Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tasteless sign at Houston bar (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1241293)

grizzly59 10-27-21 06:08 PM

Tasteless sign at Houston bar

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-16564851.php

Or you can google something like "Truck Yard Houston bike accident sign"

astrodust 10-27-21 06:21 PM

Pfft, Texas. Need I say more?

CliffordK 10-27-21 06:22 PM

Twitter...

https://twitter.com/HoustonCM/status...00236438925316

I'd just consider it a joke and ignore it. And, perhaps also ignore that establishment.

caloso 10-27-21 06:23 PM

They owned it, apologized, and changed the sign. Move along.

Paul Barnard 10-27-21 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22286290)
They owned it, apologized, and changed the sign. Move along.

That's pretty much where i am with this.

At the same time it's disheartening to see such widely negative views of cyclists reinforced. Bring up cycling on a boat forum, hunting forum or motorcycling forum, and the attitudes range from unhealthy to downright dangerous. The teen who recently mowed down 6 cyclists in Texas had probably been subjected to enough negativity that he thought it was cool to roll coal on them. From an advocacy standpoint, I wish there were a way we could change the culture.

CliffordK 10-28-21 05:40 AM

Part of life is learning to take a joke about oneself, whether it is well thought out or not.

I'm sure jokes about other vehicles abound in Texas, whether they are about pickups or Priuses.

livedarklions 10-28-21 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 22286667)
Part of life is learning to take a joke about oneself, whether it is well thought out or not.

I'm sure jokes about other vehicles abound in Texas, whether they are about pickups or Priuses.

Taking the joke would definitely not have been the proper response, that just reinforces that it's an acceptable attitude.

The bar basically called out their own stupidity for putting this up which I think was a classy and responsible thing to do. It was a total "no excuses" apology. So basically, I don't see the point in recounting this any further, all it does is make the damn sign a meme. If you ask me, that defeats the purpose of getting them to take it down.

JW Fas 10-28-21 12:10 PM

100% of car crashes can be avoided by walking.

livedarklions 10-29-21 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by JW Fas (Post 22287217)

It would be a just world if that was true, but pedestrians get hit by cars a lot.

Mirror image of stupid joke math is just reverse stupid joke math.

flangehead 10-29-21 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22286588)
Do people really ride a bicycle in downtown Houston when it's 100° ... in October?

In 100°? Yes I do.

In October? Rarely is it over 100° In October here.

In downtown? I have to ride through downtown a half dozen times a year. I don’t think it’s been over 100°.

High temperatures when biking are less of a problem than many would expect. Wind speed is cooling. Hydration is the key. ​​​​​

livedarklions 10-29-21 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by flangehead (Post 22287933)
In 100°? Yes I do.

In October? Rarely is it over 100° In October here.

In downtown? I have to ride through downtown a half dozen times a year. I don’t think it’s been over 100°.

High temperatures when biking are less of a problem than many would expect. Wind speed is cooling. Hydration is the key. ​​​​​

Riding at relatively high speed is ok in heat, slowly is murder, especially up hills. Slow downtown traffic conditions are probably not ideal in the heat, is Houston riding stop and go or can you maintain enough speed to evaporate sweat quickly?

The bike "ac" doesn't kick in for me below 15 mph. Below that, I think I'm generating more body heat by pedaling than I'm losing.

Bald Paul 10-29-21 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by JW Fas (Post 22287217)

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22287930)
It would be a just world if that was true, but pedestrians get hit by cars a lot.

I think his point was that if NOBODY drove a car and instead walked, there would be a lot fewer car crashes.

livedarklions 10-29-21 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22287956)
I think his point was that if NOBODY drove a car and instead walked, there would be a lot fewer car crashes.

Then that's what he should have written. The way he wrote it makes it sound like you're immune from getting hit by a car if you walk, which is pretty much the opposite of reality.

Honestly, I don't think "if there were no cars, there would be no car crashes" is a point worth making.

indyfabz 10-29-21 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22287956)

But imagine the dramatic increase in people walking into each other. There are already too many distracted walkers with their faces in their phones.

Paul Barnard 10-29-21 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 22286667)

I can easily take a joke about myself and often employ self-defecating humor. This one troubles me because there is a culture, among motorists, of unhealthy attitudes toward bicyclists. We see it play out in discourteous and dangerous interactions with cyclists, much like the recent coal rolling episode that injured 6 cyclists. Their sign plays into the mentality that bicycles don't belong on the road.

On a hunting forum's general BS forum I posted about the crash where a woman ran over a cyclist 3 times, killing him. Someone was pondering what the appropriate punishment should be. One guy joked that she couldn't be sentenced to community service because she had already done it. I actually LOL'd that because it was very obviously a joke, it was made in a very small venue, the venue allowed follow up conversation and it had a limited lifespan. This billboard feels very different from that joke.

Just my take and not intended to be argumentative.

DangerousDanR 10-29-21 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22288153)
... self-defecating ....

I do not think this word means what you think this word means!

rydabent 10-29-21 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by grizzly59 (Post 22286270)
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-16564851.php

Or you can google something like "Truck Yard Houston bike accident sign"

Or a normal person could just laugh it off as a joke. These days no one has a sense of humor, and it seems everyone is looking for a reason to be "offended"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flangehead 10-29-21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22287937)
.... is Houston riding stop and go or can you maintain enough speed to evaporate sweat quickly?...

Stop and go is rare. Acclimatising to the heat is important. Staying hydrated is necessary.

I-Like-To-Bike 10-29-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22288153)
I can easily take a joke about myself and often employ self-defecating humor.

:lol: Doncha mean "self-deprecating"?

Paul Barnard 10-29-21 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 22288321)
:lol: Doncha mean "self-deprecating"?

No, I mean self-defecating. I make myself laugh so hard I soil myself.

livedarklions 10-29-21 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by flangehead (Post 22288315)
Stop and go is rare. Acclimatising to the heat is important. Staying hydrated is necessary.

I do a lot of 100 mile rides in 90+ degrees, I agree with that, but speed is an essential component to make the cooling work.

I-Like-To-Bike 10-29-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22288350)

You're a funny guy!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b26311b572.gif

livedarklions 10-29-21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22288350)

That's very micture of you.

I had a student write a book review once, and she ended it by stating that the book was a "great copulation in the field." I had to confine myself to suggesting she look that word up because I was pretty sure any other response would have gotten me in trouble.

Paul Barnard 10-29-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22288572)
That's very micture of you.

I had a student write a book review once, and she ended it by stating that the book was a "great copulation in the field." I had to confine myself to suggesting she look that word up because I was pretty sure any other response would have gotten me in trouble.

I like to do purposeful malapropisms (did you know there's not a word for that) for effect. Law school prof?

livedarklions 10-29-21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 22288665)
I like to do purposeful malapropisms (did you know there's not a word for that) for effect. Law school prof?

Taught undergrad/grad. school law courses.