Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

Smaug1 04-26-24 09:04 AM

Wednesday, I led my first regular Wednesday ride for my club. Unfortunately, they also scheduled a short-notice club meeting for the same time across town to discuss what to do about some "outlaw riders" that have attached themselves to our Thursday night fast ride, making it unsafe. (riding in pelotons, blocking the entire lane on a two lane highway)

...so only two other people showed up, a married couple. The man is one of our club's stronger riders; much faster than me. The woman is on a Domane+, so we don't worry about dropping her. (hers is a Class 1, so we DO drop her on the downhills, but she catches up on the uphills or flats) I'm only capable of 16 mph average with a 95% effort. This is relevant because the Wednesday ride is supposed to be a slow-moderate pace for beginners, 13-16 mph. I could ride as hard as I wanted to, because he's faster and she's on an eBike. :-)

That was a long-winded way of saying I got a nice 20 mile ride in Wednesday night. Here's the ride.

This weekend, I have my daughter and I'm not hopeful to get a proper ride in, so I took Ye Olde Schwinn on the commute today. (only 4 miles, round trip) My stepdaughter is competing in the state solo singing competition tomorrow. Maybe my daughter and I will ride to it? Her first number is at her high school only 1.5 miles away, and the next one is an hour later across town, 7-3/4 miles away. That's an easy eBike ride, and we could go along the lake for better views and a few extra miles.

{tangent} We're thinking of taking the train downtown Chicago on Sunday to visit the Art Institute. Daughter said she wants to go ALL DAY, which is 11-5; not bad for a 12 year old! Then, she'll push me to take her to her favorite pizza place, Aurelio's in the south loop, on Michigan Ave. She has forgotten that we agreed that next time we'll go to The Berghoff instead. Maybe we'll take our cheap bikes? She has an old Trek mountain bike with street tires and a cushy seat and I have my 1972 Schwinn Varsity, which is good because it has quick-release NOTHING.{/tangent}

rsbob 04-26-24 09:17 AM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23223920)
Spent the last few days in out of town for a work assignment, so I was speeding home today to get a ride in. I ended up running into my "training partner" down in town and we raced up one of the local climbs(I lost.) My legs were a little sore from some running this week, but I decided to go ahead and do some threshold intervals today...which I'm now glad I did.

Anyway...a measly 22 miles and 2600' of climbing. I managed to set a couple of time PRs, including 2nd O/A on a climb. More incessant bragging from me, my power numbers were quite spicy on this ride...averaged 350 watts for 11 minutes on the first climb and then backed it up with 375 watts for 12.5 minutes on the following climb. Normalized power of 303 watts for the ride.

Damn! You need to either do more running, days off or both.

rsbob 04-26-24 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by Smaug1 (Post 23224216)
Wednesday, I led my first regular Wednesday ride for my club. Unfortunately, they also scheduled a short-notice club meeting for the same time across town to discuss what to do about some "outlaw riders" that have attached themselves to our Thursday night fast ride, making it unsafe. (riding in pelotons, blocking the entire lane on a two lane highway)

...so only two other people showed up, a married couple. The man is one of our club's stronger riders; much faster than me. The woman is on a Domane+, so we don't worry about dropping her. (hers is a Class 1, so we DO drop her on the downhills, but she catches up on the uphills or flats) I'm only capable of 16 mph average with a 95% effort. This is relevant because the Wednesday ride is supposed to be a slow-moderate pace for beginners, 13-16 mph. I could ride as hard as I wanted to, because he's faster and she's on an eBike. :-)

That was a long-winded way of saying I got a nice 20 mile ride in Wednesday night. Here's the ride.

This weekend, I have my daughter and I'm not hopeful to get a proper ride in, so I took Ye Olde Schwinn on the commute today. (only 4 miles, round trip) My stepdaughter is competing in the state solo singing competition tomorrow. Maybe my daughter and I will ride to it? Her first number is at her high school only 1.5 miles away, and the next one is an hour later across town, 7-3/4 miles away. That's an easy eBike ride, and we could go along the lake for better views and a few extra miles.

{tangent} We're thinking of taking the train downtown Chicago on Sunday to visit the Art Institute. Daughter said she wants to go ALL DAY, which is 11-5; not bad for a 12 year old! Then, she'll push me to take her to her favorite pizza place, Aurelio's in the south loop, on Michigan Ave. She has forgotten that we agreed that next time we'll go to The Berghoff instead. Maybe we'll take our cheap bikes? She has an old Trek mountain bike with street tires and a cushy seat and I have my 1972 Schwinn Varsity, which is good because it has quick-release NOTHING.{/tangent}

A few years back, I belonged to a group of cyclists in the bike club which were probably about CAT 5s. Each weekend, a group ranging from 7-15 would get together and ride 60-70 miles at an average speed of about 20 MPH. This group ran well for five years until some outlaws joined us decided to disobey the rules, like blocking traffic lanes, running red lights, flipping off drivers and riding in an unsafe manner. The club (15,000 members) then dissolved the group as a result. Sad times but necessary. (The original members then had clandestine rides without the scofflaws)

Troul 04-26-24 10:27 AM

A decent 33°F 45 miler ride today. The clouds are bringing in more moiiistness tomorrow. Ugh!


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23223860)
WTF... its almost May, do you live at the north pole?

lol! We get 1 spring, 1 summer, 1 fall, & 20+ winters here.

Sierra_rider 04-26-24 11:50 AM

It's back to crappy weather up here in the mountains, It's 41F as I type this soooo...a zone 2 ride of 20 miles and 4500' up the virtual Daylight Pass in fake Death Valley.


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23224231)
Damn! You need to either do more running, days off or both.

Lol. I've only run twice this year, so I guess it's reasonable to have sore legs. The big thing is my quads take some time to adjust to the impacts of running. I don't particularly enjoy running and wouldn't partake in it otherwise, but it's almost kind of a necessity once I get into the busy season at work.

As far as the power, I don't think I've put in as much high-intensity work as I could've this year...although part of that is down to illness and injury at incredibly poor times. So now I'm just aiming to mix in more some workouts to boost the FTP...especially since most of my events for the rest of the season are gravel races, and I haven't had a lot of success so far in gravel.

jaxgtr 04-26-24 12:19 PM

Replaced the main circuit board in my refrig this morning, damn thing cost me $245, but beats 2.5K for a new one. So since it went so easy and I took the day off work, I decide to go out to the rail trail and do a time trial as I figure wont be too busy and its limited on points where car cross it. Its a 29.2 mile route, 14.5 mile legs, out and back. Got a personal best time and power even with a 15 to 20 mph wind on the return 14.5 mile leg. All that Rouvy climbing it really paying off on the flats.

DangerousDanR 04-26-24 05:46 PM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23223891)
I been told ND is the North Pole lite... :lol:

That's Alberta, particularly Edmonton. I had to go to southern Saskatchewan this winter for work. It was around -20F here in Fargo, -28F where we were in Saskatchewan, and -50F in Edmonton. And even colder in Fairbanks Alaska (which is close enough for government work to the North Pole.

jaxgtr 04-26-24 08:57 PM


Originally Posted by DangerousDanR (Post 23224690)
That's Alberta, particularly Edmonton. I had to go to southern Saskatchewan this winter for work. It was around -20F here in Fargo, -28F where we were in Saskatchewan, and -50F in Edmonton. And even colder in Fairbanks Alaska (which is close enough for government work to the North Pole.

Brrr, back in 80's when I was in the Navy, we happened to be on a short term det in Scotland chasing some soviet Subs when they did a massive break out of their Northern Fleet sub base, they sent out 8 subs at once, not uncommon, but sends people into a panic. So we ended up shifting to Iceland to follow 4 of the subs going toward Greenland and then down the East Coast. Having been deployed to Iceland for 6 months in the winter before, it is not what you would call paradise. So after they pass Greenland and get closer to the east coast, we transition to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Iceland in January is downright balmy compared to the deep freezer that Halifax in late January. Then to add to the agony, the subs stuck around the Canadian Maritimes for some reason versus continuing down to Cuba like their normal habits, so we spent 2 weeks freezing in Halifax. I do not know how people live there in that crap. I was a very happy boy when they told us we could go back to Bermuda, which is where I was deployed to at the time. While not warm that time of year, and lots of rain, it was above 10F and not 30 mph blowing winds, so it might as well have been 90 to me.

PrincipalRider 04-26-24 09:34 PM

Only 6 miles. But lots of elevation gain through super technical single track.

GamblerGORD53 04-26-24 10:35 PM

Tuesday I went 64 miles on my Rohloff14 heavyweight north to Gibbons, to start the highway season, 10:30 to 6:40. DQ lunch and A+W small supper.
There's 3 valley dips, the steep 2nd one I got to 41.1 mph. :giver: My nose was too low to enjoy the view. LOL
It got up to a nice 68F. Had my jacket on till 4:30. Light wind but still slowed me till I took it off. Hands were lightly sun roasted. Last year I went 92 hot miles first ride in May and both arms were fried for 2 weeks. Oooof.
No farmers plowing yet, very dry fields. The road was smoother than usual and mostly clean. Passed by 3 tools, one was a big all rusty wrench, weird.
I saw 6 other middle age guys for once, the last one had a high end CF racer, going for an evening ride.
Then Thursday I put on a new chain and added 8 ml oil since it's been 2 years.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9dd60c1c5.jpg

XxHaimBondxX 04-27-24 07:03 AM

Cracked 30 miles this chilly morning. Used oem specialized saddle instead of Brooks, so naturally butt hurts a bit.

rsbob 04-27-24 10:21 AM

How fer did I ride today/yesterday? Zero. Had 15 yards (I full dump truck) of garden mulch delivered and spent 8 hours and 8,500 steps spreading it around the upper garden. Looks like I have another 12+ yards to go. Too exhausted to cycle - but Mrs RSbob is encouraging me to slow down and get in some riding time - that’s why I married her, or maybe its the other way around.

rsbob 04-27-24 12:41 PM

How fer did I ride today/yesterday? Zero. Had 15 yards (I full dump truck) of garden mulch delivered and spent 8 hours and 8,500 steps spreading a tiny bit of it around the upper garden. Looks like I have another 12+ yards to go. Too exhausted to cycle - but Mrs RSbob is encouraging me to slow down and get in some riding time - that’s why I married her, or maybe its the other way around.

jaxgtr 04-27-24 05:42 PM

Got in a painful 83 miles in 20 to 25 mph winds howling out of the east, with some patches of unwanted rain.

I went to do some road\gravel today that is close to the beach on the CheckPoint to check out some new tires I decided to try out. I recently picked up Bontrager's new tire model, Girona RSL GR TLR, and while not normally a Bontrager tire fan, these intrigued me for some reason. They are 42mm and most of the gravel locations I ride generally are going to have some soft sand on course and the 40mm Pirelli's Allroad 40mm, while a great tire, have a more of a road like shape, a little taller and more rounded, and don't really have a knob profile that handle soft sand or light mud too well. The Girona tire while only 2mm wider, are more square with a better knob profile that handles the sand and light mud, much better. The TPI on the Pirelli's are 60 and the Girona's are 220 and you can really feel the difference. The Girona rolled extremely well on both hard pack and road, handled the small amount of sand I had to deal with today with ease. I felt like the rolling resistance was much lighter as well. I am really surprised as well I felt on the ride today with them. Obviously longer term experience will give me a better view, but I have high hopes for them. If you are needing some gravel tires, might consider these. They also have a 60 TPI version and a knobbier version as well called the Betasso. Might be worth a look if you are need of some tires and you are not sure what tire you want to go with or are looking for something else. Oh, the Bontrager's are 110g lighter per tire than the Pirelli's as well so a quick half pound shaved.

Sierra_rider 04-27-24 05:49 PM

A measly ~72ish miles and 10,300' of climbing today... I think spring may have sprung, It was mostly in the 60's and I made it up to the high spot of the ride at 6k'. Some notables...saw a bobcat and my first snake of the year(not a rattler though.) Achievements include the KOM and 2nd place on a couple of obscure climbs...also some very respectable power numbers.

Snapped this picture of my Garmin at the turnaround spot, the elevation and mileage tell the story of the first half of the ride:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fb022aa92b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f06a69f4c0.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a29632a08a.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d9fffd6fea.jpg

XxHaimBondxX 04-27-24 07:27 PM


Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling (Post 23224043)
113km, following my usual route. The day was hot and sunny, and the bugs are getting thick. I rode out to the countryside in Saitama, had lunch next to the river under a nice shady tree. Then I rode 60km to Kasai Rinkai park by Tokyo Bay and had a double cheeseburger and fries at Burger King, then rode the rest of the way home. I had to fight through the usual headwind for most of the ride, but managed to finish feeling good. I’ll shoot for 125km next week.

I'm always tempted to treat myself to a whopper during my rides, however, I'm positive I won't be able to make it back. 😂

50PlusCycling 04-27-24 08:03 PM


Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX (Post 23225309)
I'm always tempted to treat myself to a whopper during my rides, however, I'm positive I won't be able to make it back. 😂

On my longer rides I usually treat myself to a steak and a beer when I get home. But I was hungry, and could smell the flame-broiled goodness.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f5f4d9c31.jpeg

I could have ordered this, it was 1990 yen (about $14), but I probably wouldn’t have been able to keep it down. But I will order it on my next trip, just to be able to say I did.

Sierra_rider 04-27-24 09:16 PM


Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX (Post 23225309)
I'm always tempted to treat myself to a whopper during my rides, however, I'm positive I won't be able to make it back. 😂


Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling (Post 23225338)
On my longer rides I usually treat myself to a steak and a beer when I get home. But I was hungry, and could smell the flame-broiled goodness.



I could have ordered this, it was 1990 yen (about $14), but I probably wouldn’t have been able to keep it down. But I will order it on my next trip, just to be able to say I did.

With all the hills around here, it's just not a good idea for me to get a big mid-ride meal. However, I'll go all-out once I'm done riding...I really love eating and was beyond ecstatic when I saw that I was in a 4k calorie deficit after today's ride. I ended up demolishing 1/2 of a medium pizza and putting back a couple IPAs. Maybe not the best recovery meal, but I had some greens too and even a protein shake. Also some locally baked sourdough bread I could've killed for a burger too, but that would've been a further 10 minutes of driving.

JeffAP60 04-27-24 09:50 PM

Only three miles, but I hit up the post office and the bank, so quite a productive ride :)

john m flores 04-27-24 10:10 PM

We converted my partner's Surly Long Haul Trucker to flat bars this morning. And then tested it out with a short ride through local wetlands to our fave barbecue joint. Need to tweak the front shifter but the cheesesteak was divine.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe55b0b75a.jpg

Troul 04-28-24 06:54 AM

79 miles.. 69°F dropped to 57°F, clouds roared in with the crackling atmospheric rivers. Bummed that I wasn't able to net triple digits.

Smaug1 04-29-24 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23224248)
A few years back, I belonged to a group of cyclists in the bike club which were probably about CAT 5s. Each weekend, a group ranging from 7-15 would get together and ride 60-70 miles at an average speed of about 20 MPH. This group ran well for five years until some outlaws joined us decided to disobey the rules, like blocking traffic lanes, running red lights, flipping off drivers and riding in an unsafe manner. The club (15,000 members) then dissolved the group as a result. Sad times but necessary. (The original members then had clandestine rides without the scofflaws)

I think our club is going to move the fast ride or change the route without making it public knowledge. If we start and finish at the same place but change the route, when the "fast guys" ride off the front, our guys will turn and thus separate from them.
If we change the start location, it will take the outlaws awhile to figure out where we are. We started from a location 7 miles away, years ago.
There may be some "shop competition" in the works too. Our club is sponsored by a local Trek shop that is owned by a former road pro. But this guy is about ALL kinds of cycling, and sells more comfort bikes than anything I think.
The outlaws are mostly attached to this smaller local shop and they maybe like to show that their riders are faster than our fancy club with our fancy sponsorship. We don't care about all that, but a lot of our club membership rides with our club jerseys, and we don't want to be associated with these guys in the eyes of the public or police.

Smaug1 04-29-24 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by Smaug1 (Post 23224216)
<snip>
This weekend, I have my daughter and I'm not hopeful to get a proper ride in, so I took Ye Olde Schwinn on the commute today. (only 4 miles, round trip) My stepdaughter is competing in the state solo singing competition tomorrow. Maybe my daughter and I will ride to it? Her first number is at her high school only 1.5 miles away, and the next one is an hour later across town, 7-3/4 miles away. That's an easy eBike ride, and we could go along the lake for better views and a few extra miles.

The forecasted rain wound up coming in 2.5 hours earlier than it should've on Friday, so I got showered and striped on the return commute. It was warm enough out and a short 2 mile commute, so a change of clothes and all was well. I was surprised at how much road grit was striped onto my jacket afterwards; the roads looked pretty clean...


We're thinking of taking the train downtown Chicago on Sunday to visit the Art Institute. Daughter said she wants to go ALL DAY, which is 11-5; not bad for a 12 year old! Then, she'll push me to take her to her favorite pizza place, Aurelio's in the south loop, on Michigan Ave. She has forgotten that we agreed that next time we'll go to The Berghoff instead. Maybe we'll take our cheap bikes? She has an old Trek mountain bike with street tires and a cushy seat and I have my 1972 Schwinn Varsity, which is good because it has quick-release NOTHING.
My daughter and I wound up barely leaving the house on Sunday, as it was raining off and on all day. We made brunch together in the morning, played on our phones awhile, then went to the LBS to look for decent quality flat pedals for my gravel bike, (they were closed, despite Google and one sign saying otherwise) then stopped by a local record store (I bought 4 CDs) and the local Play it Again Sports, where I got her a glow-in-the-dark "putter" for disc golf. We're hoping we can play frisbee with it without hurting our hands. She may bring her goalie gloves next time.

For Saturday, my stepdaughter made it to the state solo singing competition and got the highest rating. There is no overall winner or anything these days, just a score 1-5, where 1 is the best and that's what she got.
Here she is singing the song at the previous stage of competition; I think you'll like it!

Anyway, that was my Saturday, so not a lick of riding this weekend for me. I charged up an eBike for my daughter to ride in case we got out Sunday, but since we didn't, I'm commuting on it now this week to run the battery down to 50% or so.

At least my legs will be fresh for tonight's club ride! There are moderate and fast groups, with the moderate group going 15-17 and the fast group going 18-20. I'll be in the moderate group and should get in 24-28 miles.

jaxgtr 04-29-24 09:41 PM


Originally Posted by Smaug1 (Post 23226426)
For Saturday, my stepdaughter made it to the state solo singing competition and got the highest rating. There is no overall winner or anything these days, just a score 1-5, where 1 is the best and that's what she got.
Here she is singing the song at the previous stage of competition; I think you'll like it!
https://youtu.be/ptPQ3KPXVqY

My mother help start the Palm Beach Opera Company back in the 60's and she started singing professionally from age 13 to 59. My 2 siblings and I grew up with classical music and opera, were all taught how to read and arrange music, learned music theory, and could all play multiple instruments. My sister was very good with strings, she was a first chair all state, for Violin and Viola, but also played the piano. I was a second chair in Trumpet\French Horn\Baritone, but also played several windwood instruments, oboe and bassoon; and some piano, master of none, player of many as it were. My brother played anything with a reed, and played them all very well. They could also both sing, I was too shy to sing in front of people, I would freeze up, but I appreciate people with the courage to do that. I do however have a great ear for music and your step daughter, for her age, is very good and I hope she continues to follow that path if that is what she chooses to do. Singing in small area like that is can be a curse as you can hear every mistake and that can ruin your confidence if you choose to let it. She has a lot of power in her voice, great tone, very good range.

Kudo's to her and tell her to keep at it, you never know where it can take her in life. My sister's bachelors degree was paid for with a music scholarship.

jaxgtr 04-29-24 09:44 PM

I got in 25 tonight inside after work. No climbing to really speak off, just 300 ft.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.