Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Experiences with ProBikeKit & Wiggle requested (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242620)

fcriscuo 11-21-21 01:00 PM

Experiences with ProBikeKit & Wiggle requested

I'm planning a wheelset upgrade for my Pinarello Gan K disc; either Campagnolo Zonda C17s or Fulcrum Racing 3s. So far the best prices I've seen are at ProBikeKit and Wiggle. I would appreciate some reviews from cyclists who have used either vendor. I've seen some negative reviews for Wiggle, but almost every YouTube review I've seen for these wheels mentions that they came from Wiggle. Also, I'd appreciate getting opinions on the two wheelsets. Thanks in advance for your help.

cb400bill 11-21-21 01:42 PM

Over the years I have ordered a couple times from Wiggle and a bunch of times from PBK. No issues ever.

Branko D 11-21-21 01:45 PM

Used both shops, no complaints at all. Warranty service was also honoured without issue. Also used two German based online shops, Bike24 and bike-components.de, both are top notch.

Hiro11 11-21-21 01:47 PM

I've been very pleased with PBK. Fast and professional shipping.

Russ Roth 11-21-21 01:47 PM

Probikekit can be a mixed bag in my experience. I ordered some track hubs from them and they took weeks to arrive, this was right at the start of the pandemic and it seemed the hubs weren't in stock like claimed and Italy was shut down. I've had two other orders from them that arrived successfully and in a reasonable time frame. Currently I had/have 3 lights on order which were supposedly in stock. It took 3 days to even ship, the lights were returned to them by the shipper the same day for some reason, and when I tried to find out what was going on I ended having to go through facebook messenger since there was no one available on their chat for 3 days. My initial email wasn't responded to until this morning and that person apparently never talked to the messenger person. Either way the claim was that it would be a couple of more days to process the order and ship them out again so I just requested a refund. Be aware, even though they're based in the UK, they're collecting sales tax depending on your state, not certain how that works.
I've never used wiggle but I think they're the same as chainreactioncycles which I've done ok with. Nothing bad, nothing amazing. I've found merlin cycles to often have the best deal and I've bought campy from them so you might want to check their prices.

CliffordK 11-21-21 01:59 PM

I haven't used ProBikeKit.

I have ordered from a number of overseas companies: Ribble, Wiggle, and Merlin, and Bike-Discount.de (use for Wippermann, Bausch and Lomb, and German products), and haven't had any issues with any of them.

Over time they've made changes, especially with respect to selling Shimano components to US customers, as well as changes in pricing for shipping. Just watch your shipping costs.

I suppose the one annoyance is that stock can come and go, and they are oriented towards selling common items. Stocking issues could be amplified by COVID.

I haven't ordered from the European vendors since COVID, but expect an extra delay in shipping.

jaxgtr 11-21-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 22315529)
Over the years I have ordered a couple times from Wiggle and a bunch of times from PBK. No issues ever.

Same here..... never had any issues with either.

chaadster 11-21-21 02:31 PM

Yeah, many positive purchasing experiences with both Wiggle and PBK over several years. They’re a couple of the most prominent online vendors out there— at least in the English speaking world— and have been for a good while, so I wouldn’t worry about them being scammers or disreputable. Prices aren’t as good for USD buyers as they were pre-Brexit, though.

PeteHski 11-21-21 02:47 PM

Wiggle is fine. I've ordered loads of stuff from them over the years and never had a problem. I'm UK based.

Russ Roth 11-21-21 03:07 PM

One that doesn't come up much but I learned about here is xxcycle.com they're more varied in what they have but the prices are decent.

WhyFi 11-21-21 03:24 PM

I've ordered from both for years - never an issue.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you may get hit up for duty once the items hit customs. I believe that the duty-free limit is still $800, but you'll want to confirm that if your planned purchase is anywhere around or over that price point. IIRC, my last wheelset, purchased early last year, were a little over $1000 from PBK and had duties/fees somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 bucks.

tempocyclist 11-21-21 05:36 PM

I've had nothing but good experiences with both Wiggle and PBK.

Now loving outside of the UK, I still use Wiggle from time to time and their international shipping is reasonable and still super fast.

sw20 11-21-21 05:39 PM

Ordered plenty from both Wiggle and Pro Bike Kit, never had any issues with either, a lot of stuff from Wiggle came faster than expected and PBK have some really good deals!

Sy Reene 11-21-21 05:42 PM

No issue with either. Probably no difference, but ChainReaction is same as Wiggle (same parent company).

CeeDotA 11-21-21 07:46 PM

Nothing but great experiences with both PBK and Wiggle/Chain Reaction.

fcriscuo 11-22-21 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies and the positive feedback for Wiggle. Unfortunately, Wiggle has raised the price for the Campy wheelset considerably and ProBike is out of stock for the AFS/Shimano hub combo. I'll probably order from Bike24 later today.

alcjphil 11-22-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth (Post 22315609)
One that doesn't come up much but I learned about here is xxcycle.com they're more varied in what they have but the prices are decent.

I have ordered from them a few times with good results. I started buying from them because I have actually been to their store in Toulouse during a vacation in the area.

genejockey 11-24-21 12:49 PM

I've ordered from PBK a number of times. Generally, delivery is as fast as if it were shipped within the US. Except one time, where it was two weeks, but I don't blame them, since it went to the shipper quickly.

grosey 11-25-21 03:31 PM

I've been ordering from Wiggle for years, never had any issues with postage.

ColonelSanders 11-25-21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by fcriscuo (Post 22316705)
Thanks for all the replies and the positive feedback for Wiggle. Unfortunately, Wiggle has raised the price for the Campy wheelset considerably and ProBike is out of stock for the AFS/Shimano hub combo. I'll probably order from Bike24 later today.

I don't know if the stores I am about to mention have what you want, but in addition to Bike 24, there are some other excellent German stores you should check out :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/
https://www.hibike.com/
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/bike-parts

NoWhammies 11-25-21 09:24 PM

I've ordered from both. Never had any issues. I even returned an item to Wiggle without problem.

prairiepedaler 11-25-21 09:59 PM

I think Wiggle and Chain reaction are the same company? Ordered from both without issue. I think Wiggle logistics hub originates from Spain and Chain from Ireland. I can't believe how fast items come from Ireland when from just next door, the USA originated shipments take significantly longer. Another thing, Chain reaction had postage from Ireland at only NINE bucks! Impossible from the USA. It should be the other way around. But, for the OP, buy with high confidence from either of those vendors.

EddieUK 11-27-21 04:31 AM

Never had a problem with either of them, always fast and efficient service.

63rickert 11-27-21 01:09 PM

Pro Bike Kit will send you email forever. Wiggle will not. PBK has frequent good deals. Wiggle has occasional too good to be true deals except they are true and they deliver. No problem with either.