Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Need creative or obvious way to carry single golf club on the bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254361)

CheGiantForLife 06-30-22 07:13 AM

Need creative or obvious way to carry single golf club on the bike

I want to ride my bike 5 mins to the nearby soccer field to hit practice golf balls.
I would love to ride and not take the car.
Balls fit in my pocket, but how can I carry a golf club?

Stick in backpack, half exposed?
Lay across handlebars? Unsafe?
Someone here has to have a good hack!

seypat 06-30-22 07:23 AM

Arrow quiver over the shoulder. You better check with the local authorities first to see if hitting /shagging balls is allowed at the soccer field. It tears up the turf and is generally frowned upon. A season pass to the local range would be a better idea. Or find a vacant commercial lot in the area.

DonkeyShow 06-30-22 07:30 AM

Fasten to the top tube. Works if road bike.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...852ce4c76a.jpg

Did this in 30 seconds with crap laying around. Seems good enough.

smd4 06-30-22 07:33 AM

Ones-handed, like a polo mallet?

Herzlos 06-30-22 07:35 AM

You can probably attach it to the top tube, but it might be easier to just walk.

I'd also recommend finding somewhere better to hit golf balls about, like a proper driving range (who may even loan you a club).

freeranger 06-30-22 07:36 AM

I second seypat so far as checking to see it's ok. To carry, you could use a hollow pool noodle velcro'd to the top tube.

Fahrenheit531 06-30-22 07:46 AM

Ride one-handed. It's five minutes away. Do we really need the internet for this sort of thing?

CheGiantForLife 06-30-22 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow (Post 22558964)

What did you use the attach it ????
Maybe I can use those bread loaf twist ties?
I have no velcro straps

CheGiantForLife 06-30-22 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 (Post 22558983)
Ride one-handed. It's five minutes away. Do we really need the internet for this sort of thing?

I am not that skilled and there are intersections to cross and curbs to hop.

DonkeyShow 06-30-22 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22558984)
I have no velcro straps

Old leather belt I'm reluctant to throw away.

seypat 06-30-22 07:56 AM

If you're determined to avoid shelling out coin at the local range here are some suggestions. Get yourself a square of carpet/fake grass. The size is up to you. Find a new construction project/development going in. Plop down the square of fake grass and hit the balls off of that. Use a freshly cleared piece of land as your target/landing area. The balls will land soft and you'll find them all, unless you're a duffer/dew dragger. Watch those worm burners and hosel rockets until they quit rolling or you'll lose them. Or go to the driving range instead.

freeranger 06-30-22 08:31 AM

You can get velcro about anywhere. Forgot what she was using it for but my wife bought some from Walmart--sewing section I think.

GhostRider62 06-30-22 09:02 AM

Attach the club to a rope and drag it.

prj71 06-30-22 09:28 AM

If it's that close just walk.

70sSanO 06-30-22 09:39 AM

Just don’t hit from the field. Hit from an area not used by the players or spectators.

I can’t think of anything more disrespectful, to those who actually use the field for play, than leaving a bunch of divots.

John

GhostRider62 06-30-22 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22559112)
Just don’t hit from the field. Hit from an area not used by the players or spectators.

I can’t think of anything more disrespectful, to those who actually use the field for play, than leaving a bunch of divots.

John

Dog poop?

Beer bottles?

Syringes?

livedarklions 06-30-22 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22559116)
Dog poop?

Beer bottles?

Syringes?

Those are more hazardous and/or obnoxious, but disrespectful is a bit hard to quantify.

Landmines would definitely be more dangerous, but putting them there might indicate grudging respect for the soccer players' determination.

BTW, this is stupid quibble, but this is a really stupid thread.

Outrider1 06-30-22 10:23 AM

I have no velcro straps

C'mon man.

locolobo13 06-30-22 10:42 AM

Years ago I would carry my 9 iron to the driving range at lunch. 2 mi away in traffic. Don't remember exactly. Nothing fancy. Think I just laid it across the handlebars and grasped both the iron and the handlebars.

If you don't like that and have a backpack with a loop on the back, try "sheathing" the iron like a sword thru the loop. Should work.

livedarklions 06-30-22 10:48 AM

I have no velcro straps

That's obviously a bike inner tube. Have you considered using the guts of your vanquished enemies?

This is as bad as your "how do you wipe your nose while riding" thread. Either get velcro straps or try the fasteners you have lying around. You don't really need this stuff explained, do you?

Miele Man 06-30-22 10:49 AM

I find such a thing yet another great use for extra toe-straps. Use two toe-straps to strap it to the top tube.

Cheers

MattTheHat 06-30-22 10:57 AM

This is the obvious application for a folding golf club.

phughes 06-30-22 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 22559238)
This is the obvious application for a folding golf club.

https://www.thegreenhead.com/2011/04...-golf-club.php

MattTheHat 06-30-22 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 22559259)

Even better!

79pmooney 06-30-22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow (Post 22558964)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...852ce4c76a.jpg

Yes, but more elegant - especially if yo are going to do this regularly: wrap strips cut from innertube around the headtube and seatstay/seat lug. Then tie the club to the top tube with innertube ties at those wraps. (Or wrap your club at those locations and keep the bike looking nice.)

My avatar photo shows a 24" chainwhip lashed to the top tube of my fix gear with an innertube wrap at the seatstay and around the tool handle. Toestraps secure it. (I made the tool with a piece that fits the seatstay to make it more secure. This was for week long tours, not a three mile trip to a golf course.)