Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What you guys do about right pant leg getting chewed up by chainring? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266244)

juntjoo 01-15-23 05:14 PM

What you guys do about right pant leg getting chewed up by chainring?

I usually use a rubber band. Just wondering if there is a better solution.

ZHVelo 01-15-23 05:25 PM

I do not have this issue if I wear cycling specific pants, they are hugging the skin.

For commutes I just shove pants into my socks. Oh well.

Moe Zhoost 01-15-23 05:30 PM

1) Wear a strap secured by velcro.
2) Tuck the pant leg into your sock
3) Roll your pant leg up past your chain ring.

I do #1 and sometimes #2. I see a lot of folks opting for #3. Whatever works.

Personally, I've chewed up many more shoelaces than pant legs.

Polaris OBark 01-15-23 05:31 PM

4) Get a left-side drivetrain bike.

wolfchild 01-15-23 05:41 PM

I use slim fitting non-cycling specific cargo pants which are tight enough not to get caught in the chainring...If I am wearing loose fitting pants I just use an elastic band made from an old inner tube.

wolfchild 01-15-23 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost (Post 22770053)

Personally, I've chewed up many more shoelaces than pant legs.

I tuck my shoelaces inside my boots or shoes and never had a problem.

05 fuji 01-15-23 05:44 PM

Wear shorts? You list Florida as location.

Rolla 01-15-23 05:56 PM

Roll 'em up or wear shorts.

MooneyBloke 01-15-23 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by juntjoo (Post 22770035)
I usually use a rubber band. Just wondering if there is a better solution.

Ride long enough, and you'll have some bad inner tubes. I cut those into one foot lengths and tie them around both trouser hems to keep them out of the bike.

CrimsonEclipse 01-15-23 06:37 PM

Google "cycling pant leg straps"
Then buy them on Amazon anyway

Random11 01-15-23 07:36 PM

Forty years ago, when I was commuting on a "ten-speed," I used soemthing like this Amazon.com: M-Wave Reflective Steel Trouser Bands, Neon Yellow : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry which worked well. My pant legs never got caught in the chain.

veganbikes 01-15-23 07:40 PM

A simple hook and loop strap would work well. I have a Mountain Hardwear Ski strap I got years ago that I generally use but Aardvark makes a reflective one and probably a ton of others. Hook and loop generally is going to work better and last longer than the rubber band but a rubber band can work.

Lombard 01-15-23 07:53 PM

If you don't want to wear specific bike clothes, pulling your sock over your pant leg works.

PaulH 01-15-23 07:56 PM

Chainguard. Don't buy a bike that lacks one.

ofajen 01-15-23 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Random11 (Post 22770173)
Forty years ago, when I was commuting on a "ten-speed," I used soemthing like this Amazon.com: M-Wave Reflective Steel Trouser Bands, Neon Yellow : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry which worked well. My pant legs never got caught in the chain.

I still use that kind of clips. Probably got them at least forty years ago.

Otto

Nyah 01-15-23 08:27 PM

Look for a device called, logically enough, a "chainring guard". Driveline makes good ones, which you can find venders selling on Ebay.

To many people wanting to transport themselves via bicycle, wearing tights is an unreasonable expectation. Thus anytime a multi-chainring bicycle or crankset doesn't include a simple, removable chainring guard, is a demonstration of anti-bicycling intent by the company that produced it.

tcs 01-15-23 08:29 PM

Vintage Tiffany sterling silver cycling pants clip:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...80299fb984.png

79pmooney 01-15-23 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by PaulH (Post 22770190)
Chainguard. Don't buy a bike that lacks one.

Chain guards are a force fit with derailleur bikes, esp bikes with front derailleurs. I've seen very few bikes with chain guards and rear derailleurs and none with front derailleurs. Not saying they don't exist but if you insist, you are really limiting your options.

My first choice is good fitting steel pant clips. They have different shapes. Not all fit my legs. Some are, for me, quite uncomfortable. The ones with good shape for me I forget I'm wearing. The Velcro straps with good reflecting properties have the real advantage that they travel up and down. There is no other light source in the city or nature that has that motion. Drivers see it. They probably notice it more than the bright flashing lights they do their best to un-see.

Periodically I've had sources for high quality rubber bands and use them until the source runs out. The good ones don't break, never fall off and losing them doesn't matter. Stay nicely out of sight high on the sock inside my pants all day 'till the ride home. I don't like using socks unless they are socks with good elastic properties. My preferred cotton sock get permanently stretched.

Chuck Naill 01-15-23 08:37 PM

In cool weather I enjoy wearing long stocking/wool socks and rolled up long pants. For me, Vans perform well with the touring peddles. I often forget to roll them back down when I get back home. :)

PaulH 01-15-23 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22770228)
Chain guards are a force fit with derailleur bikes, esp bikes with front derailleurs. I've seen very few bikes with chain guards and rear derailleurs and none with front derailleurs. Not saying they don't exist but if you insist, you are really limiting your options.

I gave up on derailleurs over twenty years ago. Bad idea. One of the worst things that happened to cycling, along with rim brakes.

rumrunn6 01-15-23 09:06 PM

some ideas here

FlickrMAN 01-15-23 09:10 PM

Purchase a small role of Velcro at like Target. Cut off what you need.

2manybikes 01-15-23 09:29 PM

old toe straps
very small bungy cords , I like this the best.

dedhed 01-15-23 09:31 PM

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...2171104&ipos=1

spelger 01-15-23 09:40 PM

take your pants off when you ride.