Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Commute Addiction (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=605146)

Thigh Master 11-25-09 12:25 PM

Commute Addiction

"Hi, my name is Thigh, and I'm an addict." I've recently been appreciating having a neighbor who also commutes - about once a week we bump into one another and share our latest commute story, equipment issue, average speed, mishaps, etc. I also love it when one of us is already home watching the other one pull in from work on the bike. What is it about commuting on a bike on a regular basis that is such a special joy to share???

We all have our stories - I have been addicted to commuting since high school (I think I was a bit infatuated with the character in "Breaking Away"). I had saved up $200 and my Dad thought I would buy my first car - instead I bought a black, steel, Ross Super Grand Tour. My commute from Zionsville to Witham Hospital was 18 miles one-way and I loved the hot summer ride through the corn fields. Later, I went to Purdue and often rode home 55 miles on the weekend. I also commuted in Boulder, Colorado for many years, and now, almost 30 years since my first, official commute (and two bikes later) I am lucky enough to have the perfect 30-minute ride to work on a safe, smooth piece of pavement called Foothill Expressway. Apologies for babbling on...

tjspiel 11-25-09 01:37 PM

I have a commuting neighbor that I trade stories with too, although I never ride with him. He gets up way too early ;-)

It does have an addictive quality to it and I'm not sure I know exactly why. Part of it for me is that I like to tinker with things and bikes are a lot simpler than cars to tinker with. It's also cheaper to keep a spare so I can be working on one and still have another available to ride on.

asphalt junkie 11-25-09 02:37 PM

My wife says I'm addicted to biking, particularly since I started commuting and spending so much time on preparation, maintenance and equipment, etc. Taking the computer to bed at night to chat on the bike forum doesn't help. In fact she's looking at me that way right now and it's the middle of the day. Some of my coworkers are curious about my biking obsession but most are dismissive, particularly as it gets darker and colder. The guy is clearly nuts... which is what I would have thought a couple years ago. I moderate my addiction by driving into work now and then. But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it.

Indie 11-25-09 02:44 PM

I tend not to talk to people on the commute. But I love the fresh air, the control over route and speed, the relative regularity of travel time when compared to the subway. I get incredibly cranky when I start riding the subway in the winter.

daven1986 11-25-09 02:56 PM

You've only had 2 bikes in 30 years? What happened to N+1?

I talk to a guy down my road about commuting - he commutes by bike too. It is good to have someone to chat to IRL about your hobby and to share it!

xtrajack 11-25-09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by asphalt junkie (Post 10075964)
My wife says I'm addicted to biking, particularly since I started commuting and spending so much time on preparation, maintenance and equipment, etc. Taking the computer to bed at night to chat on the bike forum doesn't help. In fact she's looking at me that way right now and it's the middle of the day. Some of my coworkers are curious about my biking obsession but most are dismissive, particularly as it gets darker and colder. The guy is clearly nuts... which is what I would have thought a couple years ago. I moderate my addiction by driving into work now and then. But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it.

Exactly

Thigh Master 11-25-09 05:05 PM

... I moderate my addiction by driving into work now and then. But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it.

Your're right... adventure is a huge part of it. I also like your avatar, asphalt junkie, part of my initial inspiration. The Italian parts of the breaking Away soundtrack still get my legs going.

daredevil 11-25-09 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thigh Master (Post 10075541)
Apologies for babbling on...

Apologies not necessary....we understand. :) I too have been proudly addicted for a long time now.

BigDaddyPete 11-25-09 07:43 PM

I think we all have those stories and love to share. And that is one of the nicest places to commute. As much as I love being home on the East Coast, commuting on the Peninsula was awesome.

hairnet 11-25-09 08:01 PM

There is this one real fast guy I share a big part of my route with, but I only see him every now and again. I usually keep a chill pace on my commute, 17-18, while he seems to ride at 100%. When he passes me I try to pick up my pace and ride with him until we split off.

Just a couple days ago I had to stop at the art store on my route and there he was! He gives me a high five as if he has known me for a long time, then takes off. I talked with some of the employees and they tell me he works at the store, his name, and how far his commute is. I feel like I made a new friend, but I have to actually have a conversation with him next time.

akohekohe 11-25-09 08:13 PM

When I was four years old I rode my tricycle to the strip mall which was about 2 miles away. I didn't make it all the way back because they my mother called the police when she couldn't find me. They never believed I had ridden all the way to the mall and was on my way home when they caught me when I was almost home. That was, I guess, my first "commute." I've never stopped. It is strange when I talk to people who took up cycling again as an adult ... I just cannot imagine why they stopped in the first place ...

denny.weinmann 11-25-09 10:05 PM

I've recently moved to the east coast (south east CT) from Kansas. I've been bikeless for awhile, as someone decided to steal my bike a month before I moved. But I purchased a new bike after arriving and I had my first commute via bike to work today and it was wonderful. Wet, but wonderful! I feel that addiction coming on already! I also feel that I need to get some fenders real soon!

mustang1 11-25-09 10:08 PM

I hate meeting people on a commute. It usually means I have to slow down to their pace and have a friendly chat, or it means if I'm going slightly faster than them, they feel the need to draft me. Just go away, I dont wanna talk to anyone.

daredevil 11-25-09 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mustang1 (Post 10077197)
I hate meeting people on a commute. It usually means I have to slow down to their pace and have a friendly chat, or it means if I'm going slightly faster than them, they feel the need to draft me. Just go away, I dont wanna talk to anyone.

You have had someone draft you on your commute more than once? Actually, that's kind of funny...sorry. :o

rumrunn6 11-27-09 08:49 AM

welcome to the pack

30 minutes one way on a safe, smooth piece of pavement called Foothill Expressway sounds like a cakewalk and I am envious! :-) any pics? at what speed do the cars travel? what are your current commute temps? be honest I can take it. :-)

agarose2000 11-27-09 09:07 AM

I indeed think the most overlooked benefit of commuting, is that it can really be an adventure.

I noticed this as of late when I've been riding a lot at night home from work, with all my lights, blinkers, reflectives, finding various detours that are faster/slower, dealing with the vagaries of various speeds of traffic, etc.

For sure, the fun of the whole problem-solving and even exploring aspect of commuting has become the reason I do it. I don't do it for fitness (I race, and my commute riding is too slow to be considered fitness for me), economy, or environment. I do it now because it's fun, and feels like an adventure - especially at night, when I can get all my commute gear going!

I actually don't think I'd enjoy a 30 minute straight stretch in a big bike lane anymore for commuting...

crazybikerchick 11-27-09 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Indie (Post 10075993)
I tend not to talk to people on the commute. But I love the fresh air, the control over route and speed, the relative regularity of travel time when compared to the subway. I get incredibly cranky when I start riding the subway in the winter.

Get a winter beater and avoid cranky?

capejohn 11-27-09 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mustang1 (Post 10077197)

Ha! That's funny.I know your pain. Those guys in t-shirts and cut offs tailgaiting us are very annoying.

cyclefreaksix 11-27-09 10:07 PM

Is it crazy that the more adverse the weather, the more I enjoy the commute? We don't get the cold and snow here, but I've ridden in some pretty crazy storms. Had a lady roll down her window and tell me I was crazy once during a driving rain and 35mph constant wind.

That made my week.

coldfeet 11-27-09 11:59 PM

I don't know that I'm addicted.....as such..

but i do find I get sickly and cranky when i can't don't , for any extended time.

like now.

cyclefreaksix 11-28-09 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by coldfeet (Post 10083020)
I don't know that I'm addicted.....as such..

but i do find I get sickly and cranky when i can't don't , for any extended time.

like now.

The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Come on say it with me, " My name is Coldfeet, and I am a commuting addict".

There, that wasn't so hard now was it?

Tude 11-28-09 11:20 AM

< snip > But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it. < snip >

While I'll admit the daily city ride is not an adventure, but rather a "trial" of me versus driver's who are trying to get into their coffee places (some of the worst places I cross) or getting on or off the expressway (the ultra worst bicycling spots ever) ... however getting out on the roadie and letting the legs stretch for many miles is awesome - and I just cleaned up the offroader and got it ready for the snow - which is also wonderful (course I say that now - ask me again in March, hehe).

And today is the day that I'm switching tires out on the commuter - I have a mtb - and for now it's going back to a knobby tire for this week and will probably install the studded tires next week ... afterall - Tiz the Season!

Standalone 11-28-09 12:30 PM

Hello, my name is Joe and I'm a commuting addict.

God grant me the serenity to change gears or outerwear when I must, to accept the things I cannot change about fellow road users, and the wisdom to know the difference in weather that may occur by the time the evening commute comes around.

asphalt junkie 11-30-09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thigh Master (Post 10076305)
Your're right... adventure is a huge part of it. I also like your avatar, asphalt junkie, part of my initial inspiration. The Italian parts of the breaking Away soundtrack still get my legs going.

I started getting serious about biking after that movie, though I never raced. By serious I mean I've always owned a couple, have done some touring and generally bike for exercise. Been a while since I saw that. Just put it atop my Netflix queue. Thanks!

asphalt junkie 11-30-09 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tude (Post 10083861)
While I'll admit the daily city ride is not an adventure, but rather a "trial" of me versus driver's who are trying to get into their coffee places (some of the worst places I cross) or getting on or off the expressway (the ultra worst bicycling spots ever) ... however getting out on the roadie and letting the legs stretch for many miles is awesome - and I just cleaned up the offroader and got it ready for the snow - which is also wonderful (course I say that now - ask me again in March, hehe).

And today is the day that I'm switching tires out on the commuter - I have a mtb - and for now it's going back to a knobby tire for this week and will probably install the studded tires next week ... afterall - Tiz the Season!

A lot of toil and trial, no doubt. But over the course of many months it adds up to an adventure of sorts, I think. Particularly doing it year-round or something close to it. It takes planning, determination, guts, highly specialized equipment and a bit of crazed obsession, mixed with more than just a small dose of the unexpected.