Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

ls01 10-31-21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22290357)

nice

DougRNS 10-31-21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22290530)
I'm not 100% sure that the immune response he mentioned = flu-like symptoms

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c97329ae4.gif

words work better. In my opinion. (IMO)

ls01 10-31-21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22290493)
sound reasoning. Where were you last night when we needed you to set vol on the right track? He is a troubled bear.

I'm not convinced there is a "right" track for our V.V. .
There are multiple tracks, and there are V.V.
Red pill, Or Blue pill. This reality or that reality.

Velo Vol 10-31-21 03:01 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e06a81bbb.jpeg

ls01 10-31-21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22290534)
Good use of your legal education right there.

I thought it was just holding it'd breath...

ls01 10-31-21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22290496)
I had 3 full dose Moderna shots - December, January, and October. The reaction to each was about the same both in symptoms and duration.

I am sure others have had different experiences.

One day of side effects beats 14 days of COVID.

Those are not 6 months apart though.

abshipp 10-31-21 03:21 PM

Haven't done a 100k in a while.

​​​​​​That was beautiful, fun, and very hard.

BillyD 10-31-21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22290301)
He popped in a while back. IIRC, he'd had some health complications and had shelved riding. I guess he's one of those folks that feel funny about frequenting a forum for xyz when they no longer participate in xyz.

Edit: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...xviii-348.html

What kind of sense does that make? :innocent:

genejockey 10-31-21 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22290494)
Finally someone addressed the question I actually asked, I think.

Dude. That's how it works for many other vaccines. Others work differently. We got one (1) vaccination for smallpox, but that lasts a lifetime. You get periodic boosters for things like tetanus, because that immunity fades over time. A number of pediatric vaccinations including polio are given several times in infancy and then never again, because the repeated immunization boosts the response till it's high enough and permanent.

But at this point, nobody knows what will happen with COVID vaccination/boosts. Moderna and Pfizer are about equally protective after the 2nd shot, but Pfizer's protection drops off more quickly. Boosting brings both back up to the initial level. But what happens 6 months after boosting isn't known yet. Then there's the question of getting boosted with a different vaccine, which seems to be improve on at least the J&J vaccine.

So, when you ask what's going to happen, the answer is
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a686586824.jpg

abshipp 10-31-21 03:31 PM

I can't say that it was 100% fun, though. I have been having issues with my toes going numb ever since I got the Lake shoes.

This was the longest ride I've done in them, and the numbness transitioned into pain under the ball of my foot. Feelings of numbness and pain increased as power increased.

Could this be an insole issue? My cleats are all the way back as I've been doing for a while, so there's no real room for adjustment there. Numbness seems to be independent of BOA/Velcro tension.

​​​​​

​​​​​

genejockey 10-31-21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22290511)
what does a drowning gold fish mean?
#Cyptic

The herring is a lucky fish,
To all disease inured.
Should he be ill when caught at sea,
Immediately he's cured.

DougRNS 10-31-21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22290624)
The herring is a lucky fish,
To all disease inured.
Should he be ill when caught at sea,
Immediately he's cured.

reminds me of this re-worked sea shanty.

seedsbelize2 10-31-21 03:49 PM

First metric century since the Covid was just a twinkle in its father's eye. Then began the injuries, the lockdown, other injuries, other injuries. The body felt great today, and still does. The day was and is glorious. I was on some very beautiful and peaceful stretches of road. I look forward to doing that route again.

Mojo31 10-31-21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22290623)
I can't say that it was 100% fun, though. I have been having issues with my toes going numb ever since I got the Lake shoes.

This was the longest ride I've done in them, and the numbness transitioned into pain under the ball of my foot. Feelings of numbness and pain increased as power increased.

Could this be an insole issue? My cleats are all the way back as I've been doing for a while, so there's no real room for adjustment there. Numbness seems to be independent of BOA/Velcro tension.

​​​​​

​​​​​

I had a similar problem with a pair of Bontrager shoes after a year of using them. I resolved it by getting a decent pair of insoles, and loosening the Velcro strap over the toe box.

abshipp 10-31-21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22290663)
I had a similar problem with a pair of Bontrager shoes after a year of using them. I resolved it by getting a decent pair of insoles, and loosening the Velcro strap over the toe box.

What insoles did you use? Or maybe a better question would be what was the difference between the original insoles and the ones you replaced them with?

Mojo31 10-31-21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22290674)
What insoles did you use? Or maybe a better question would be what was the difference between the original insoles and the ones you replaced them with?

I got the Bontrager medium (yellow) insoles. They have a better fitting arch support that matches my arch, and are stiffer.

I haven’t had any similar issues with my Torch 3 shoes, but they have a stiffer carbon sole. Not sure if that makes a difference.

WhyFi 10-31-21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22290623)

​​​​​

​​​​​

Insoles might help. How are they on width? That's been a problem for me in the past, and it would manifest similarly.

big john 10-31-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22290674)

I use Superfeet insoles in my mtb shoes. They come in different colors representing hoe stiff they are. I like the green ones. In my road shoes I use the stock insoles but if they start bothering me I'll get more Superfeet.

genejockey 10-31-21 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22290694)
I use Superfeet insoles in my mtb shoes. They come in different colors representing hoe stiff they are. I like the green ones. In my road shoes I use the stock insoles but if they start bothering me I'll get more Superfeet.

I tried Specialized insoles in my newest shoes, which seemed just a hair too big when I got them, but it turns out I don't need them. And the insoles actually hurt.

abshipp 10-31-21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22290686)
I got the Bontrager medium (yellow) insoles. They have a better fitting arch support that matches my arch, and are stiffer.

I havenít had any similar issues with my Torch 3 shoes, but they have a stiffer carbon sole. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Gotcha, thanks!

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22290691)
Insoles might help. How are they on width? That's been a problem for me in the past, and it would manifest similarly.

They seem pretty ok? They are the wide version, but I do notice a bit of pressure on the outside of my foot but nothing super constricting.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22290694)

I'll look in to those, thanks!

big john 10-31-21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22290710)
I tried Specialized insoles in my newest shoes, which seemed just a hair too big when I got them, but it turns out I don't need them. And the insoles actually hurt.

I put the Specialized insoles in my work shoes. The last few years on the job my feet were pretty bad. Now I wear them when I work in the yard.

big john 10-31-21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22290712)

I'll look in to those, thanks!

They are pretty stiff and they help by evening out the pressure.

Trsnrtr 10-31-21 06:08 PM

My doctor knows that not only do I cut myself a lot but he also knows that I’m a cyclist and road rash is imminent. He reminded me that I was due for a tetanus booster. I never even remotely questioned why I had to routinely get a booster and I do. I knew I was due before he brought it up.

Trsnrtr family trivia: My great grandfather died of tetanus.

genejockey 10-31-21 06:10 PM

I was going to ride the Ironman today, but at the last minute I went the opposite way - the Canyon. And it was a glorious ride.

Here's a shot, approaching Canada Road on 92 E. Crystal Springs Lake in the background, where our water is kept.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59fe1ab0c9.jpg

big john 10-31-21 06:11 PM

I rode the mountain bike the last 3 Saturdays and have been avoiding faster group rides but today I went with a club ride of about 44 miles. 4 old guys and 3 young whippersnappers. One of the olds chased the smaller youngsters to the halfway point and that took a lot out of him and he sat on my wheel for over 15 miles into a headwind with rolling hills until I finally dropped him. That was the first time in a while I was able to drop someone who was on my wheel that long. I was wondering if he was ever going to take a pull, I didn't know he needed the draft.

Everyone else was long gone (they waited up the road except one guy took the easy way back). The fast old guy told me about his ablation and all the things he did to help his heart.Obviously it paid off because he did the hard section with those young dudes.

Anyway I felt better than I thought I would and it felt good to have that burn up and down both legs.