Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

bampilot06 04-18-22 11:41 AM




pretty entertaining. I doubt I could make it up the hill.

genejockey 04-18-22 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22476216)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-251n9MwU



pretty entertaining. I doubt I could make it up the hill.

I liked when he was trying to figure out how to even get started.

indyfabz 04-18-22 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476223)
I liked when he was trying to figure out how to even get started.

When he hits the fence.

LesterOfPuppets 04-18-22 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476158)
Cripes, and here I've been posting pics of my collection for free! From now on, if you want to see my bikes, it's $40 a head!

I charge extra for sniffing the saddles. $10 per, $20 for Brooks or Ideale sniffs.

genejockey 04-18-22 12:52 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22476307)
I charge extra for sniffing the saddles. $10 per, $20 for Brooks or Ideale sniffs.

You'd have to look in somebody else's collection for those. I know the C&V folks love them, but I tend to think that "It takes a while to break them in" means the rider is adapting to the saddle, not the other way 'round.

genejockey 04-18-22 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22476306)
When he hits the fence.

The problem I have with the video is that mostly it doesn't look all that steep. I mean, I don't doubt it's close to "you need stairs to climb it" steepness, but when he's trying to get started, something about the video doesn't make clear he's trying to start on a 20% grade.

Velo Vol 04-18-22 01:33 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22476216)

Who's going to ride a horse on a 25%+ hill?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...208bd407e1.png

datlas 04-18-22 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22476216)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-251n9MwU



pretty entertaining. I doubt I could make it up the hill.

No thanks. I do love me some good hills, but I am perfectly happy with 8-10%, even for miles and miles. I don't even mind shorter pitches of 15% but more than that is too steep.

Mojo31 04-18-22 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22476376)
Who's going to ride a horse on a 25%+ hill?

More likely a horse than a bike.

A goat would be best.

BillyD 04-18-22 01:52 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476155)
BTW, his valuation of $250,000 would mean an average value of $2500 each.

How dare you, that's his conservative estimate. :notamused:

BillyD 04-18-22 02:07 PM

My house has a 25% driveway. I don't even think about riding it, even on a nice day. :lol:


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c10880748.jpeg

Bah Humbug 04-18-22 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476215)
Yep, that happens. One of my coworkers had a breakthrough infection as well. Hit her about like the flu.

Welcome to the next stage of the pandemic, where everyone eventually gets it, and we seem to accept 500 people dying a day as the new normal.

Functionally, it just IS the new normal now.

genejockey 04-18-22 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22476393)
How dare you, that's his conservative estimate. :notamused:

Yuh.

I suspect a lot of the estimate is serious WAG, and another part is the highest Buy It Now price on Ebay for every single part on every bike. For example, if I look on Ebay right now for Shimano Sante components, I can find a whole groupset with a BIN price of $1260. I can find a Schwinn Circuit frame set for $400. A Cinelli Giro d'Italia bar for $120. A Cinelli 1a stem for $120. A San Marco Rolls saddle for $120. A SR seatpost for $55. Wolber Profil rims at $130 a pop.

That's $2335 for the 1989 Schwinn Circuit I bought for $450 - and at that, I overpaid a bit.

datlas 04-18-22 02:23 PM

The posting about the worst climb made me look at the pitch of another climb I like, County Park. It's listed as 0.4 miles at 11%, but it has some sections in the middle where I MUST use my bailout gear and I MUST stand up. Strava says those little *****es are 17-18%. That's plenty steep IMO.

​​​​​​https://www.strava.com/segments/4266154

genejockey 04-18-22 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22476435)
The posting about the worst climb made me look at the pitch of another climb I like, County Park. It's listed as 0.4 miles at 11%, but it has some sections in the middle where I MUST use my bailout gear and I MUST stand up. Strava says those little *****es are 17-18%. That's plenty steep IMO.

​​​​​​https://www.strava.com/segments/4266154

Someone laboriously measured the gradient on Old LaHonda, and found that at least one spot is 20% - the inside of a righthand switchback. All of us locals know that spot. It's where no matter how low your gears are, you're out of the saddle, grunt, grunt, grunting your way around it, hoping your HR doesn't go TOO high before you reach the telephone pole that marks the return to 'only' 10%.

indyfabz 04-18-22 02:28 PM

Just saw some Raptors outside The Four Seasons. Game 2 is tonight at 7:30.

big john 04-18-22 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22476388)
No thanks. I do love me some good hills, but I am perfectly happy with 8-10%, even for miles and miles. I don't even mind shorter pitches of 15% but more than that is too steep.

15% is pretty tough, especially after miles of climbing to get there, like Mt Baldy ski lifts. I've done the 23% climb of Balcom canyon 3 times, don't really want to do it again. I don't know what the steepest grades I've done on the mtb are. I've been to the Fargo Street event a few times but never tried to climb it. Years ago it was only road bikes but then people started bringing mtb's and even building special funny bikes just for the event. It's 33%.

genejockey 04-18-22 02:30 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22476441)
15% is pretty tough, especially after miles of climbing to get there, like Mt Baldy ski lifts. I've done the 23% climb of Balcom canyon 3 times, don't really want to do it again. I don't know what the steepest grades I've done on the mtb are. I've been to the Fargo Street event a few times but never tried to climb it. Years ago it was only rod bikes but then people started bringing mtb's and even building special funny bikes just for the event. It's 33%.
Visiting with Huell Howser: Bike Race - YouTube

Those old TT bikes with the 650 wheel in front would be perfect. You'd feel like you were riding on a level road!

LAJ 04-18-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476319)
You'd have to look in somebody else's collection for those. I know the C&V folks love them, but I tend to think that "It takes a while to break them in" means the rider is adapting to the saddle, not the other way 'round.

That, and it just smells like saddle soap or whatever it is that they do to them to season them. A true butt/saddle sniffer wouldn't settle for that, would they?

big john 04-18-22 02:44 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476443)
Those old TT bikes with the 650 wheel in front would be perfect. You'd feel like you were riding on a level road!

Right! That and add a jackshaft to get a super low gear and up you go. I even saw ElliptiGO type things going up there the last time I went by.
Here is a pic I took of the ATOC on Balcom Canyon just above the 23% section.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3c2dbe9d78.jpg

Mojo31 04-18-22 02:54 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22476435)
The posting about the worst climb made me look at the pitch of another climb I like, County Park. It's listed as 0.4 miles at 11%, but it has some sections in the middle where I MUST use my bailout gear and I MUST stand up. Strava says those little *****es are 17-18%. That's plenty steep IMO.

​​​​​​https://www.strava.com/segments/4266154

I don't see you on the top 25 leaderboard.

Of course, that little nugget would leave me gassed and likely dead from an assploded chest.

genejockey 04-18-22 02:56 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22476452)
That, and it just smells like saddle soap or whatever it is that they do to them to season them. A true butt/saddle sniffer wouldn't settle for that, would they?

I wouldn't know.

Mojo31 04-18-22 02:56 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22476441)
15% is pretty tough, especially after miles of climbing to get there, like Mt Baldy ski lifts. I've done the 23% climb of Balcom canyon 3 times, don't really want to do it again. I don't know what the steepest grades I've done on the mtb are. I've been to the Fargo Street event a few times but never tried to climb it. Years ago it was only road bikes but then people started bringing mtb's and even building special funny bikes just for the event. It's 33%.
Visiting with Huell Howser: Bike Race - YouTube

Marigold jacket just like Dr. Doug's.

genejockey 04-18-22 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22476464)
Right! That and add a jackshaft to get a super low gear and up you go. I even saw ElliptiGO type things going up there the last time I went by.
Here is a pic I took of the ATOC on Balcom Canyon just above the 23% section.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3c2dbe9d78.jpg

Another video showed a picture of the bike used to break the world speed record. The main chainring fed another chainring, presumably through a small gear. You could do the same in reverse - small ring feeds large ring which feeds small ring. Really, really low gear. So low you'd probably fall over.
EDIT: Ah, jackshaft. Had to look it up.

datlas 04-18-22 03:11 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22476479)
I don't see you on the top 25 leaderboard.

Of course, that little nugget would leave me gassed and likely dead from an assploded chest.

My PR on that is 3:24 which is way off the leaderboard. I donít have Strava premium so can only see top 10.

Must work harder. Top 10 is 2:24.

big john 04-18-22 03:13 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22476484)
Marigold jacket just like Dr. Doug's.

I don't know that guy but there are several club members I know on the video. The video is almost 20 years old according to IMDB.

datlas 04-18-22 03:17 PM

This one is my favorite local climb. It’s long enough (more than a Km) and plenty steep. My PR would give me QOM if I were a female, but clearly only mediocre for a guy.

https://www.strava.com/segments/580148

big john 04-18-22 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22476488)
Another video showed a picture of the bike used to break the world speed record. The main chainring fed another chainring, presumably through a small gear. You could do the same in reverse - small ring feeds large ring which feeds small ring. Really, really low gear. So low you'd probably fall over.
EDIT: Ah, jackshaft. Had to look it up.

https://www.copakeauction.com/ws/wp-...-1920x1076.jpg

Mojo31 04-18-22 03:27 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22476497)
My PR on that is 3:24 which is way off the leaderboard. I donít have Strava premium so can only see top 10.

Must work harder. Top 10 is 2:24.

Hate to break it to you but top 10 is now 2:21 according to the link you posted. :(

Not to worry though, I wouldn't be in the top 1,000,000.

A few weeks ago I tried to best my time on a flat 5 mile stretch that I've ridden a lot. I was trying to bust into the top 1,000 for that segment that day. It was balls to the friggin wall the whole way. But, alas, all for naught. I was slower than my best and got nowhere close to busting into the top 1,000.

It was about then that golf became my realistic retirement endeavor. The miniature kind.

genejockey 04-18-22 03:40 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22476513)

The record is currently 183+ mph, held by a woman, whose motorpacing vehicle appears to be a fuel dragster!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...abe9796315.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.