Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   All Original or Period Correct (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235157)

Cactus459 07-21-21 11:45 AM

All Original or Period Correct

I have a bike that I started mountain biking on in the early 90's. I upgraded a couple of parts like the stem and seat, was wondering if I pull it out off storage and restore it should I try and put it back to all original or period correct? To be honest it is probably has more sentimental value than street value. I don't believe I would ever sell it, more worried my daughters are going to sell my bikes in a garage sell and not care about what they are actually worth. Ultimately want to make my first mountain bike a wall hanger.

SJX426 07-21-21 12:13 PM

I think you ansered your question with the wall hanger statement - original.

gugie 07-21-21 12:17 PM

Whatever you want. It's your bike. Those that want a bike all original are treating their bike as museum pieces, not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Back in the day" there were a lot of production bikes that were purchased and upgraded before a single mile was ridden. Proof of this is my first "real" bike purchased in 1975 - Raleigh Super Course MkII.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c405c907c.jpg

I rejected original equipment then.

As far as period correct goes, why limit yourself? I've built up several vintage frames with more modern componentry. If a bottom bracket is pulled out, I almost always replace it with a modern sealed model. I'll use OEM or period correct parts if they're good.

You'll get many opinions here, but at the end of the day, just follow your bliss. If riding on original equipment makes you happy, do so. If you prefer the performance of a modern part, go for it.

The only rules are the ones you place on yourself.

Erzulis Boat 07-21-21 12:30 PM

I vote for original. If it will be relegated to "wall hanger" status anyway, why bother faking the funk.

If I still had my original race MTB, I would surely retain the Syncros stem and seatpost that always worked loose as a constant reminder that "fancy parts" are not always good components, and that was the issue that haunted me every ride. The bars were from a box store bike because I had run out of money at the end of the build and slapped some cheapos (they were aluminum at least.........) to get by and then never bothered to upgrade as the fit was perfect. That was my bike, and swapping stuff out now would alter the history (insignificant, but hey).

CliffordK 07-21-21 12:42 PM

For my old Colnago... even if I could track down many of the original parts, so many have worn out over the years that putting it back to "original" would be just building a wreck.

Spokes pulled through the rim, brake levers that don't hold the cables anymore, ripped seat covers... Gawd, what happened to all those rolls of bar tape... pitted cones, broken seat post binder bolts, broken chainrings, worn chainrings, busted chains, worn freewheels, ... flatted and blown tires, ... Rear derailleur in the spokes, front derailleur cage worn in half.

:foo:

I suppose I could make a good wall hanging of worn out parts.

Some parts might be able to be repaired. Who here is recommending welding cracked spoke holes? Perhaps I could get that cable attachment pivot out of the brake levers and replace.

squirtdad 07-21-21 12:43 PM

Under stand sentimental value. Will you ever ride this bike....even for utility and errands? (personally I like that idea ;) ) if so put some slicks on it, ride and remember it glory trail days.

if it was high end or unique or if you just want to and don't plan on riding go original and find the wall where it will look best :giver:

juvela 07-21-21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 22151745)
Whatever you want. It's your bike. Those that want a bike all original are treating their bike as museum pieces, not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Back in the day" there were a lot of production bikes that were purchased and upgraded before a single mile was ridden. Proof of this is my first "real" bike purchased in 1975 - Raleigh Super Course MkII.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c405c907c.jpg

I rejected original equipment then.

As far as period correct goes, why limit yourself? I've built up several vintage frames with more modern componentry. If a bottom bracket is pulled out, I almost always replace it with a modern sealed model. I'll use OEM or period correct parts if they're good.

You'll get many opinions here, but at the end of the day, just follow your bliss. If riding on original equipment makes you happy, do so. If you prefer the performance of a modern part, go for it.

The only rules are the ones you place on yourself.

-----

Gugieficazione right from the outset! :thumb:

-----

gugie 07-21-21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by juvela (Post 22151797)
-----
Gugieficazione right from the outset! :thumb:
-----

I never could leave well enough alone.

randyjawa 07-21-21 01:00 PM

Wall hanger = original, absolutely! I do this sort of thing quite often. If not hung up as original it becomes just another mountain bike, in my opinion.

juvela 07-21-21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 22151802)

-----

:lol:

"...iffin' she ain' broke do fix 'er..."

-----

squirtdad 07-21-21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 22151802)

i resemble that

Cactus459 07-21-21 02:30 PM

Pulled from storage

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 22151790)
Under stand sentimental value. Will you ever ride this bike....even for utility and errands? (personally I like that idea ;) ) if so put some slicks on it, ride and remember it glory trail days.

if it was high end or unique or if you just want to and don't plan on riding go original and find the wall where it will look best :giver:

I have several better bikes, but I think if it were hanging on the wall in my garage I would have to pull it off and ride it. If just for nostalgic reasons.

randyjawa 07-21-21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cactus459 (Post 22151961)
I have several better bikes, but I think if it were hanging on the wall in my garage I would have to pull it off and ride it. If just for nostalgic reasons.

And there is no reason not to take it for a ride, now and then. Again, original would earn my vote and this wall hanger of mine does see the road every once in a while, but not very often...
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...645193a94c.jpg

SurferRosa 07-21-21 03:18 PM

What's a "wall hanger"? A bike you don't ride? Why? Does it not fit? Too out of shape? Dead?

70sSanO 07-21-21 03:52 PM

The real question is how much money do you want to spend?

If you only need a few components, it might not be too bad.

If you need a complete restoration, bring cash and plenty of it. The demand for 90’s mtb’s is pretty nuts. You might get lucky at a co-op or find a donor bike. But it is not going to be a process of going on eBay and finding that old XT derailleur in great shape and having a half dozen to choose from for $15-$20.

John

2cam16 07-21-21 03:54 PM

TTIWW the OP's bike pic.

Cactus459 07-21-21 04:03 PM

Wall hanger

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22152019)
What's a "wall hanger"? A bike you don't ride? Why? Does it not fit? Too out of shape? Dead?

I have multiple bikes to choose from when I want to go out and ride. I realized I still had my first mountain bike in storage and wanted to breathe some life back into it. I have all the original parts and was wondering what others would do with it? Leave the upgrades or put the original parts back on it? I want to leave it in the garage in working order on the wall so hopefully it will get riden once in a while.

Cactus459 07-21-21 04:10 PM

How much money

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22152058)
The real question is how much money do you want to spend?

If you only need a few components, it might not be too bad.

If you need a complete restoration, bring cash and plenty of it. The demand for 90’s mtb’s is pretty nuts. You might get lucky at a co-op or find a donor bike. But it is not going to be a process of going on eBay and finding that old XT derailleur in great shape and having a half dozen to choose from for $15-$20.

John

That is the best part about all this, I kept all the original parts. I would still need to get new tires and maybe tubes. Otherwise I would just pull it all apart regreese everything and possibly brake pads. That is why I was wondering if anyone would put it all back together with the updated parts or the original parts... Actually I might not have the original seat.

droppedandlost 07-21-21 04:15 PM

If I had all the parts then definitely original

Eric F 07-21-21 04:20 PM

I recently debated about what to do with my old MTB race bike that has been sitting mostly unused for about 20 years. I would never consider getting rid of it. I considered updating it with a newer drivetrain, but really didn't want to invest that much into a project. I decided to go a completely different direction - SINGLESPEED! It's been a wonderful change of scenery, attitude, and approach compared with my typical diet of go-fast road rides. Most recently, my ride days have been pretty split between this bike and my road machine. So much fun!!
https://i.imgur.com/JHJEq6g.jpg

John E 07-21-21 06:33 PM

I draw the "original" line at gearing, because I have rarely kept the original gear ratios on any bike I have ever purchased. When we sold PA-10s, PR-10s, an PX-10s at a Peugeot/Nishiki dealership, they rarely went out the door with the original 52-45 / 14-15-17-19-21 gearing. 14-26 or 14-28 freewheel substitutions were very popular, as were 40T or 42T inner chainrings on the PRs and PXs. (The PA-10s used cottered steel cranks with the Simplex 3-to-6-bolt adapters, limiting the small ring to 45T or larger. Some folks scrapped these and installed paired rings in which the outer, 3-bolt, ring carried an inner ring as small as 36T.)

When I brought my 1971 American Eagle Semi-Pro (Nishiki Competition) home, I replaced the padded vinyl saddle with my trusty old Ideale leather one, prompting my friend to remark, "All the discomforts of home." It saw numerous regearings over the years.

rando_couche 07-21-21 09:17 PM

When you reach my age (don't ask!), "all original" translates to "unrideable", mostly thanks to vintage gearing. 42x21 bottom gear? It is to laugh!

ShannonM 07-21-21 10:11 PM

If it's been your bike since new, and you did some upgrades back when, have you considered building it out with all of the parts you'd have bought for it then if you'd had the bread?

--Shannon

Cactus459 07-22-21 01:11 AM

Pictures

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 22152063)
TTIWW the OP's bike pic.

Sorry not an option for Noobie.