Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

browngw 02-28-18 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Charmlessman (Post 20195493)
I dont see a master link , do you?

Should I just ask for a master link at the bike shop?

I would just replace the chain. For under $20 you get a fresh clean chain that will run quiet and trouble free for years. Even a small amount of chain stretch will eat away at your cogs. If you do reuse it, check it with a proper chain stretch tool. My Robin Hood had a good looking non-stretched chain but it was stiff and sticky and I couldn't seem to get it clean. The new chain worked beautifully.

tiger style 02-28-18 04:17 PM

I inherited this James 3 speed and am trying to decide what to do with it. It's chrome, but I don't suppose it has much collector value?

http://s89693915.onlinehome.us/img/misc/the-james.jpg

Ballenxj 02-28-18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by tiger style (Post 20197254)
I inherited this James 3 speed and am trying to decide what to do with it. It's chrome, but I don't suppose it has much collector value?

It might have some collectability, I don't believe there were too many chrome 3 speeds in the past.

johnnyspaghetti 02-28-18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charmlessman (Post 20195493)
I dont see a master link , do you?

Should I just ask for a master link at the bike shop?

Nothing wrong with that chain except for a missing master link & dirt.
Get a small brush and clean that thing. Clean it like you clean your teeth, dunk it wipe it and see if you got it all. then doit again if needed. I don't see any rust.

Spend $2 on a master link. It will last you another 45-50 yrs.

johnnyspaghetti 02-28-18 06:34 PM

That is very unique, I would love to have that.

I have a pair of chrome fenders & chain cover off a Hercules that would really give it the look.

The 3-speed English market is narrow. Some parts of the country are better than others.

curbtender 02-28-18 06:35 PM

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...513938975.html

clubman 02-28-18 07:45 PM

I think not. Collectible 3 speeds have to be old, original condition and a desireable marque. Even then they show up cheap all the time. A modded James wouldn't make you much, even with chrome.

Ballenxj 02-28-18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20197643)
I think not. Collectible 3 speeds have to be old, original condition and a desireable marque. Even then they show up cheap all the time. A modded James wouldn't make you much, even with chrome.

So, that James is neither old, or originally a 3 speed? It does have a COOL factor going for it. :thumb:

Ballenxj 02-28-18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20197661)
So, that James is neither old, or originally a 3 speed? It does have a COOL factor going for it. :thumb:

I couldn't find enough to make heads nor tails of it, but if this is the same company, the James has quite a pedigree.
https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1914-j...adies-bicycle/

johnnyspaghetti 02-28-18 08:46 PM

That chrome James in the picture tiger style posted is crying out "Raleigh product"

BigChief 02-28-18 09:06 PM

I like that James. It could be left stripped down, stripped down with drop bars, or maybe full dressed roadster style with chrome fenders and chainguard. It may not be worth a lot of money, but it has plenty of charm.

clubman 02-28-18 09:21 PM

Looks like a Brimingham bike even with the rear mudguard stays. They weren't absorbed by Raleigh and seemed to have mostly went away after Francis Barnett got them in 57.

You know I think most all 3 speed genus are down with cool. Those early century James are VCC collectible. But this one has a centrepull brake, replaced cockpit, no accessories, crap seat and post etc. Nice crank, maybe williams and we should look for a date code on the back.The OP wanted an evaluation of sorts. Honest, I'd walk away from a $25 price tag...many more fish in the sea.

Oh yeah,OP inherited. So make it cool again, just don;t do it for money :thumb:

tiger style 02-28-18 09:29 PM

The serial number is consistent with a mid 1960s Raleigh. I was just curious if it might be a worthy restoration project for someone. Otherwise I’ll just probably put it back on the mean streets.

Ballenxj 02-28-18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by tiger style (Post 20197824)
The serial number is consistent with a mid 1960s Raleigh. I was just curious if it might be a worthy restoration project for someone. Otherwise Iíll just probably put it back on the mean streets.

As I've mentioned already, I think it's way cool, and if you rolled up on me with it for sale, depending on price, I'd most likely be riding it home. :thumb:

johnnyspaghetti 03-01-18 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I gave away the 1958 Robin Hood Sports step thru frame to a friend. I guess I'm very surprised what he did with it.

Attachment 601617

BigChief 03-01-18 09:21 AM

The days have gone down in the west, behind the hills into shadow

Salubrious 03-01-18 11:13 AM

FWIW, Raleigh did make chrome three speed frames. They were usually given to dealers as rewards and demos and so are rather rare.

If that is a Williams crank and not a copy, its worth $50 all by its lonesome.

johnnyspaghetti 03-01-18 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20198378)
The days have gone down in the west, behind the hills into shadow

It's always a long winter in Minn.

ascherer 03-01-18 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20198056)
I gave away the 1958 Robin Hood Sports step thru frame to a friend. I guess I'm very surprised what he did with it.

Attachment 601617

This is like some kind of weird taxidermy...like a moose head in a bar wearing sunglasses, a scarf and mardi gras beads.

Chaser95 03-02-18 01:34 AM

A few days back I asked for ways to raise the handle bars on my Raleigh Sports bike. One of the solutions was to install a modern stem that would require shimming the bars because there is a 1/16" difference in the bars and clamp diameter. I have searched vendors and have not yet found a shim that size. If that is the case what should I use for "shim material"? Thanks!

BigChief 03-02-18 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chaser95 (Post 20200092)
A few days back I asked for ways to raise the handle bars on my Raleigh Sports bike. One of the solutions was to install a modern stem that would require shimming the bars because there is a 1/16" difference in the bars and clamp diameter. I have searched vendors and have not yet found a shim that size. If that is the case what should I use for "shim material"? Thanks!

The diameter difference is 1/16" so the shim should be half that at 1/32" (.031), but anywhere close to that would be fine. A range between say .025 and .035. I like to use a softer material like brass or aluminum. For my Rudge with the long stem, I used a piece of lead chimney flashing. I kept hammering it thinner and trimming off the edges until it fit.

OTS 03-02-18 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chaser95 (Post 20200092)

Others might disagree but you can cut a shim yourself from an aluminum beer or soda can.

markk900 03-02-18 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by OTS (Post 20200163)
Others might disagree but you can cut a shim yourself from an aluminum beer or soda can.

+1 - more than one vehicle in my life has been repaired with the beer can shim.....

Chaser95 03-02-18 12:44 PM

I like it! I get to put a little bit of myself in it. I have plenty of hammers and snips as well as flashing and cans. Thanks again for your knowledge and support!

Salubrious 03-02-18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by OTS (Post 20200163)

Just to be clear here, the correct term is 'Bavarian Shim Stock'.