Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

datlas 04-04-20 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21399874)
Anxiety or seasonal with lengthening day? The roads are so empty, I’m going to wait for some warmth.

Probably 80% anxiety and 20% day lengthening. My natural wake-up time ordinarily is about 45 minutes before daybreak. Lately I have been awakening even earlier.

Good news is I went out at daybreak and finished my 3 1/2 hour ride while the family was still in sleep/morning mode.

I have a noon teleconference with my office partners. We are likely going to talk about shutting the office completely and having everyone work from home with a skeleton crew of 2-3 nurses and one non-clinical worker, plus the 5 docs. Sad. We are hemorrhaging $$$ and even with the furloughs and telemedicine it's looking grim.

Bah Humbug 04-04-20 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21400116)
Probably 80% anxiety and 20% day lengthening. My natural wake-up time ordinarily is about 45 minutes before daybreak. Lately I have been awakening even earlier.

Good news is I went out at daybreak and finished my 3 1/2 hour ride while the family was still in sleep/morning mode.

I have a noon teleconference with my office partners. We are likely going to talk about shutting the office completely and having everyone work from home with a skeleton crew of 2-3 nurses and one non-clinical worker, plus the 5 docs. Sad. We are hemorrhaging $$$ and even with the furloughs and telemedicine it's looking grim.

When you say "sad" without an exclamation point... fingers crossed buddy.

MoAlpha 04-04-20 09:19 AM

Yeah, sorry to hear. It's going to be tough.

My wife has been struggling the whole time to save her practice, including hours on the phone with the bank yesterday about getting one of the small business loans in the CARES Act. Predictably, the process is complicated, fraught with gotchas, and being gamed by the financial industry and she's not a businesswoman. She just seems to be the most savvy of all her partners, so she manages the financial side. They'll most likely survive and get their associates and employees through, but it's going to hurt.

BillyD 04-04-20 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21400124)
When you say "sad" without an exclamation point... fingers crossed buddy.

Ditto.

rjones28 04-04-20 09:25 AM

:(

LesterOfPuppets 04-04-20 09:28 AM

Yikes!

kissTheApex 04-04-20 09:34 AM

:( All the best.

WhyFi 04-04-20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21400136)

My wife has been struggling the whole time to save her practice, including hours on the phone with the bank yesterday about getting one of the small business loans in the CARES Act. Predictably, the process is complicated, fraught with gotchas, and being gamed by the financial industry and she's not a businesswoman. She just seems to be the most savvy of all her partners, so she manages the financial side. They'll most likely survive and get their associates and employees through, but it's going to hurt.

:(

WhyFi 04-04-20 09:45 AM

My daughter's preschool is officially done until the fall, at the earliest, and it seems as if the Director feels the need to continue to provide entertainment/education/distractions for the kids. I don't think that the Director has worked in a business environment, as she's CCed all of the parents instead of BCCing them.

Predictably, many of the parents are just as clueless and have been replying to all. :twitchy:

OMFG. I've gotten about 10 emails in the last 5 minutes, all from parents having trouble logging in to a live stream performance from a guy that occasionally stops by the classroom to sing kids songs. :notamused:

Velo Vol 04-04-20 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21400050)
Pretty cool. Do I need a pretty handkerchief like that one for it to work?

Check your collection.

Velo Vol 04-04-20 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by whyfi (Post 21400182)
omfg. I've gotten about 10 emails in the last 5 minutes, all from parents having trouble logging in to a live stream performance from a guy that occasionally stops by the classroom to sing kids songs. :notamused:

lol

datlas 04-04-20 09:53 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. My family and I will be ok. Even if I spend the rest of 2020 without a paycheck (which is possible), we will manage as we have savings. Some of my fellow physicians, I fear, live paycheck to paycheck and if savers are over-leveraged in the stock market. They are ****ed. Royally.

datlas 04-04-20 09:58 AM

Conference call at noon to discuss plans. There are 4 shareholders in my office plus the organization's Director of Operations.

I had suggested just a group text. I was vetoed, they said it's "too complicated" for a group text.

I think they are all just too old, but wtf do I know. I hate meetings and wish to minimize the waste of time. I only run one meeting, that's the hospital's IRB. We had a super-short 10 minute teleconference meeting last week. That's how meetings should be, minimize the wind-bags and keep it focused.

LAJ 04-04-20 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21400063)
Seems so, pretty cool, right?

I agree, and unusual to two see tires with two colors, much less matching a bike with the same two colors.

Velo Vol 04-04-20 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21400205)
Thanks for the well wishes. My family and I will be ok. Even if I spend the rest of 2020 without a paycheck (which is possible), we will manage as we have savings. Some of my fellow physicians, I fear, live paycheck to paycheck and if savers are over-leveraged in the stock market. They are ****ed. Royally.

Sticking with the mighty Saturn all these years is paying off now.

LAJ 04-04-20 10:05 AM

This sucks. Thinking as positive as possible.

LAJ 04-04-20 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21400182)
My daughter's preschool is officially done until the fall, at the earliest, and it seems as if the Director feels the need to continue to provide entertainment/education/distractions for the kids. I don't think that the Director has worked in a business environment, as she's CCed all of the parents instead of BCCing them.

Predictably, many of the parents are just as clueless and have been replying to all. :twitchy:

OMFG. I've gotten about 10 emails in the last 5 minutes, all from parents having trouble logging in to a live stream performance from a guy that occasionally stops by the classroom to sing kids songs. :notamused:

Speaking of reply to all, we received one of those from a gal fortunate enough to be able to work at home from the onset. She was wondering who was going to pay for all of her cleaning and disinfecting supplies she was using while at home. I wanted to reach through the monitor, and drag her ass straight to reality.

ericy 04-04-20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21400050)
Pretty cool. Do I need a pretty handkerchief like that one for it to work?

My wife tried one of those this morning, but there was something not quite right and it kept popping off.

Besides - I hear that dry cleaning bags work much better at keeping the viruses out.

abshipp 04-04-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21400015)
Holy poop! I was fretting over going from 70° yesterday to a high of 52° and intermittent drizzle but after seeing your temps, I feel way better.

Yeah, that's rough.

We're about 10° cooler than you it looks like. It's not quite warming up like what was forecast though :(

I was thinking about trying to break 50 miles for the first time this year but I think that may need to wait for tomorrow.

abshipp 04-04-20 10:25 AM

:hug:

Velo Vol 04-04-20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21400237)
Speaking of reply to all, we received one of those from a gal fortunate enough to be able to work at home from the onset. She was wondering who was going to pay for all of her cleaning and disinfecting supplies she was using while at home. I wanted to reach through the monitor, and drag her ass straight to reality.

They might be deductible work expenses. LOL

rjones28 04-04-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21400251)
My wife tried one of those this morning, but there was something not quite right and it kept popping off.

Besides - I hear that dry cleaning bags work much better at keeping the viruses out.

:eek:

Bah Humbug 04-04-20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21400222)
Sticking with the mighty Saturn all these years is paying off now.

Cronus Invictus

Trsnrtr 04-04-20 10:48 AM

Dang!

You can move to Illinois and be my doctor. I’d love to have a cycling doctor.

Trsnrtr 04-04-20 10:51 AM

Dang! More rough news.

My older brother and I were talking about this a few days ago. It’s a good time to be retired with so many people around us struggling with their future.