Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-27-20 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21609519)

It's even virtually 100% on the bike with only trace probabilities of being in Germany, Vancouver, Billings, Louisville, etc.

Sorry about your travails, VV. Please keep us updated.

SwtBadger 07-27-20 11:16 AM

Also in the isn't it ironic category, Mrs Swtbadger informed me Friday that she booked a cabin just outside of Lacrosse for 3-4 nights starting this upcoming Saturday for the family.

Plans include to do at least the Elroy- Sparta bike trail, which as previously mentioned has 3 long tunnels requiring light of at least some type. Will need to get the trail bike ready, particularly the front derailleur which is down from 3 gears to 1. Also need to either find or rent a bike for my daughter as we have lent her bike to my step daughter in Chicago.

Velo Vol 07-27-20 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21609524)
I don't know how those south of us with humidity can cycle in the summer.

We HTFU.

Velo Vol 07-27-20 11:24 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21609546)
Sorry about your travails, VV. Please keep us updated.

I'm curious to see where it goes. The seller is in Taiwan. The first place it got scanned incoming was Flushing, NY. Is it exiting at Miami? I would have thought the shipments were made via the west coast?

BillyD 07-27-20 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21608784)
I feel fortunate that all I had to deal with was some jasper in a pickup shouting "**** YOU!" at all of us cyclists. It didn't fully register till he passed, mostly due to dopplering.

One time I found myself in the middle of a charity ride, and a passenger in a pickup* was doing the same thing. So as he passed, I gave him a friendly wave and yelled "Hi!", which I think made him mad because I could see him pounding the roof of the cab.

*Why is it always pickups? I know lots of nice people who own/drive pickups, but I've yet to be FU'd by a Prius.

Pickups are the vehicle of choice for Dicks, but that doesnít mean those are the only types that buy them.

In fact before my most recent purchase last year I briefly considered one. Then I realized what company that would put me in and QUICKLY CHANGED MY MIND. :lol:

abshipp 07-27-20 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21609547)
Also in the isn't it ironic category, Mrs Swtbadger informed me Friday that she booked a cabin just outside of Lacrosse for 3-4 nights starting this upcoming Saturday for the family.

Kudos.

We have a hotel room booked in La Crosse in a few weeks for my wife's birthday, but we're still undecided on whether it's a wise idea to go or not. Our possible COVID exposure scare kind of made us thing about the risk in a bit different way.

datlas 07-27-20 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21609496)
PM works! Perfect fit with the Wheels Mfg. BB. Shifting with the Praxis chainwheels isn't quite as silent and smooth as Shimano, but still good.

:bday:

LesterOfPuppets 07-27-20 11:50 AM

Looks like they're grading the Intergalactic Spaceport, so it'll be closed for a bit. On the bright side, you can expect smoother landings soon if your craft has wheels.


NOTAM 07/090 has been issued for 48U.This NOTAM issues the closure of the Airport for the National Guard Grading Project.
Starting August 3rd at 1400 (2:00pm) and ending August 21st 1800 (6:00pm).

This will allow for time for the edge markers to be removed and staking to occur prior to the start of the project.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0bbada542e.jpg

genejockey 07-27-20 11:51 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21609343)
Maybe I should post this in 50+, but I will start here.

In the past, I would sometimes do night-time summer rides on the MUP. The local MUP is "closed" after sunset but that means it's not patrolled, it's still ok to ride on. It's usually deserted and I have had some really delicious warm summer night rides using my SS and bright lights.

This year, I have often told myself early in the day that a post-dinner ride on the MUP is a good idea, but by the time I would go for a ride I am just too tired and/or cranky to have the initiative to go ride.

I am thinking it's my age and maybe covid19 angst, but early in the day (like now) it still seems like it would be a good idea and likely good for my physical and mental heath.

Suggestions??

I find, when I plan on riding late in the day, it's much easier to get distracted by work until it's too late in the day, or at least my mind tells me it's too late in the day. There are times when it's just a question of overcoming the activation energy, when I'm not looking forward so much to the ride and then I sometimes find myself creating excuses not to ride - it's too windy where I ride, or it's too hot, or I really should finish this one thing. But if I overcome those, even when I don't feel like riding, when I actually AM riding I am glad I did.

Regarding morning rides, I hate getting up early to ride in the morning, but I never regret doing it once I'm on the road. I'm not really able to find time (or legs) to ride every day, so in addition to my Sunday ride I've been heading out early on Wednesdays and late afternoon on Fridays, but I'm finding the Friday afternoon rides are not as much fun as the Wednesday morning rides. I don't feel as good, or as comfortable on the bike. Still scoring PRs on Strava, though, despite 'not feeling it', so....?

Velo Vol 07-27-20 11:56 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21609576)
We have a hotel room booked in La Crosse in a few weeks for my wife's birthday, but we're still undecided on whether it's a wise idea to go or not.

Good chance the matches are canceled, anyway.

Velo Vol 07-27-20 12:03 PM


datlas 07-27-20 12:09 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21609639)

This puts the NUT in nutella.

WhyFi 07-27-20 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21609507)
I did not ride all weekend because I was hiding inside the entire time, yesterday was especially gross.

When I came in from my ride yesterday, I wheeled the bike in to the office, sat in my chair and then looked out in to the living room, where the rest of the family sat. Then I noticed a robust trail of sweat drops on the hardwood floors, from the front door to the office, reflecting the light coming in the windows. Ew.

Hell, my glasses even fogged up on a little uphill section yesterday.. I was probably going ~12mph and they're casual Ray Bans with goodly air gaps to the sides, yet they still fogged. :twitchy:

Yeah, it was a very warm, humid weekend.

WhyFi 07-27-20 12:31 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21609639)

Yeah, that's too much of a good thing.

phrantic09 07-27-20 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21609690)
When I came in from my ride yesterday, I wheeled the bike in to the office, sat in my chair and then looked out in to the living room, where the rest of the family sat. Then I noticed a robust trail of sweat drops on the hardwood floors, from the front door to the office, reflecting the light coming in the windows. Ew.

Hell, my glasses even fogged up on a little uphill section yesterday.. I was probably going ~12mph and they're casual Ray Bans with goodly air gaps to the sides, yet they still fogged. :twitchy:

Yeah, it was a very warm, humid weekend.

I didnít even go in the house after this ride, left my work laptop out on the patio and came straight here when I got home. Been about 30 minutes and still dripping

abshipp 07-27-20 12:57 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21609690)
When I came in from my ride yesterday, I wheeled the bike in to the office, sat in my chair and then looked out in to the living room, where the rest of the family sat. Then I noticed a robust trail of sweat drops on the hardwood floors, from the front door to the office, reflecting the light coming in the windows. Ew.

Hell, my glasses even fogged up on a little uphill section yesterday.. I was probably going ~12mph and they're casual Ray Bans with goodly air gaps to the sides, yet they still fogged. :twitchy:

Yeah, it was a very warm, humid weekend.

Your bike lives inside the house? Kudos!

I ride with cheap sunglasses, and lately on the MTB they fog up on pretty much every climb. It's so tempting to remove them but I swear every time I ride without glasses I get a branch in my eye, or very close to it :twitchy:

A month or so ago I had a gnat get stuck inside my eye on the road bike, then it happened again when we were in WI on vacation and hiking!

WhyFi 07-27-20 12:58 PM

Took the kids out for a ride to B&N and lunch, mostly to get them out of the house. On the way there, the boy got a little too exuberant and took a tumble when he went off the pavement and either overcorrected or had his front wheel grab that edge of the path. He high-sided, but came away with only a skinned elbow.

As we gathered ourselves together and started slowly rolling, some guy overtaking us on a road bike decided to take a shortcut through the grass rather than wait for us to negotiate the left turn. We rounded the corner just as he was hopping back on to the path about 50' in front of us, but then *his* wheel stuck and he got thrown, smacking on to the path and damn near rolling into the street. I think that there boy's bruised ego felt a little better after seeing that.

MUPs, man - they'll get ya!

WhyFi 07-27-20 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21609748)
Your bike lives inside the house? Kudos!

I ride with cheap sunglasses, and lately on the MTB they fog up on pretty much every climb. It's so tempting to remove them but I swear every time I ride without glasses I get a branch in my eye, or very close to it :twitchy:

A month or so ago I had a gnat get stuck inside my eye on the road bike, then it happened again when we were in WI on vacation and hiking!

The nice bike has always lived inside. The utility bike is in the garage.

Bugs are at least 50% the reason that I always wear glasses when I ride. Looking cool is another 50%. Oh, and knocking down the brightness and glare is another 50%.

My glasses are large.

​​​​​

LesterOfPuppets 07-27-20 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21609760)
The nice bike has always lived inside. The utility bike is in the garage.

Bugs are at least 50% the reason that I always wear glasses when I ride. Looking cool is another 50%. Oh, and knocking down the brightness and glare is another 50%.

My glasses are large.

​​​​​

Sometimes I swear I'm gonna pull a Timtak and get some snooker glasses...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57a2a5325c.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 07-27-20 01:17 PM

Guess who makes garden hoses!

I always said riding Gatorskins was just like riding garden hoses.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...417e8df921.jpg

abshipp 07-27-20 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21609760)
The nice bike has always lived inside. The utility bike is in the garage.

Bugs are at least 50% the reason that I always wear glasses when I ride. Looking cool is another 50%. Oh, and knocking down the brightness and glare is another 50%.

My glasses are large.

​​​​​

I'm constantly fighting surface rust on components due to bikes living in the garage :(

BillyD 07-27-20 01:41 PM

Uh oh! Professional baseball is in big trouble.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/s...gtype=Homepage

MoAlpha 07-27-20 01:42 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21609573)
Pickups are the vehicle of choice for Dicks, but that doesnít mean those are the only types that buy them.

In fact before my most recent purchase last year I briefly considered one. Then I realized what company that would put me in and QUICKLY CHANGED MY MIND. :lol:

Only dicks of a certain demographic. Around here, Krautmobiles of every type seem to contain more than their share of malignant *******s, male and female. From the description, I suspect the driver who smashed me from behind and ran off was operating a Merc SUV.

MoAlpha 07-27-20 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21609786)
Guess who makes garden hoses!

I always said riding Gatorskins was just like riding garden hoses.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...417e8df921.jpg

I have a rubber hose and love it, but it's not a Conti.

BillyD 07-27-20 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21609834)
Uh oh! Professional baseball is in big trouble.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/s...gtype=Homepage

I hope nothing develops in my old man softball league, many of them insisted on playing (although not I), but their age puts them at high risk of not making it if they catch the virus. I don't know what they were thinking but you can't compare senior citizen's health to that of young bucks in the prime of their lives. These old bastids can't even remember how to spell 'prime' it's been so long.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.