the federal government preempted the field of train horns at crossing because local government were creating a patchwork of rules that were not practical to follow. For example, a township might ban the use during certain hours, but a rail line could pass through that township, leave it then reenter it again a mere mile or two away. Way too confusing to comply with the patchwork. (Pennsylvania to a similar preemption approach to the use of phones while driving after more and more local governmental bodies started adopting their own rules.) Now, trains are required to sound their horns at public crossings unless what is known as a Quiet Zone has been established. I won't bore you with what it takes to establish one, but I will say that it is usually an expensive undertaking involving a traffic study and physical improvements to the crossing. And the municipality requesting the QZ has to pay for it all. I worked on a couple many years ago that required hundreds of thousands of dollars in improvements and payments for future maintenance for the railroad-related improvements. Things like signs and concrete median to dissuade people from driving around the gates were not included in the amounts. That is why you usually find them in well-off areas.

Not sure if I ever posted this video in this thread. I shot it when I heard a train approaching Rockwood, PA, which has a few crossings in town. I was camping across the river along the GAP trail during the second day of a cross-PA tour. Turn up the volume to simulate the effect. Turned out to be Amtrak's Capitol Limited from D.C. to Chicago, but there are a lot of freights that use that line.



I shot this one from my campsite after the first day of my 2019 tour in MT and ID.





Mojo31 07-01-22 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22560658)
And you, my friend, have fallen unde the spell of our domestic overlords. *****whipped mayhap?
Go out and buy the damned thing!

Not whipped as much as scared.

I get away with spending a lot on stuff I want, but I know when my physical and emotional happiness is at risk.

Mojo31 07-01-22 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22560692)
Maybe a decade or so ago the federal government preempted the field of train horns at crossing because local government were creating a patchwork of rules that were not practical to follow. For example, a township might ban the use during certain hours, but a rail line could pass through that township, leave it then reenter it again a mere mile or two away. Way too confusing to comply with the patchwork. (Pennsylvania to a similar preemption approach to the use of phones while driving after more and more local governmental bodies started adopting their own rules.) Now, trains are required to sound their horns at public crossings unless what is known as a Quiet Zone has been established. I won't bore you with what it takes to establish one, but I will say that it is usually an expensive undertaking involving a traffic study and physical improvements to the crossing. And the municipality requesting the QZ has to pay for it all. I worked on a couple many years ago that required hundreds of thousands of dollars in improvements and payments for future maintenance for the railroad-related improvements. Things like signs and concrete median to dissuade people from driving around the gates were not included in the amounts. That is why you usually find them in well-off areas.

Not sure if I ever posted this video in this thread. I shot it when I heard a train approaching Rockwood, PA, which has a few crossings in town. I was camping across the river along the GAP trail during the second day of a cross-PA tour. Turn up the volume to simulate the effect. Turned out to be Amtrak's Capitol Limited from D.C. to Chicago, but there are a lot of freights that use that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBa1j8F0dk


I shot this one from my campsite after the first day of my 2019 tour in MT and ID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-E1yO7lw4

God bless ICCTA, right?

My first exposure to the wonderful world of railroad law: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1592763.html. I represented Maalt, LP.

indyfabz 07-01-22 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22560710)
God bless ICCTA, right?

My first exposure to the wonderful world of railroad law: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1592763.html. I represented Maalt, LP.

The FRA regs were issued under the Swift Rail Development Act.

Mojo31 07-01-22 02:50 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22560788)
The FRA regs were issued under the Swift Rail Development Act.

Yes, but under ICCTA the cities cannot enforce any contrary laws or regs, as I understand it.

Im not anywhere close to an expert on federal/state rail regulations. My work with the railroad generally involves construction contract disputes.

datlas 07-01-22 02:50 PM

Hey indyfabz can your remind me who is responsible for the atrocious RR crossing of the tracks across route 842 south of West Chester? They are a deathtrap and we need to find a solution. I believe it's one of the railroads who is responsible for the crossing.

t2p 07-01-22 02:58 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22560647)
New frame and bars supposedly shed 300 grams. Gets it down to Emonda SL weight. Supposedly.

Brought up the desire for a lighter bike again as it seemed the door might be a bit open. If there was a crack, it was quickly slammed shut in my face.

the new bikes are just crazy good

just recently returned to cycling after a long layoff - and still amazed

light-feather weight / electronic shifted / disc braked missiles

Trsnrtr 07-01-22 03:32 PM

Regarding Treks, I'm subjectively unimpressed with the weight of their current line-up when I lift one. When we were sizing a new Emonda SLR-7 for my wife, I got to pick up some mid-level Madones and Domanes and was shocked at how heavy they felt. We had my wife's 2014 Amira with us and her bike was definitely much lighter even with her seat bag on it.

I'm going to be very disappointed if her new Emonda isn't at least as light as her Amira.

WhyFi 07-01-22 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22560846)
Regarding Treks, I'm subjectively unimpressed with the weight of their current line-up when I lift one. When we were sizing a new Emonda SLR-7 for my wife, I got to pick up some mid-level Madones and Domanes and was shocked at how heavy they felt. We had my wife's 2014 Amira with us and her bike was definitely much lighter even with her seat bag on it.

I'm going to be very disappointed if her new Emonda isn't at least as light as her Amira.

In fairness, neither prioritizes weight - Madone focuses on aero and the Domane on comfort. The Emonda has traditionally been their lightweight, climber's bike, so hopefully it'll come in competitively.

Trsnrtr 07-01-22 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22560853)
In fairness, neither prioritizes weight - Madone focuses on aero and the Domane on comfort. The Emonda has traditionally been their lightweight, climber's bike, so hopefully it'll come in competitively.

I understand that, same with my Colnago where the emphasis is supposedly on handling more than weight and I concur. However, the mid-range Treks that I've hefted were shockingly porky.

WhyFi 07-01-22 04:00 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22560859)
I understand that, same with my Colnago where the emphasis is supposedly on handling more than weight and I concur. However, the mid-range Treks that I've hefted were shockingly porky.

Yeah, my Domane was a downright pig with the stock wheels and whatnot. Swapping out some stuff made it respectable, for a bike with a focus on long distance comfort, but that definitely put it in a higher price bracket.

Mojo31 07-01-22 04:10 PM

I need to weigh mine again. I did the other day, but it was laden with the stuff most weight discussions don’t include - tube/tools, lights, radar, pedals, etc. It came in at 20.2 lbs, which I didn’t think was too bad. I may do a reweigh with the easily removable stuff off. Of course, it’s not a stock bike any longer.

Trsnrtr 07-01-22 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22560869)
Yeah, my Domane was a downright pig with the stock wheels and whatnot. Swapping out some stuff made it respectable, for a bike with a focus on long distance comfort, but that definitely put it in a higher price bracket.

Don't you think some of that penalty is due to discs, built in suspension, etc. My wifeís Amira and my Propel, both purchased in 2014, still have rim brakes and the frame sections look skinnier than newer carbon bikes. I wonder if thatís where at least some of the apparent weight difference is.

Trsnrtr 07-01-22 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22560877)
I need to weigh mine again. I did the other day, but it was laden with the stuff most weight discussions donít include - tube/tools, lights, radar, pedals, etc. It came in at 20.2 lbs, which I didnít think was too bad. I may do a reweigh with the easily removable stuff off. Of course, itís not a stock bike any longer.

I havenít weighed mine in some time but iirc, my wifeís Amira goes under 17 and my Propel is virtually 17 with everything but the seat bag. My Colnago is heavier, closer to 18.

WhyFi 07-01-22 04:40 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22560902)
Don't you think some of that penalty is due to discs, built in suspension, etc. My wifeís Amira and my Propel, both purchased in 2014, still have rim brakes and the frame sections look skinnier than newer carbon bikes. I wonder if thatís where at least some of the apparent weight difference is.

Most definitely... but I wouldn't give up the discs.

I do think that the full-on IsoSpeed in a Domane might be the best solution if you're looking a fast magic carpet ride on sometimes ****** roads, but I also believe that modern frames can give you a lot of that damping (70%? 80%?) without the weight penalty.

rjones28 07-01-22 06:13 PM

Dog of the Day.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24f4a0d085.jpg

Trsnrtr 07-01-22 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22560912)
Most definitely... but I wouldn't give up the discs..

Agreed.

BillyD 07-01-22 08:03 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22560613)
Opening lines describe the current weather conditions here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YgevxRGXIU


DougRNS 07-01-22 08:45 PM

I'm waiting for the Q3 edition. Imagine the quality content we're about experience.

genejockey 07-01-22 11:03 PM

I took today off to have a 4-day 4th and I was looking forward to a nice relaxing ride before the afternoon winds but Nature played a trick on my and it was windy ALL DAY. I am so tired of the wind, I said "T'hell wid it" and decided to ride the trainer instead. Everything was going great till there was a quiet *snap* and suddenly my power dropped to 0. I eventually figured out the problem - there's a reflector on the flywheel. That is there's SUPPOSED to be. I found it on the floor. It wasn't doing much good there. Eventually I figured out how to open up the cover to replace it. But apparently this is very common. The flywheel heats up, the glue degrades, and the reflector comes off. I don't know why they don't just paint it on.

LesterOfPuppets 07-01-22 11:12 PM

Scrutineering is underway for the ASC!!!

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Ew&oe=62C4A5F3

LesterOfPuppets 07-01-22 11:30 PM

Oooh, my favorite Cervelo paint. Too bad they're asking $10k

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...Fg&oe=62C50366

datlas 07-02-22 03:57 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22561221)
I took today off to have a 4-day 4th and I was looking forward to a nice relaxing ride before the afternoon winds but Nature played a trick on my and it was windy ALL DAY. I am so tired of the wind, I said "T'hell wid it" and decided to ride the trainer instead. Everything was going great till there was a quiet *snap* and suddenly my power dropped to 0. I eventually figured out the problem - there's a reflector on the flywheel. That is there's SUPPOSED to be. I found it on the floor. It wasn't doing much good there. Eventually I figured out how to open up the cover to replace it. But apparently this is very common. The flywheel heats up, the glue degrades, and the reflector comes off. I don't know why they don't just paint it on.

I see what you did there.

datlas 07-02-22 04:50 AM

Time to ride and try to beat the storms.

indyfabz 07-02-22 05:23 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22560808)
Hey indyfabz can your remind me who is responsible for the atrocious RR crossing of the tracks across route 842 south of West Chester? They are a deathtrap and we need to find a solution. I believe it's one of the railroads who is responsible for the crossing.

IIRC, itís the East Penn Railroad. Reporting marks ESPN.

indyfabz 07-02-22 05:25 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22560807)
Yes, but under ICCTA the cities cannot enforce any contrary laws or regs, as I understand it.

Im not anywhere close to an expert on federal/state rail regulations. My work with the railroad generally involves construction contract disputes.

Some types of state and local laws survive ICCTA preemption. I think the Swift Act had its own preemption provision.

indyfabz 07-02-22 05:30 AM

Happy.

Wordle 378 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 07-02-22 05:42 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22560877)
I need to weigh mine again. I did the other day, but it was laden with the stuff most weight discussions donít include - tube/tools, lights, radar, pedals, etc. It came in at 20.2 lbs, which I didnít think was too bad. I may do a reweigh with the easily removable stuff off. Of course, itís not a stock bike any longer.

My 92 Paramount comes in at 21 and change with a Brooks saddle on it, ready to ride. Tange Prestige tubing.

Trsnrtr 07-02-22 05:46 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22561317)
Happy.

Wordle 378 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Me, too. :bday:

Wordle 378 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.