Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Pirkaus 04-16-20 03:36 AM

Woke up to this, what the frickity frack ​​! :mad:
Should be gone by lunch time.

Pirkaus 04-16-20 03:40 AM

My father passed away in 1991, just before his 64th birthday. He taught me so much, I miss him every day.
We were lucky though, he went in to remission for 3 years before he finally succumbed to the big C.

Pirkaus 04-16-20 03:42 AM

We can only hope that Darwin is selective with these groups. But life doesn't work that way.

Pirkaus 04-16-20 03:53 AM

My Lyezyne Spoort Dive HP is a great pocket pump

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...97ad73abc1.jpg

indyfabz 04-16-20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21420777)
Before the city picks it all up, guys in clapped out 1993 F-150s and the like come through and pick all the metal goodies out of the piles.

It's a celebration, really. :bday:

Heh. In my ‘hood there are often two trucks that cruise by. One comes the night before trash day. The other comes the morning of. Anything metal or that might be resale-able, like electronics and vacuums, get snapped up. One time I put a VCR on my curbside planter. It was gone in under 10 min. When I was moving out of an apartment in 1999 I put a lamp on the curb. Went back inside to grab some more stuff. Went back out a few minutes later and saw a guy half way down the block carrying the lamp.

Pirkaus 04-16-20 04:08 AM

A similar thing here are "wood chucks", picking up the trees left by clearing power lines.

Bah Humbug 04-16-20 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21420706)
Hola.

Que tal?

My ability to produce Spanish, or really any foreign language, is quite low at the moment. I can understand many of them reasonably well though, especially written.

MoAlpha 04-16-20 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21421016)
We can only hope that Darwin is selective with these groups. But life doesn't work that way.

Right. Just look at the geographics and demographics for the key to the politics.

WhyFi 04-16-20 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21420834)
Dont know if you all have seen the protests going on in Lansing. Bunch of morons decided the state gov. Has gone too far. So they all drove to Lansing. To show the governor what they thought of her stay home orders. Then they proceeded to get out of their cars and mingle. What a bunch of numb skulls.

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21420904)
I learned a few minutes ago that a lawsuit has been filed against the state.

I really am torn by this. I dont like what the govt. But the alternative is no good either.

If I didn't already know the answer, I'd ask, "how dumb can people be?"

Isn't MI one of the states being hit the hardest?

bampilot06 04-16-20 06:13 AM

More people were both in my local airport and when I got to charlotte yesterday. Not sure if more people are traveling or with the reduced flights it’s forcing more people at the airport at the same time.

I had to run some errands yesterday before I left and at 130pm there was a lot more traffic than I had been seeing.

datlas 04-16-20 06:17 AM

Anyone here good with accounting? I have always done my own taxes because they are stupid simple and all my income is from my company which I get a W-2 from.

However, there is talk of selling my company, for which we each get a big DUMP of $$$....at the start, which I am sure will be taxed....but if we leave the new entity in the first 5 years we have to give back a pro-rata amount of the money they gave us. I can't predict the future, but if I get fed up after a year or two, I would have to return the money including the taxes I paid, which means I may actually LOSE money on the deal. Sad!

I suppose I need to consult an accountant, but I wonder if there is a way I can get some way to distribute the money over time or in a way that if I have to return some of it, I won't get taxed?

abshipp 04-16-20 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21420526)
Past that, I've always hated talking with meals - it just encourages people to [chew] with their mouths open.

My paternal grandparents talk with food in their mouth, especially my grandfather. Drives me crazy.

I also cannot be in a room with people that's dead quiet aside from the sound of people eating. Usually I'm a pretty level-headed guy and the majority of things don't really bother me, but having to be in a quiet room with someone eating is torture.

Pirkaus 04-16-20 06:28 AM

Diner conversation between bites, is most pleasant. Talking with a mouthful of food is disgusting, as well as chewing with your mouth open, like a cow, yuck.

MoAlpha 04-16-20 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21421093)
Anyone here good with accounting? I have always done my own taxes because they are stupid simple and all my income is from my company which I get a W-2 from.

However, there is talk of selling my company, for which we each get a big DUMP of $$$....at the start, which I am sure will be taxed....but if we leave the new entity in the first 5 years we have to give back a pro-rata amount of the money they gave us. I can't predict the future, but if I get fed up after a year or two, I would have to return the money including the taxes I paid, which means I may actually LOSE money on the deal. Sad!

I suppose I need to consult an accountant, but I wonder if there is a way I can get some way to distribute the money over time or in a way that if I have to return some of it, I won't get taxed?

Sounds abstruse.

Our taxes are fairly complex and I regard the exorbitant fees our accountant charges as stay out of jail insurance, However, we still catch things his shop misses. My advice is hire someone, but know as much as you can and check their work.

seedsbelize 04-16-20 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21421016)

In the coming weeks and months we will see humanity at its worst. World wide, most likely. We are seeing it here, based on superstion. We are seeing it there, based on stupidity. What other forms will it take?

seedsbelize 04-16-20 06:47 AM

Great to be back.
I hope I can deliver some quality content

MoAlpha 04-16-20 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21421130)
Great to be back.
I hope I can deliver some quality content

Voilà!

WhyFi 04-16-20 07:05 AM

In bike-related news, with time on my hands from the cold snap that went through, I decided to swap out my chains with 443 miles on Waxed Chain A. It stayed exceptionally quiet for the first 250 - 300 miles and was audible but not bothersome thereafter (though this was mostly when chain angle wasn't exactly ideal). No accumulated gunk on the drivetrain and it was nice to be able to swap using bare hands. Hands didn't come away perfectly clean, but it was just a light dirt smudging that washed away easily and well within two singings of "happy birthday."

Now that Chain B is on, I'm deciding on whether I'll re-wax Chain A now-ish or if I'll wait another 3-4 weeks and do both at the same time... :foo: I suppose that batching them really only saves the ~1 hour of warm-up time, which is hands-off anyway, and it was nice to have Chain B ready and waiting so that it was literally a 2-minute process.

rjones28 04-16-20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21421012)
Woke up to this, what the frickity frack ​​! :mad:
Should be gone by lunch time.

We had about an inch of frickity frack this morning. Should also be gone by lunch time.

seedsbelize 04-16-20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21421161)
In bike-related news, with time on my hands from the cold snap that went through, I decided to swap out my chains with 443 miles on Waxed Chain A. It stayed exceptionally quiet for the first 250 - 300 miles and was audible but not bothersome thereafter (though this was mostly when chain angle wasn't exactly ideal). No accumulated gunk on the drivetrain and it was nice to be able to swap using bare hands. Hands didn't come away perfectly clean, but it was just a light dirt smudging that washed away easily and well within two singings of "happy birthday."

Now that Chain B is on, I'm deciding on whether I'll re-wax Chain A now-ish or if I'll wait another 3-4 weeks and do both at the same time... :foo: I suppose that batching them really only saves the ~1 hour of warm-up time, which is hands-off anyway, and it was nice to have Chain B ready and waiting so that it was literally a 2-minute process.

Perhaps if you hosed down chain A before removing it, you could save yourself some handwashing time

seedsbelize 04-16-20 07:25 AM

Handwashing.
My bed was positioned with a bull's-eye view of the sink. I watched many doctors was their hands, and decided they must have full classes dedicated to it. I now know how ti do it well, with two hands. I have only one for the foreseeable future.
I need instructions for washing just one hand. I'm thinking the 20% Clorox spray might be the way to go.

rjones28 04-16-20 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21421088)
More people were both in my local airport and when I got to charlotte yesterday. Not sure if more people are traveling or with the reduced flights it’s forcing more people at the airport at the same time.

I had to run some errands yesterday before I left and at 130pm there was a lot more traffic than I had been seeing.

TSA passenger volume has been under 100k for a week. Maybe they're all in Charlotte.

LAJ 04-16-20 07:26 AM

Holy cow. It appears the Power Meter market has shut down. I think WhyFi's Power2Max might be the best bet for you, MoAlpha.

Bah Humbug 04-16-20 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21420546)
Two years of high school and a year of college says otherwise.

One of my worst college classroom memories: the first day of "Intermediate" Spanish, the instructor walks in and starts yapping away.

I sat there staring at him, "wut"

It's a dam site easier than Mandarin.

bampilot06 04-16-20 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21421196)
TSA passenger volume has been under 100k for a week. Maybe they're all in Charlotte.

charlotte and dallas are now the two major hubs for american. philly is dead.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0e5ddcae1.jpeg