Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Ads from Boy's Life 1974 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206014)

dedhed 06-28-20 05:29 PM

Ads from Boy's Life 1974
 
Clearing out parents estate and came across these ads from Boy's Life magazine 1974
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b0813cdf0a.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b4ce2ff0aa.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fee31701bf.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...14cb602ccd.jpg

jackbombay 06-28-20 06:30 PM

That Dana bottom bracket transmission is a new one to me!

Piff 06-28-20 06:44 PM

Ahhhh, back when keeping air clean was patriotic. It'll be nice to one day come back to that national mindset.

3alarmer 06-28-20 07:10 PM

.
...what in the name of heaven is "close coupled frame design" ?

dedhed 06-28-20 07:22 PM


Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 21558695)
.
...what in the name of heaven is "close coupled frame design" ?

I dunno, maybe a nice way of saying "gaspipe"?

Lascauxcaveman 06-28-20 08:32 PM

I was a subscriber back then (though not a member of the BSA) and I remember that Vista ad. My subscription to Boy's Life and Ranger Rick magazines lapsed after my grandma died in '75. She was the one who kept re-upping them. :(

merziac 06-29-20 01:37 AM


Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 21558695)
.
...what in the name of heaven is "close coupled frame design" ?

Close coupled is the curved seatube design as in short wheelbase, R Herse used it on tandems as did Schwinn.

seedsbelize 06-29-20 07:35 AM

My Boys' Life subscription ended in the 60s. I was riding strictly balloon tire bikes at that time.

stardognine 06-29-20 08:29 AM


Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 21558827)
I was a subscriber back then (though not a member of the BSA) and I remember that Vista ad. My subscription to Boy's Life and Ranger Rick magazines lapsed after my grandma died in '75. She was the one who kept re-upping them. :(

Yep, my grandmother got Boys Life for my older brother when I was a kid, so I kinda browsed them pretty good. Grampa passed in 71, & Gramma followed in 72, and that was the end of Boys Life. 😩

T-Mar 06-29-20 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 21558695)
.
...what in the name of heaven is "close coupled frame design" ?

Conjoined frame designers?

stardognine 06-29-20 09:05 AM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21559450)
Conjoined frame designers?

LOL, like a Siamese systems engineer. 🙄😁😉

3alarmer 06-29-20 09:45 AM


Originally Posted by merziac (Post 21559027)
Close coupled is the curved seatube design as in short wheelbase, R Herse used it on tandems as did Schwinn.

...thank you. I wonder if the Vista bike ad writers knew what it meant ?

Salamandrine 06-29-20 11:31 AM

Fun blast from the past. Thanks. Hmm, my older brother and I were cub scouts around this time. Must have read that actual issue when it came out. I remember thinking that those Shimano derailleur ads in Boy's Life were fascinating, having at the time never ridden a bike with a derailleur. Mostly though, I remember the ads for the micro spy cameras and sea monkeys.

merziac 06-29-20 11:57 AM


Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 21559552)
...thank you. I wonder if the Vista bike ad writers knew what it meant ?

Hard to say, I Googlied it and found nada but I did see a couple of nice Vista's back in the day, Volkscycle's too but most were solid bike boom entry level. ;)

squirtdad 06-29-20 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by Salamandrine (Post 21559801)
Fun blast from the past. Thanks. Hmm, my older brother and I were cub scouts around this time. Must have read that actual issue when it came out. I remember thinking that those Shimano derailleur ads in Boy's Life were fascinating, having at the time never ridden a bike with a derailleur. Mostly though, I remember the ads for the micro spy cameras and sea monkeys.

and did you order sea monkeys and be totally disappointed?

dweenk 06-29-20 02:10 PM

Please show the ads from the last pages.

Tomm Willians 06-29-20 02:41 PM


Originally Posted by Piff (Post 21558653)
Ahhhh, back when keeping air clean was patriotic. It'll be nice to one day come back to that national mindset.

my recollection of that era is that emission standards for example were much more relaxed or am I missing your point ?

woodcraft 06-29-20 02:49 PM

Here's a few more for the memory lane trip- Look, Life, '66 & '69. Lots of cigarette ads.

I got Boy's Life, but pretty dull as I recall- got more out of Mad magazine.


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75b92d8353.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d3b54ce3e4.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d5450c9fb1.jpg

non-fixie 06-29-20 03:01 PM

Did American boys know in 1974 who Freddy Maertens was?

Piff 06-29-20 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by Tomm Willians (Post 21560212)
my recollection of that era is that emission standards for example were much more relaxed or am I missing your point ?

Emission standards were more relaxed, but that was during the heydey of federal environmental legislation. These days, despite everything we know about ecology, climate change, the biosphere as a system, national support for federal environmental action is not as widespread as it once was. But...this isn't the P&R sub, sorry for breaking the rules.

dedhed 06-29-20 04:26 PM

1974 was the first year for any type of emissions control on autos, not to mention the only year for the seat belt starter interlock. It basically took another decade until engineering and electronics caught up to bring performance back within the confines of emissions. It's why I'd never own a muscle car made after 1972.

dedhed 06-29-20 04:34 PM

73 or 74 would have been about when I got upgraded from my single speed AMF Roadmaster to a Kmart AllPro 10 speed.
My older brother, who was into bikes about then, also got a French "Orly". My Dad shopped for us 6 kids in bulk a lot at a store called "Railroad Salvage". While there with him one day my brother spotted some boxes that said "Campagnolo". It turned out to be Nuevo Record RD's. I think he talked my Dad into buying 3 of them. He put one on his Orly and on my AllPro. I probably had the only Kmart bike ever with a Campy RD. Bike eventually got stolen. My brother eventually bought a full Campy Botecchia Professional that he still owns.

Salamandrine 06-29-20 05:19 PM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21560102)
and did you order sea monkeys and be totally disappointed?

Of course! :lol:

I'm guessing it happened to you as well? It was a near universal experience.

IIRC my naive and immature brain got over the fact that they weren't actually micro monkeys in about 3 minutes. Still lots of fun. I enjoyed reanimating the crystallized zombie brine shrimp larvae under a microscope.

dedhed 06-29-20 05:27 PM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21560102)
and did you order sea monkeys and be totally disappointed?

The X-Ray glasses. And "Sell GRIT"

squirtdad 06-29-20 05:28 PM


Originally Posted by Salamandrine (Post 21560490)
Of course! :lol:

I'm guessing it happened to you as well? It was a near universal experience.

IIRC my naive and immature brain got over the fact that they weren't actually micro monkeys in about 3 minutes. Still lots of fun. I enjoyed reanimating the crystallized zombie brine shrimp larvae under a microscope.

of course I did also :)

the best things I got from the back of a cereal box or the back of a magazine were 1) a spearshooting, fin kicking frogman for the bathtub...soon confiscated as I shot a sibiling in the base with the pretty pointy spear and b) a set of formulas for fuses, smoke bombs and the like which kept my buddies and I chemistry obsessed over a summer (and back then you could get sulphur and potassium nitrate from the drugstore)

stardognine 06-29-20 06:05 PM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21560509)
of course I did also :)

the best things I got from the back of a cereal box or the back of a magazine were 1) a spearshooting, fin kicking frogman for the bathtub...soon confiscated as I shot a sibiling in the base with the pretty pointy spear and b) a set of formulas for fuses, smoke bombs and the like which kept my buddies and I chemistry obsessed over a summer (and back then you could get sulphur and potassium nitrate from the drugstore)

You probably made those beer can cannons, too? 😁 My older brother made a couple, and got in a bit of a hassle with the police. 🙄😉

I sold Grit newspapers for almost 3 days. Its funny, folks just bought that stuff, back then. Probably to keep kids out of trouble. 🤔 I was probably 7 or 8 when I tried that, so 3 days was a pretty long career. 😉

downtube42 06-29-20 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by stardognine (Post 21560580)
You probably made those beer can cannons, too? 😁 My older brother made a couple, and got in a bit of a hassle with the police. 🙄😉

I sold Grit newspapers for almost 3 days. Its funny, folks just bought that stuff, back then. Probably to keep kids out of trouble. 🤔 I was probably 7 or 8 when I tried that, so 3 days was a pretty long career. 😉

I read so many stories about Eagle Scouts who saved someone's life, that I got the idea you had to save someone's life to make Eagle. That was pretty darned depressing, because I just didn't see that many lifesaving opportunities.

Piff 06-30-20 12:15 AM


Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 21560612)
I read so many stories about Eagle Scouts who saved someone's life, that I got the idea you had to save someone's life to make Eagle. That was pretty darned depressing, because I just didn't see that many lifesaving opportunities.

This almost sounds like a bit of narration from a Woody Allen movie.

Kobe 07-01-20 10:57 AM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21560232)

I owned a '69 Corona in the 80's. More like 0 to 16 in 60 seconds, I bet it's still running somewhere though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.