Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 04-09-20 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409588)
What I mean by mental is muscular freezing in response to the way the bike is behaving.

Ah. How many rides on the new wheels?

MoAlpha 04-09-20 01:58 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21409449)
It would mean more trail and a larger contact patch (assuming you lower pressure appropriately). You might feel a stability difference... probably wouldn't hurt.

The Ardennes+ I had before let the 25s expand to a measured 28 and I was able to run them quite a bit softer. That was very confidence inspiring, but the wheels were appreciably heavier too. Maybe I'll drop the pressure in the GP5000s 5 psi and see if they behave a little less sketchy.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 01:59 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21409600)
Ah. How many rides on the new wheels?

10 or 12, maybe.

abshipp 04-09-20 02:09 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409616)
10 or 12, maybe.

The first time I put light wheels on a bike, I think it stopped feeling novel after 6 or so rides. Maybe you're just more sensitive to it than I am.

I do remember the front end becoming a lot lighter.

I think the ones I put on were alloy and on the high side of 1500g,, coming from the stock DA-22 at around 2100g

seedsbelize 04-09-20 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409593)
Yeah, I guess some weight would help with that. Maybe another bottle.

Low riders on the front

seedsbelize 04-09-20 02:27 PM

40įc

MoAlpha 04-09-20 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21409632)
The first time I put light wheels on a bike, I think it stopped feeling novel after 6 or so rides. Maybe you're just more sensitive to it than I am.

I do remember the front end becoming a lot lighter.

I think the ones I put on were alloy and on the high side of 1500g,, coming from the stock DA-22 at around 2100g

I only went down about 300g total with these. I am just a wimp who can't control his bike.

seedsbelize 04-09-20 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409682)
I only went down about 300g total with these. I am just a wimp who can't control his bike.

True. Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery.

Bah Humbug 04-09-20 02:42 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409682)
I only went down about 300g total with these. I am just a wimp who can't control his bike.

Or maybe you are more attuned; I literally couldn't feel a difference going to my Rails from my Belgium C2s.

I could tell they looked much better though.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 02:51 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21409710)
Or maybe you are more attuned; I literally couldn't feel a difference going to my Rails from my Belgium C2s.

I could tell they looked much better though.

These wheels make a noticeable positive difference in how the bike feels most of the time and maybe I am more attuned, but I have some trouble attributing the wobbles to that. They are the first carbon wheels I've ever tried.

Bah Humbug 04-09-20 02:54 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409728)
These wheels make a noticeable positive difference in how the bike feels most of the time and maybe I am more attuned, but I have some trouble attributing the wobbles to that. They are the first carbon wheels I've ever tried.

Did you maybe square off the tires? I remember last year an issue where I squared mine off in long-straight tri training, then rode them at COTA and could feel a lot of squirreliness on curves as the tires flopped over the newly-sharp shoulders.

ls01 04-09-20 03:15 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409728)
These wheels make a noticeable positive difference in how the bike feels most of the time and maybe I am more attuned, but I have some trouble attributing the wobbles to that. They are the first carbon wheels I've ever tried.

Are you having speed wobble, or just a unfamiliar shakiness at higher than normal speed. Speed wobble sucks.
Common solutions, place a knee against the top tube. Lift butt off seat slightly, loosen death grip on bars. Move weight rearward. Have front wheel checked for improper spoke tension. One all or some can be employed.

ls01 04-09-20 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409593)
Yeah, I guess some weight would help with that. Maybe another bottle.

Drinking is not the answer.

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 03:35 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21409790)
Drinking is not the answer.

I was thinking about starting up again.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 03:35 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21409735)
Did you maybe square off the tires? I remember last year an issue where I squared mine off in long-straight tri training, then rode them at COTA and could feel a lot of squirreliness on curves as the tires flopped over the newly-sharp shoulders.

The tires are new and we're not talking curves, just bumpy straights at speed. On smooth pavement, it's still a delight. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the main problem is me stiffening up because of how the bike feels.

phrantic09 04-09-20 03:36 PM

Wind
 
Speaking of wind... just wrapped up my day and was going to go for a short ride but itís blowing 25 steadily and gusting to 50. Going to have some gin instead.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21409780)
Are you having speed wobble, or just a unfamiliar shakiness at higher than normal speed. Speed wobble sucks.
Common solutions, place a knee against the top tube. Lift butt off seat slightly, loosen death grip on bars. Move weight rearward. Have front wheel checked for improper spoke tension. One all or some can be employed.

I get almost to the wobble stage, but can get it to go away by slowing down, relaxing, my arms and shifting my weight back on the saddle. I think the question is why the thing is spooking me and what I can do about it.

kissTheApex 04-09-20 03:40 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21408194)

Stepheeeeen! :love:

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21408666)
My SIL, a firefighter, has to quarantine for 2 weeks, 3 members of his company tested positive. He was already home with my daughter and 4 month old grandson, to say my wife and I are worried, does not begin to describe the feelings.
Please everyone, be careful and keep the distance.

I hope they stay ok.

phrantic09 04-09-20 03:40 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409819)
The tires are new and we're not talking curves, just bumpy straights at speed. On smooth pavement, it's still a delight. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the main problem is me stiffening up because of how the bike feels.

I switched from a Felt F5 to Z4 back in 2015 prior to having some surgical repair done on my hip. Despite what is supposed to be a more stable bike, it felt odd, and I always stiffen up on descents. There is one where 50ish on the F5 felt fine that Iím afraid to do faster than 38-40 now. I tense up and get speed wobble.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 03:45 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21409830)
I switched from a Felt F5 to Z4 back in 2015 prior to having some surgical repair done on my hip. Despite what is supposed to be a more stable bike, it felt odd, and I always stiffen up on descents. There is one where 50ish on the F5 felt fine that I’m afraid to do faster than 38-40 now. I tense up and get speed wobble.

Yeah, keeping the arms loose and free is critical. I get the same thing if I start to shiver on a downhill. As my wife and sailing buddies will tell you, I'm just a nervous little guy. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, the bike is an R3 with discs and it should feel great on anything.

abshipp 04-09-20 03:49 PM

Weird day:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...26f4f92632.jpg

phrantic09 04-09-20 03:50 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409841)
Yeah, keeping the arms loose and free is critical. I get the same thing if I start to shiver on a downhill. I'm just a nervous little guy. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, the bike is an R3 with discs and it should feel great on anything.

maybe itís just taking time to ďget used to itĒ?

I have the R3 coming if Excel ever ships it. Iím actually pretty excited to go back to rim from disc.

WhyFi 04-09-20 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21409848)

Woke up to clouds. Then it snowed hard enough to limit visibility to two blocks or so. Then the sun came out, melting any accumulation. Then it snowed again, just as hard. Then the sun came back out and melted it again. :rolleyes:

WhyFi 04-09-20 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409841)
Incidentally, the bike is an R3 with discs and it should feel great on anything.

Mine sure does. :p

Really though, every time I take it out, lotta smiles per mile.

Bah Humbug 04-09-20 04:19 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409819)
The tires are new and we're not talking curves, just bumpy straights at speed. On smooth pavement, it's still a delight. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the main problem is me stiffening up because of how the bike feels.

That sounds likely enough, given everything you're ruling out.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.