Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Cycling Shorts For Big Guys (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253103)

Sportdog 06-07-22 02:53 PM

Cycling Shorts For Big Guys

I'm in the market for some new cycling shorts. I'm 6' and weigh a svelte 248 pounds. 😊
My last pair were Bike Nashbar and they were a good fit but they no longer sell their namesake shorts.
Looking for recommendations for shorts not made for skinny guys!!! The Nashbar shorts had a high waistband so they didn't roll up under my fat roll!!!
Any advice gentlemen??? Thanks

msalvetti 06-07-22 03:38 PM

I'm 6'-2" and weigh about 250 lbs with a 40 inch waist. Been wearing The Black Shorts from The Black Bibs in size XXL. I like them and plan on buying a couple more pairs, but never having worn anything else I also may not know what I'm missing.
https://theblackbibs.com/collections...e-black-shorts

Mark

BJack312 06-07-22 04:21 PM

Might want to look at Aero Tech Designs. They have a good selection of big/tall stuff. They make good quality stuff too.

Steve B. 06-07-22 04:56 PM

Not Pearl Izumi. I wear their Attack and Expedition shorts. They've changed the design and no longer add a seamed edge to the straps over the shoulders, the result is the straps do not lay flat, but bunches together into an annoying string that can dig into your shoulder. Cheap design and my last pair of these bibs,

AeroTech makes nice stuff.

pdlamb 06-08-22 07:06 AM

One more vote for Black Bibs. The least expensive are pretty good, the next step up is so good I've not tried their high-end version. 2XL is a good guess at the size -- like all bike clothes, go up at least one size from non-bike stuff!

exercion 06-08-22 10:08 AM

Another plus for Aerotech. They are all I buy now, great quality, fast shipping, good prices and awesome customer service. They specifically have a section for big (me) and tall (so not me). Oh and you might want to give bibs a try instead of shorts

DMC707 06-08-22 11:08 AM

At 6' and 2-fiddy ish you should be able to wear about any brand . At one point in my life i was over 3 bills (at 5'9 ) - so i had a big drawer full of new bib shorts i had bought mail order that didnt work out -- finally settled on Louis Garneau in 3x. They fit and the fabric has a nice feel to it.

As i lost weight , i just started wearing Performance's house brand stuff.

257 roberts 06-09-22 06:17 PM

I wear Louis Garneau padded mountain bike shorts in XL, I'm 5'10" 223 lbs...very,very comfortable

Hoosier slider 06-10-22 06:35 PM

I'm 6'4"@270 and wear feixaings cycling underwear xxl (Amazon) under normal baggy shorts. I love these at 15 bucks a pair.

fords4life 06-11-22 10:08 AM

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I wear compression style boxer briefs and then tights in winter, or Pearl liner shorts in the summer and some exercise/training shorts over that. I'm 5'11" 270 at the moment. Can't bring myself to wear form fitting bottoms in pubic. Lol

m.c. 06-11-22 01:06 PM

Have used Aerotech liner shorts for years, they come in bigger sizes. They are like compression shorts with a chamois/pad you can wear under regular clothes.

gutter007 06-12-22 08:33 PM

Aerotech... Best place for big and/or tall

pennpaul 06-13-22 05:57 PM

I'm almost exactly your size and weight.

I really like my Aerotech Gel Touring Bib shorts in 2XL. They have mesh pockets on each leg which are kind of meh but sometimes handy. The chamois is nice. If they make it without the pockets,.I'm getting another pair.

I also have a pair of Black Bibs Navy Ultimate shorts in 2XL. IMHO, they're definitely not as nice as my Aerotechs and the straps seem short. The chamois feels good at first, but it doesn't last. After I bought them, they announced their Ultimate bibs now have an extended strap option.

Paul

DeadSlow 06-13-22 09:06 PM

I found Montello cheaper than Aerotech. I haven't bought shorts yet because I just wear every day shorts with padded underwear but for long and short sleeve jerseys they were about AU$20 cheaper than Aerotech with free postage. At a time where many US companies were not shipping to Australia due to post pandemic shipping delays Montello not only shipped here but they got it here within 4 weeks which is pre-pandemic delivery times.

chadtrent 06-14-22 09:56 AM

Check out www.theblackbibs.com

I started this year at 298 pounds and I wore their size 3XL. I'm down to 262 pounds and wearing 2XL now.

CyFan 06-16-22 02:14 AM

I've used several different inexpensive options from Amazon and all have been pretty good in the comfort department and all had a high waist.

cyclist2000 06-24-22 09:53 PM

I have tried a few different shorts and bibs. I was around your weight and height, my favorites are Assos and Sugoi. Neither are cheap but for long days in the saddle there aren't any better.

55tele 06-26-22 01:43 PM

Aero Tech.......

bikenraider 06-28-22 10:31 PM

I'm on the Aerotech train too. I've got a pair of their shorts and several of their jersey's. I've also had luck with the Bontrager shorts and the REI house shorts. I'll look a the names of them when I get them out of the laundry.

softreset 07-14-22 02:50 PM

I've had great luck with eBay from someone selling try-on kit templates from Borah teamwear. Typically $20-$25 for a really nice bib and sizes 2xl-4xl. I'm a 42" waist and the 3XL & 4XL fit well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203629653587

Not affiliated / not seller.

giffenf 07-19-22 01:41 PM

My daughter recently told me about Fat Lad at the Back (acronym: FLAB): (link) . They're based in England and make cycling kit for us bigger folks. I haven't tried their shorts or bibs yet, but their jerseys are top-notch, and the people are very friendly. Happy to support a small business like this one.

HeyItsSara 07-19-22 02:10 PM

Aerotechdesigns for the win!!!

Glenn6870 07-22-22 02:00 PM

Aerotech for sure. I have a pair of Black Bibs 4XL that are tight! All of my Aerotech bigs are 4XL and fit perfectly. I wanted to like the Blackbibs for the price and reviews, but i'll have to wait until i lose more weight!

wvridgerider 07-30-22 03:53 PM

aerotech
they have tall sizes too

I like their stuff

chaadster 08-01-22 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by DMC707 (Post 22534980)
At 6' and 2-fiddy ish you should be able to wear about any brand .

I’m almost exactly the same height and weight, and agree with this statement.

I currently wear bibs— and let’s be 100% clear: the OP needs bibs!— from Pearl Izumi, Garneau, Pactimo and Hincapie without issue. I have some older bibs from Sugoi, Sportful and Voler which still fit as well.

More important than the who, is the what, specifically materials and construction. The devil is in the details, as is often the case. The new Pactimo bibs are very nice, and definitely premium products; I forget names, but have their next-to-top of range bibs, and they’re my faves in the closet currently.

One tip I have is to avoid the Italian brands. I only have experience with Castelli and Colnago, but would not throw down money on Assos without a fitting first. I love Italians, but man, they have no idea; when I was 225lbs I got a Colnago C59 kit in their largest 4XL , and it barely fit then. 3XL Castelli bibs with tags still on are somewhere in the closet from that era because I couldn’t even get them over my thighs.