Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Carbon fiber and degradation over time (GCN) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249163)

ctak 03-28-22 12:53 PM

Carbon fiber and degradation over time (GCN)

Excellent video by GCN:

I've ridden my Roubaix quite hard and haven't noticed any issues around the Zertz insert areas, but I'll definitely monitor going forward...

ctak 03-28-22 01:17 PM

Interesting thought about interviewing a polymer chemist as well

SoSmellyAir 03-28-22 05:08 PM

To summarize, what both experts in the video said regarding the long term integrity of CF frames (and by extension, other components, e.g., handlebar) was quite reassuring.

genejockey 03-28-22 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22454075)
To summarize, what both experts in the video said regarding the long term integrity of CF frames (and by extension, other components, e.g., handlebar) was quite reassuring.

Yeah. Mostly don't store in bright sunlight, and don't be Mark Cavendish, and you should be fine.

SoSmellyAir 03-28-22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22454099)
Yeah. Mostly don't store in bright sunlight, ...

Just finished applying some sunscreen to my bare carbon frame.

... and don't be Mark Cavendish, and you should be fine.

No concerns here on that front.

genejockey 03-28-22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22454120)
Just finished applying some sunscreen to my bare carbon frame.

You know you're supposed to apply that every couple hours, right?

No concerns here on that front.
If Cavendish can safely use a frame for a year, I can probably use one till the heat death of the Universe.

SoSmellyAir 03-28-22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22454125)
You know you're supposed to apply that every couple hours, right?

The smell is too overwhelming if you do so. Besides, my rides generally only last a couple of hours.

genejockey 03-28-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22454132)
The smell is too overwhelming if you do so. Besides, my rides generally only last a couple of hours.

You need some of that coconut scented stuff. It may drive you nuts, but the riders you pass, or who pass you, will be briefly wafted away to more tropical climes...

Bob Ross 03-28-22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22454125)
If Cavendish can safely use a frame for a year, I can probably use one till the heat death of the Universe.

LOL! Speaking of the Universe, the antenna masts on the Voyager spacecraft -- which are both still in operation after 45 years travelling well in excess of 30,000mph -- are made of carbon fiber. I'm pretty confident our CF bike frames aren't going to assplode even without watching that GCN video

...but I'll watch it anyway, what the hell.

genejockey 03-28-22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Ross (Post 22454159)
LOL! Speaking of the Universe, the antenna masts on the Voyager spacecraft -- which are both still in operation after 45 years travelling well in excess of 30,000mph -- are made of carbon fiber. I'm pretty confident our CF bike frames aren't going to assplode even without watching that GCN video

Well, there's no wind resistance in space, and it's not accelerating, and it's moving AWAY from the biggest UV source, but apart from that, you make a reasonable point. ;)

SoSmellyAir 03-28-22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Ross (Post 22454159)

Let me try to save you the trouble with this summary thereof: unless one constantly subjects one's CF bike to (a) professional sprinter levels of cyclical mechanical loads or (b) UV ray bombardment, the bike is much more likely to fail due to a latent manufacturing defect than fatigue through normal use.

Seattle Forrest 03-28-22 06:47 PM

Yeah. Mostly don't store in bright sunlight, and don't be Mark Cavendish, and you should be fine.

​​​​​​Sunlight is a hoax. ☹️

SoSmellyAir 03-28-22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 22454180)

Yeah, there was a hiatus a couple of hours long in the big production required to perpetuate that elaborate hoax in southern California today, but as soon as I rolled my car out onto my driveway for a rinse under the rain, the hoax resumed.

zandoval 03-28-22 06:59 PM

Doesn't seem that long ago that we were worried about the life span of an aluminum frame... Ha

I can understand the use of a short lived frame, or even a one time use frame, at the professional bicycling level. Truly professional level bicycle racing has its own spectrum longevity...

Rdmonster69 03-28-22 07:34 PM

Seeing how many car and M/C race parts are made of carbon fiber I am not too worried about my bike frame.

krakhaus 03-28-22 08:30 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but I really hope it means I can safely buy a set of Spinergy Rev-X's. Because I really want a pair.

Russ Roth 03-28-22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by krakhaus (Post 22454268)
I haven't watched it yet, but I really hope it means I can safely buy a set of Spinergy Rev-X's. Because I really want a pair.

They weren't safe when new, age hasn't helped. Really wish they had a slightly better design since I loved mine till they cracked, they will always be cool looking, but the blades were designed to flex like a spoke and should have been built more rigid.

krakhaus 03-28-22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth (Post 22454299)
They weren't safe when new, age hasn't helped. Really wish they had a slightly better design since I loved mine till they cracked, they will always be cool looking, but the blades were designed to flex like a spoke and should have been built more rigid.

That's the rumor, but I've never met anyone who had them fail catastrophically. I had a pair in the 90's and they held up to many years of Seattle bike messengering. I even T-boned a car and tacoed my frame, but the spinergy survived unscathed. I had to retire them when the brake surface wore through. I hear some versions were better than others.

Russ Roth 03-28-22 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by krakhaus (Post 22454303)
That's the rumor, but I've never met anyone who had them fail catastrophically. I had a pair in the 90's and they held up to many years of Seattle bike messengering. I even T-boned a car and tacoed my frame, but the spinergy survived unscathed. I had to retire them when the brake surface wore through. I hear some versions were better than others.

The colors later on denoted the strength from what I remember, blue was regular, red was heavy duty and the yellow was a lighter weight. There is video out there as a couple collapsed under pro riders which is probably what did them in. Mine did crack and I wouldn't trust them, I did use them for several year in cross races and they really took the bounce out of the course.

Seattle Forrest 03-28-22 09:48 PM

What ever happen to Mad Fibers?

Darth Lefty 03-28-22 09:48 PM

How come bike makers never figured out gel coats? For boats and turbines and sailplanes and RV's it's de rigueur. Basically anything composite that lives outside.

rsbob 03-28-22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 22454180)

Hoaxes are a hoax, by definition.

Ok it’s not by definition, but by MY definition.

Steel Carbon is the real deal”

Troul 03-29-22 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 22454332)
How come bike makers never figured out gel coats? For boats and turbines and sailplanes and RV's it's de rigueur. Basically anything composite that lives outside.

if products of low value are made of high quality, the profit margin decreases & the market saturation slowly increases. Designed & planned obsolesces are real.

Mojo31 03-29-22 05:50 AM

Gel coat is a thick, brittle material. If used on bikes, the flex and constant impacts would cause it to crack. It's heavy also.

sloppy12 03-29-22 06:25 AM

have you done any repair work on gel coat? its pretty great to work with. I did repairs on RVs and boats for a few years I enjoyed the gel coat work. not the fiberglass work that sucked. lol..