Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   War (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1247242)

Colorado Kid 02-22-22 05:25 AM

War

if War brakes out, (over there), how many people will take to their bikes due to the high cost of gasoline?:)

10 Wheels 02-22-22 05:31 AM

Breaks.

Leisesturm 02-22-22 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 22417420)
Breaks.

It's a conspiracy ...

blacknbluebikes 02-22-22 01:03 PM

I drive about 12k miles a year. My calcs for my VW say "$35 per month incremental cost if price/gallon rises $1." Ain't enough to make me stop using the car.

rumrunn6 02-22-22 01:16 PM

maybe he's taking his brakes out. who stops these days anyway. is it Friday yet?

pdlamb 02-22-22 01:17 PM

Probably the same as the number of people who took to their bikes the last time gas hit $5 a gallon; approximately zero.

rumrunn6 02-22-22 02:38 PM

when gas hit $4 a gal, somewhere between 2003-2009 I switched to a smaller SUV from 6 cyls to 4cyls

rybin 02-22-22 06:08 PM

I can't afford a car anyways. A spike in gas costs will definitely push back my timeline on getting a car for awhile... so i don't really have much choice

zandoval 02-22-22 06:23 PM

War would be a pretty good excuse for the current administration to relax it's production restrictions... Just Saying...

OK moderator... Better kill this thread or this post before it gets outta line...

Digger Goreman 02-22-22 08:34 PM

I'm already car light. I'll just get car lighter. Good excuse to get smug among the gasaholics as they moan while pissing away their money out their mufflers. :ride:

curbtender 02-22-22 08:45 PM

350htrr 02-24-22 04:33 PM

Filled up my F-350 this week and $277.00 was the final count for 1 tank of 87 gas... :popcorn

EDIT; I just talked to my brother who lives in a different city but still in BC, Canada, if I would have filled my truck up there, it would have cost me... $309.00... where he lives. :saweeet:

MinnMan 02-24-22 08:06 PM

My wife and I share one car, a 2016 Honda Fit, and after 6 years it has 18,000 miles on it. We live close to where we work, in a compact city, use bcycles and our feet, and so simply don't drive that much.

I do have sympathy for those who have to drive a lot and don't really have a choice. People who live in rural areas or in metropolitan areas where the combination of high real estate costs and poor public transportation networks force people to live in distant exurbs.

Also for people who drive for a living and are paying for their own fuel.

The rest, driving more as a lifestyle choice and driving bigger vehicles than they need? Not much sympathy.

Chuck M 02-24-22 08:09 PM

Filled up my wife's Accord tonight. Her office is two block from the house. I don't know if we will make it or not, but we will try.

Leisesturm 02-25-22 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 350htrr (Post 22420270)
Filled up my F-350 this week and $277.00 was the final count for 1 tank of 87 gas... :popcorn

EDIT; I just talked to my brother who lives in a different city but still in BC, Canada, if I would have filled my truck up there, it would have cost me... $309.00... where he lives. :saweeet:

So $CAD then. Makes quite a difference. If I was running things, gas would cost $10/gal. USD. It should. Then, perhaps, this sub-forum would actually have some relevance. As it is, it serves to discuss CAR issues far more than it does BIKE issues. Gotta love the irony. Not.

Steve B. 02-25-22 09:06 AM

Think about all those Amazon Prime and UPS trucks needing fuel, with everybody and his uncle shopping mail order. My wife and I went shopping yesterday for new dishes, Bed, Bath and Beyond had Zip, neither did Home Serve or Home Goods, so no shes online, like everbody else, so the costs of all goods goes skyrocketing along with gasoline.

curbtender 02-25-22 10:57 AM

https://www.chevron.com/worldwide/russia

Bald Paul 02-25-22 01:03 PM

People will complain bitterly about the price of gasoline, and how much it costs to fill their tanks. They may even cut back on non-essential driving, or look for a more fuel efficient vehicle. But. they probably won't drag their old bicycle out for any serious commuting or short trips.

During the first gas crisis in 1973, when you couldn't always find gas, I rode my bicycle back and forth to work, about 8 miles each way.

MinnMan 02-25-22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 22420810)
Think about all those Amazon Prime and UPS trucks needed fuel, with everybody and his uncle shopping mail order. My wife and I went shopping yesterday for new dishes, Bed, Bath and Beyond had Zip, neither did Home Serve or Home Goods, so no shes online, like everbody else, so the costs of all goods goes skyrocketing along with gasoline.

Maybe not forever.
https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...-rivian-2020-2

Polaris OBark 02-25-22 02:33 PM

What about all of the people who have to drive massive pickup trucks 50 miles to the trailhead to mountain bike down a hill?

The entire mountain bike industry is doooooooooooooooooooomed!

grizzly59 02-25-22 03:17 PM

A mountain bike and a backpack might travel 100 km faster than a car once the road is gridlocked

rybin 02-26-22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22421115)
People will complain bitterly about the price of gasoline, and how much it costs to fill their tanks. They may even cut back on non-essential driving, or look for a more fuel efficient vehicle. But. they probably won't drag their old bicycle out for any serious commuting or short trips.

During the first gas crisis in 1973, when you couldn't always find gas, I rode my bicycle back and forth to work, about 8 miles each way.

Must be a trip to have lived through the first one, and then see all this...

Anyways, I feel you. I used to walk 5-10 miles to get where I needed to if I had no alternative (when you're broke you find a way), so biking that distance sounds easy. A lot of people in the US seem to have problems with any "inconvenience" from what I can tell though, so i also doubt most would do much to change their lifestyles

downtube42 02-26-22 12:14 AM

I live just outside Portland, OR, where city folks come to open up the throttle on their tuned Subarus and the country folks come to make noise with their pick-ups. You'd think fuel was free. I don't think $10/gal would make a dent in this behavior. Maybe at $20/gal it would start to drop off? People are pretty wrapped up in expressing themselves on the road.

rybin 02-26-22 12:21 AM

True, people in the Bay Area, in California, or a lot of the cities honestly, are very attached to their cars and use them for expression. A lot of people out where I am can't afford a decent house, but do have the money for some nice things, so they put what disposable income they do have into a nice car that they really personalize. It would take pretty high gas prices to stunt that

Bald Paul 02-26-22 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by rybin (Post 22421637)
Must be a trip to have lived through the first one, and then see all this...

Anyways, I feel you. I used to walk 5-10 miles to get where I needed to if I had no alternative (when you're broke you find a way), so biking that distance sounds easy. A lot of people in the US seem to have problems with any "inconvenience" from what I can tell though, so i also doubt most would do much to change their lifestyles

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22421642)
I live just outside Portland, OR, where city folks come to open up the throttle on their tuned Subarus and the country folks come to make noise with their pick-ups. You'd think fuel was free. I don't think $10/gal would make a dent in this behavior. Maybe at $20/gal it would start to drop off? People are pretty wrapped up in expressing themselves on the road.

Originally Posted by rybin (Post 22421647)
True, people in the Bay Area, in California, or a lot of the cities honestly, are very attached to their cars and use them for expression. A lot of people out where I am can't afford a decent house, but do have the money for some nice things, so they put what disposable income they do have into a nice car that they really personalize. It would take pretty high gas prices to stunt that

Wait until they cannot get gas at any price, like it sometimes was in '73 (good grief, I'm old!) People were coming out to find holes had been punched in their gas tanks so people could steal the gas. Lines at the stations were miles long, with many cars running out of gas in line. The owners would push them up to the station, only to see them put out the "NO GAS" sign. Things got ugly. A friend of mine worked at a gas station then, and his job was to sit on the trunk of the last car in line they figured they had enough gas for with the NO GAS sign. (BTW, you were only allowed 5 gallons at a time, and could only buy it on even or odd days, depending on the last number of your license plate. They were regulary stolen, too.) He was assaulted on more than one occasion. Eventually, he would hide 'his lil' friend' behind the sign, if you get the Scarface analogy.