Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

genejockey 01-28-22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22390464)
Positive
One week in isolation.
When I finally get back on the bike I will have been about a month off it. Or can cycling be done in isolation? In any case, I don't see myself as being ready for that leap in the immediate future.
We were on a domestic flight Monday evening, and the first symptoms came on Tuesday night. Is it that fast, or did I pick it up before that?

Generally 3-5 days. One day would be pretty unllikely.

genejockey 01-28-22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22390513)
Something we were discussing this morning. If Omicton doesn't enter the lungs, what is it that is killing Omicron patients?

It's not binary. It doesn't enter the lungs AS WELL AS Delta or the original isolate, but it still does. People really need to stop thinking in binaries, and start thinking in probabilities.

Velo Vol 01-28-22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22390466)
One of my employees is two blocks away and heard it happen.

Video?

Something we were discussing this morning. If Omicton doesn't enter the lungs, what is it that is killing Omicron patients?

Their immune systems.

seedsbelize2 01-28-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22390364)
All my fault.

Much appreciated.

datlas 01-28-22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22390528)
Generally 3-5 days. One day would be pretty unllikely.

Agree one day is too soon, but apparently Omicron incubation is 2-4 days.

bampilot06 01-28-22 03:31 PM

my whole day was canceled due to weather, luckily I found out before I got to New York.

datlas 01-28-22 03:35 PM

Heidi's Senior Recital is postponed a week due to the stupid snow.

genejockey 01-28-22 03:40 PM

We in the California facility of our company used to feel some level of envy for out Maryland colleagues, who would get Snow Days. Then we started getting Smoke Days. I think I'd still rather have the Snow Days.

bampilot06 01-28-22 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22390701)
We in the California facility of our company used to feel some level of envy for out Maryland colleagues, who would get Snow Days. Then we started getting Smoke Days. I think I'd still rather have the Snow Days.

snow days are awesome til you cross the imaginary line of adult hood. Now snow days suck.

rjones28 01-28-22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22390753)
snow days are awesome til you cross the imaginary line of adult hood. Now snow days suck.

I hadn't noticed.

DougRNS 01-28-22 04:49 PM

co-morbidities, auto accidents, gun shot wounds. With or from that is the question.

DougRNS 01-28-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22390628)
Agree one day is too soon, but apparently Omicron incubation is 2-4 days.

I was exposed Tuesday so Saturday is day 4. I'll be in the clear by Sunday.
#KnockingOnWood.

genejockey 01-28-22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22390780)
co-morbitities, auto accidents, gun shot wounds. With or from that is the question.

No, it really isn't. The folks in ICU on ventilators are dying from COVID. Period. They may be dying from COVID because they have a condition that predisposed them to be more susceptible, but they're dying from COVID. This "dying from/dying with" nonsense is bulls**t.

Velo Vol 01-28-22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22390753)
Now snow days suck.

We know.

genejockey 01-28-22 06:43 PM

Oh! I know you'll all be thoroughly unmoved to hear that I have identified the source of the *PING!* sound when going over sharp bumps on the Litespeed. Turns out the noise is from the flared end of the handle of the Zefal HPx pump striking the bottom of the top tube. NOT chainslap. That means I can just stuff a piece of foam in there to stop the noise.

MoAlpha 01-28-22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22390572)
Much appreciated.

De nada, Úse.

MoAlpha 01-28-22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22390785)
No, it really isn't. The folks in ICU on ventilators are dying from COVID. Period. They may be dying from COVID because they have a condition that predisposed them to be more susceptible, but they're dying from COVID. This "dying from/dying with" nonsense is bulls**t.

Yes. This is really a question of probability over time. The chronic conditions raise your, say, annual chance of crumping, but COVID raises it significantly at the daily level. We all have predispositions to whatever ultimately kills us, but if I die on the road it will be from acute automobile disease, not chronic cycling.

Velo Vol 01-28-22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22390880)
We all have predispositions to whatever ultimately kills us, but if I die on the road it will be from acute automobile disease, not chronic cycling.

You could be involved in a non-vehicular accident.

MoAlpha 01-28-22 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22390895)
You could be involved in a non-vehicular accident.

Yes, but less likely and just substitute dumbassery for vehicular disease.

Mojo31 01-28-22 07:02 PM

I would offer this comparison:

I have hypertension. If I contract Covid, and die from a heart attach, then I probably died with Covid. But if I died from Covid caused respiratory failure, then I died from Covid even though the hypertension made me more susceptible.

Mojo31 01-28-22 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22390873)
Oh! I know you'll all be thoroughly unmoved to hear that I have identified the source of the *PING!* sound when going over sharp bumps on the Litespeed. Turns out the noise is from the flared end of the handle of the Zefal HPx pump striking the bottom of the top tube. NOT chainslap. That means I can just stuff a piece of foam in there to stop the noise.

Last Sunday on my ride I get hearing a clunking sound going over rough spots. I kept trying to find something wrong with the bike, but everything was in order. I was stumped. Ended up it was my helmet hitting my sunglasses going over the rough parts. It was the first time wearing those glasses on the road.

Velo Vol 01-28-22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22390897)
Yes, but less likely and just substitute dumbassery for vehicular disease.

Is that an official cause of death?

seedsbelize2 01-28-22 07:13 PM

The highest likelihood of my being exposed was Friday evening, at the chiropractor's office. It was the wildest chiropractor session I've experienced in 25 years of chiropractors.
I was having trouble breathing without my mask, face down on a massage table. Once I rolled over I put it on. He wore one the whole time.
So if I was exposed Friday, when would I begin testing positive? And when would I begin shedding? It all gets so much more interestin when it's up close and personal.

Velo Vol 01-28-22 07:14 PM

Folks may mock my ancient technology, but you can't beat this.

MoAlpha 01-28-22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22390904)
Is that an official cause of death?

You can write whatever you want on a death certificate in most jurisdictions, as far as I know.