Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Recommendations for Rx Sunglasses (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238017)

WorldIRC 09-03-21 06:06 PM

Recommendations for Rx Sunglasses

Hi There,

I wear a pair of Oakley Quarter Jacket sunglasses with Rx lenses. The fit is pretty good but I am looking for something more stylish. Anything larger from Oakley tends to be too large. My head is not “small”, but I’ve just never fit well with most Oakley’s, hence why I wear the Quarter Jacket.

I’m also not looking for something with an Rx insert, I would rather have the entire lens made for my Rx.

Thoughts based on what I’ve mentioned?

sshakari 09-03-21 06:29 PM

I would try Roka. I have 4 pairs and they are awesome for cycling and they make rx glasses.

seypat 09-03-21 07:33 PM

I get a pai of active sunglasses when I get a new pair of glasses. Not cycling specific. I wear them for all outdoor activities.

deacon mark 09-04-21 01:49 PM

Just get a pair of sunglasses RX an https://www.zennioptical.com I buy my regular glasses there and they can simply do sunglasses too.

Sy Reene 09-04-21 05:18 PM

Whatever happened to Lasik anyway?

deacon mark 09-04-21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22215250)
Whatever happened to Lasik anyway?

I had it 20 years ago. Worse case eyesight the dr had. -12 in right and -13 in left eye. I could not even correct well with glasses.

Today I still do not need glasses to drive and don’t wear them. I don’t need readers either and I am 60. After 20 years my left eye slightly over corrected at first is now 20/20 or close. My right eye slightly under corrected 20/50.

I just wear cheap sunglasses.

biker128pedal 09-04-21 06:05 PM

Check out Walmart. They carry Wiley and Liberty sport glasses. Not fancy but not as expensive.

sfrider 09-05-21 02:03 PM

Oakley makes lots of frames, not just sport ones. I have a pair of Oakley photochromic progressives for general wear. They have the same excellent warranty and post-sales support as their sports eyewear - mine are actually in for a free lens replacement right now; the frame hinge had problems on one side and I dropped them off at my optometrist's to have a look at. They had to go back to Oakley for repair, and the technician said he spotted a few fine scratches and asked if I wanted the lenses replaced as well since they have to be returned anyway. All free of charge.

On the bike I wear Oakley Flak XL, also photochromic.

My wife though recently got a pair of Rudy Projects, but hasn't received them yet. She needs a much stronger correction than me. I just have a fair bit of astigmatism, need reading glasses, but am only marginally farsighted; so can drive and do most things without glasses, I just like being able to read fine print from across the room and if I wear glasses for sun and reading I might as well get them fully corrected. But her correction exceeds what Oakley can offer. The RPs she got use a separate insert for the correction. She should probably get lasik to bring her to a broader selection of glasses; she's very nearsighted and also needs prismatics (due to eye misalignment). But she used Oakleys up to the point she can't anymore.

Bob Ross 09-05-21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by WorldIRC (Post 22214199)
Thoughts based on what I’ve mentioned?

Rather than asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum What's A Good Eyeglass Frame? ask your optician or optometrist What Eyeglass Frame(s) Will Accomodate My Prescription?
Reduces potential disappointment downstream.

WorldIRC 09-06-21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Ross (Post 22216538)
Rather than asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum What's A Good Eyeglass Frame? ask your optician or optometrist What Eyeglass Frame(s) Will Accomodate My Prescription?
Reduces potential disappointment downstream.

My Rx is not complex and accommodation isn’t a concern fortunately. Just looking at style recommendations!

WorldIRC 05-17-23 06:35 AM

I wanted to bump this thread as a lot has changed in the last couple years. I am in search of another pair of Rx Cycling glasses. My primary concern with Oakley and Bolle is how thick the lenses end up. Thickness + curvature = drive my brain nuts. My Rx isn't strong by any means, but I am hoping to find a solution to this (other than wearing contacts).

Any one have some thoughts?

DaveSSS 05-17-23 07:32 AM

My prescription is -3.5 to -3.75. I bought Oakley half jackets two years ago. I've had several pairs of wrap around frames and no hint of a problem. The technology to make these lenses has been around for close to 15 years. I bought genuine Oakley lenses, as recommended by the seller.

https://www.sportrx.com/oakley-half-jacket-2-0-xl.html

WorldIRC 05-17-23 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 22892684)
My prescription is -3.5 to -3.75. I bought Oakley half jackets two years ago. I've had several pairs of wrap around frames and no hint of a problem. The technology to make these lenses has been around for close to 15 years. I bought genuine Oakley lenses, as recommended by the seller.

https://www.sportrx.com/oakley-half-jacket-2-0-xl.html

I tried the Flak 2.0s with Oakley lenses and just felt the lenses as "too much". I wonder if Half Jackets are any better in that regard, but I can't imagine them being much different.

Bald Paul 05-17-23 12:14 PM

Prescription Cycling Sunglasses and Cycling Glasses | SportRx

Silver Steve 05-18-23 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22214232)
I would try Roka. I have 4 pairs and they are awesome for cycling and they make rx glasses.

THIS!

I have 2 pairs and they are pretty great.

Just got a discount code from them for 20% off "FRIEND20-pq7g9q" if it helps.