Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

WhyFi 08-05-21 07:35 AM

Oh, and here's some tire usage that'll make the frugal among us proud. I noticed this when waiting around for the boys to show up last night -

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...262e15bb07.jpg

I had inspected my tires last week and thought that I had some good miles left, so this snuck up on me. I'm actually kind of glad that I didn't see this before leaving home - I would have been tempted to stay home. Instead, I just tried to be a little more conservative with rear brake and not hop too many curbs or do anything else dumb.

ls01 08-05-21 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171719)
Oh, and here's some tire usage that'll make the frugal among us proud. I noticed this when waiting around for the boys to show up last night -

I had inspected my tires last week and thought that I had some good miles left, so this snuck up on me. I'm actually kind of glad that I didn't see this before leaving home - I would have been tempted to stay home. Instead, I just tried to be a little more conservative with rear brake and not hop too many curbs or do anything else dumb.

Good job all around!
As far as going early. I love to hear, " You #@$#er!" As I ride past some unsuspecting soul. It makes me smile. And gives me even more resolve to make it stick.

seedsbelize 08-05-21 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22170917)
Speaking of “crushing souls,” my legs are shot. I feel like crap.Tried to ride this morning and my legs are gone. I have a club metric planned for tomorrow and I may have to back out. On the other hand, it’s a slow group…

And my left knee was in pain in bed last night. A first.

WhyFi 08-05-21 07:43 AM

LPLO again. *sigh*

ls01 08-05-21 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22171533)
perhaps it it just melancholy....

Yes I did!

Nothing? That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Ok the spell check got me. Should have read.
Perhaps it's just melloncholy

Mojo31 08-05-21 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171668)
The discussion of oak mites and the mention of fleas gives me phantom itches. I hate little bitey ****ers and always have fairly itchy reactions to all of 'em.

The oak mites don't just bite - they burrow into your skin.

Mojo31 08-05-21 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22171682)
Yeah. I have heard people talk about fire ants. I think what got me was something tamer.

I was in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing to sit on besides the ground. Because my touring shoes are so big and bulky I have to take them off to remove my leg warmers. I managed to pick the worst spot for that. Two feet in either direction and I would have been ok.

Fire ants are bad here. The mounds typically pop up after a rain, but they will come out of the ground anytime you disturb it. We have to put so much pesticide on our lawn and flower beds to control them, that I'm afraid one day I'll start growing a third arm.

seedsbelize 08-05-21 07:53 AM

Unpacking day. After I fully wake up.

indyfabz 08-05-21 07:57 AM

lplo

WhyFi 08-05-21 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22171740)
The oak mites don't just bite - they burrow into your skin.

Even better.

LAJ 08-05-21 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171759)
Even better.

No doubt.

indyfabz 08-05-21 08:07 AM

I had inspected my tires last week and thought that I had some good miles left, so this snuck up on me.

Had that happen. BITD I ordered tires and other stuff from Performance for an upcoming, hilly, two-day charity ride. Package arrives two days before the event with tires missing. Turns out they were backordered. Though my current set was worn, they looked like they would last the weekend. Got to the first rest stop on day one after about 20 miles and one long-ish climb and the rear looked worse than yours. Patches like that in several places. Hand to purchase a new one from the mechanical service provider. I kept wondering how I lost that much rubber in such a short period of time.

WhyFi 08-05-21 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22171763)
Had that happen. BITD I ordered tires and other stuff from Performance for an upcoming, hilly, two-day charity ride. Package arrives two days before the event with tires missing. Turns out they were backordered. Though my current set was worn, they looked like they would last the weekend. Got to the first rest stop on day one after about 20 miles and one long-ish climb and the rear looked worse than yours. Patches like that in several places. Hand to purchase a new one from the mechanical service provider. I kept wondering how I lost that much rubber in such a short period of time.

Yeah, something similar happened to me with a Schwalbe - it was fine before a metric and, afterwards, there were bare patches all the way around. I guess that's a sign of some really even wear! On the current tire, I could see that other spots were right on the cusp, too - some of the little chevron thingies looked like they might just peel off.

phrantic09 08-05-21 08:44 AM

Is that the Michelin? How many miles. I just ordered a set because my Schwalbe are toast.

phrantic09 08-05-21 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171701)
It's been really dry here this year - too dry. The silver lining has been the lack of mosquitoes; I've only had one bite this year. I hate mosquitoes.

we’ve had the opposite and it sucks

WhyFi 08-05-21 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22171817)
Is that the Michelin? How many miles. I just ordered a set because my Schwalbe are toast.

A little over 3k, which is a little more than I'd gotten out of the Schwalbe POEA

phrantic09 08-05-21 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171837)
A little over 3k, which is a little more than I'd gotten out of the Schwalbe POEA

Nice, same on the POEA - roughly 3000. Looking forward to giving the Michelin a shot.

WhyFi 08-05-21 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22171854)
Nice, same on the POEA - roughly 3000. Looking forward to giving the Michelin a shot.

I had to run the Michelin a little lower than the Schwalbe for roughly the same feel; at the same pressure, the Michelin were a little more harsh. That, along with the fact that Michelin hold air like champs, meant often going a week without pumping up, which is a minor, but nice, convenience.

DougRNS 08-05-21 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22171674)
I brush by a favorite beetle lunch hangout, during my lawn cutting activities. Dozens of the little buggers tumble on to me and the mower.

is your mower battery powered or are you stuck in the 70's?

Velo Vol 08-05-21 10:14 AM

I just tried to be a little more conservative with rear brake and not hop too many curbs or do anything else dumb.

What do you normally do? Skid to stops at the light?

WhyFi 08-05-21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22171941)
What do you normally do? Skid to stops at the light?

No, but I tend to brake with the rear more than I do with the front.

datlas 08-05-21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171837)

You know, the GP5000 tires have magic wear indicators which could prevent such a calamity. :innocent:

rjones28 08-05-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22171696)
The winds stayed true and I got to go out and crush some souls last night - good fun. :D

Rather than sprint for town signs, I decided to spice it up a little and try to ride off of the front, instead, and see if I could hold them off. For a particular sign at the end of a 2-mile straight, I jumped with about a mile and a third to go, giving them a fighting chance to track me down. I gapped them in the time that it took for the dumbness of my move register and then I pushed to maintain that gap. Once they gave up, I wound down and rolled past the sign. I had tried to make that move last year, and got pipped at the line, so to make it stick was gratifying.

Also set a season best 60sec power record on that effort. Actually, in the last week, I've set season bests at 5sec, 60sec, 5min and 20min. Maybe that's the silver lining of the forced recovery, due to the wildfire haze.

Epic

rjones28 08-05-21 11:06 AM

:twitchy:

rjones28 08-05-21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22171939)
is your mower battery powered or are you stuck in the 70's?

It has a battery, but that's just for firing up the mighty Kawasaki V-Twin. :D