Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 07-19-20 11:20 AM

What size is the front wheel?

datlas 07-19-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595570)
What size is the front wheel?

24 inches per the Internet.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21595478)
I know that it would be wholly impractical for riding out here mostly from road conditions, but man they're just so cool.

Also alluding to what Bah Humbug has been talking about, I have absolutely no idea what size I would need.
​​​​​

AG used to hammer out endless hours in the corn fields, so there are places you could probably drive to. Not sure where you are in relation though.

abshipp 07-19-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595585)
AG used to hammer out endless hours in the corn fields, so there are places you could probably drive to. Not sure where you are in relation though.

There's plenty of quiet, straight miles out here.

The issue is that I wouldn't want to ride anything less than 28mm tires, even on a steel frame.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21595565)
that doesn't look especially aero, IMO.

Proper modern TT bikes weren't available yet, so that was what aero looked like. Carbon shaping allowed the headtube to get short so riders could get low enough without the smaller wheel. The smaller front wheel also helps in the TTT because it gets the rider's body physically closer to the rider in front, which aids the draft strength. It's bad for tri where you have flat supply issues.

Also, this was prior to everything being wind tunneled, so they had to build a frame and test it in the velodrome and see if it worked. We could do better now with steel if we wanted to, but it would still be slower than a P2.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21595591)
There's plenty of quiet, straight miles out here.

The issue is that I wouldn't want to ride anything less than 28mm tires, even on a steel frame.

I think the disc brake TT bikes can, at least some of them. That's getting towards big prices though.

Edit: Yep, the P3X and PseriesDisc can take 28mm measured with the UCI 4mm clearance.

BillyD 07-19-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595360)
The sooner we throw off this Puritan bull****, the better.

It's more than that. When they start wasting resources to pursue trivia, there's usually more going on than meets the eye. Irony not intended.

BillyD 07-19-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21595468)
I've stayed home all weekend. Absolutely zero desire to ride :(

Me neither.

kissTheApex 07-19-20 12:18 PM

I was late getting out the door (8:10-ish) this morning but really didnít expect the heat and damp so much so that I considered just closing the garage door and retreating back inside for a couple of seconds. :twitchy:

DougRNS 07-19-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595596)
Proper modern TT bikes weren't available yet, so that was what aero looked like. Carbon shaping allowed the headtube to get short so riders could get low enough without the smaller wheel. The smaller front wheel also helps in the TTT because it gets the rider's body physically closer to the rider in front, which aids the draft strength. It's bad for tri where you have flat supply issues.

Also, this was prior to everything being wind tunneled, so they had to build a frame and test it in the velodrome and see if it worked. We could do better now with steel if we wanted to, but it would still be slower than a P2.

As well documented here, I am frequently admonished by [MENTION=25227]Velo Vol[/MENTION] to be more specific. I was talking about rider position not the equipment.

They look too upright and prone to catching wind. I was thinking lower with flat back.

rjones28 07-19-20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595265)
If you go down river it shouldn't count--no effort.

Do you remove the descents from your rides? Down hill--no effort.

rjones28 07-19-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595278)
Ride Report

--hit the roads at an ungodly hour

--disoriented by the lack of traffic

--a deer bolted across the road in front of me in the wilds of NW Knox County

--on the way back I see a sign that says "Road Closed Ahead: Bridge Out"

wut

Being more resourceful than WhyFi, I proceed past the sign to see if the bridge is actually "out"--i.e, no longer there. It is not. I walk around the barriers, over the out/not out bridge, (at some cost to my average speed) and continue on my merry way

--my knee that I was worried about the past week wasn't too bad

--consumed no food, four cups of water pre-ride, two more post-ride

The End.

Epic

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21595677)

Downriver tri swims count.

Velo Vol 07-19-20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595596)

I have no idea about cycling specifically, but obviously wind tunnels were widely used for other vehicles back then.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21595677)

I pedal going downhill . . . sometimes.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21595675)
As well documented here, I am frequently admonished by [MENTION=25227]Velo Vol[/MENTION] to be more specific. I was talking about rider position not the equipment.

They look too upright and prone to catching wind. I was thinking lower with flat back.

Ah, yes. Even when I started riding cyclists were mostly terrible TTers. I watched riders in Le Tour sticking the tails of their long-tail TT helmets straight up every few seconds for the entire stage. They've gotten better, but it's basically a different sport.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595698)
I have no idea about cycling specifically, but obviously wind tunnels were widely used for other vehicles back then.

I was referring to bikes and bike parts specifically.

rjones28 07-19-20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21595462)
Heat killed me today, wish I stayed home

Two hours on the single speed. Super hot.

Three bottles. Salt tablets. Glad I went, but I need a nap.

rjones28 07-19-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21595535)
Do you like apples in your raisin pie?
#INQUIRINGMINDS

No

Velo Vol 07-19-20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21595706)
Two hours on the single speed.

Why?

datlas 07-19-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595722)
Why?

Probably because flat. The SS is a simple, elegant option for flat rides. It becomes a problem when hills appear.

MoAlpha 07-19-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21595675)

They are making aero faces, though.

datlas 07-19-20 01:01 PM

My recollection is that the smaller front wheel funny bikes were most useful for team pursuit on the track and team time trial on the road. The smaller front wheel allows the rider to draft a little bit closer, which can make a decent difference.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595747)
My recollection is that the smaller front wheel funny bikes were most useful for team pursuit on the track and team time trial on the road. The smaller front wheel allows the rider to draft a little bit closer, which can make a decent difference.

Nailed it. Specifically, brings the bodies closer together, and those are most of the drag.

Velo Vol 07-19-20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595704)
I was referring to bikes and bike parts specifically.

I'd be really surprised if the 1988 cycling teams in above video had not done some kind of wind tunnel testing. It wasn't that long ago.

BillyD 07-19-20 01:09 PM

You guys are posting up a storm today. Must be the heat.