Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

LesterOfPuppets 08-14-21 09:28 PM

Yep, grand salami for the rotten cheaters

datlas 08-14-21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22184728)

Ok. Am typing on iPhone so it will be the abridged version. Left at 6AM. Borrowed bike has FD that is fiddly so of course overthrew chain onto crank and had to stop to unwind it. Went on some semi-major roads to get to MUP which took me to Santa Monica. Took PCH North which was busy and a bit scary, finally turned off onto Topanga Canyon road and climbed for a few miles. The canyons are beautiful and low traffic. Must return.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...32644d154.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6ca056c9d.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a5b47a12.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a893aed9.jpeg

Bah Humbug 08-14-21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22184038)
See how many different state license plates you spot.

Texas, Texas, and more Texas. I think the entire state of Texas was spending the last week before school vacationing in Colorado. Lots and lots of the cars were even marked with dealer logos from Austin. The gas stations in NM were hit by Texas SUVs with bikes hanging off of them like swarms of locusts.

Oh and I think half the student body of CU is from Washington, with $85,000 luxury SUVs.

LesterOfPuppets 08-14-21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22184892)
The gas stations in NM were hit by Texas SUVs with bikes hanging off of them like swarms of locusts.

Leadville 100 participants?

big john 08-14-21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22184887)
Ok. Am typing on iPhone so it will be the abridged version. Left at 6AM. Borrowed bike has FD that is fiddly so of course overthrew chain onto crank and had to stop to unwind it. Went on some semi-major roads to get to MUP which took me to Santa Monica. Took PCH North which was busy and a bit scary, finally turned off onto Topanga Canyon road and climbed for a few miles. The canyons are beautiful and low traffic. Must return.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a893aed9.jpeg

That looks like the bottom of Fernwood. If you were to climb that all the way to the top you would be at the overlook in my earlier picture with the guy looking out over the ocean.
Topanga canyon is a major commuter route. Very busy weekdays and hot afternoons on weekends.
I'd like to go for a ride with you if there's a way to make it happen. Are you here next weekend? I'm free all week but driving from here to the Santa Monica area during rush hour is one of the worst commutes in LA., unless I left at 5:00. Let me know your thoughts. If not, enjoy your visit and let me know if you have any other questions.

LesterOfPuppets 08-14-21 10:20 PM

Oh and I think half the student body of CU is from Washington, with $85,000 luxury SUVs.

if you can't get into UW, you gotta go somewhere I guess :)

datlas 08-15-21 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22184904)
That looks like the bottom of Fernwood. If you were to climb that all the way to the top you would be at the overlook in my earlier picture with the guy looking out over the ocean.
Topanga canyon is a major commuter route. Very busy weekdays and hot afternoons on weekends.
I'd like to go for a ride with you if there's a way to make it happen. Are you here next weekend? I'm free all week but driving from here to the Santa Monica area during rush hour is one of the worst commutes in LA., unless I left at 5:00. Let me know your thoughts. If not, enjoy your visit and let me know if you have any other questions.

Will let you know. Today I am riding in LA there is a “La Grange” group ride I will try but sounds like serious cyclists so I expect to get dropped. Tomorrow is move-in day for daughter so short ride, if any. The rest of the week I do hope to get some rides in, I am an early riser so likely leave at daybreak which gets me to Topanga by 7AM. I do want to try some of the more famous climbs like Latigo. Ideally I still want to be back in LA by noonish for family time. Will be here through Saturday.

Bah Humbug 08-15-21 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22184900)

Most of those bikes would have had zero chance of surviving a quarter of tha.

Bah Humbug 08-15-21 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22184907)
if you can't get into UW, you gotta go somewhere I guess :)

Or, when daddy has oodles of money you might as well get a 4-6 year vacation in one of the greatest towns in the country.

Mojo31 08-15-21 06:30 AM

Texas, Texas, and more Texas. I think the entire state of Texas was spending the last week before school vacationing in Colorado. Lots and lots of the cars were even marked with dealer logos from Austin. The gas stations in NM were hit by Texas SUVs with bikes hanging off of them like swarms of locusts.

We are going to Telluride this week. You may be on to something.

Cyclist0105 08-15-21 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22183420)
Correct. The change to autumn.

I am almost ready to replay with a music video.

rjones28 08-15-21 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22184900)

Couple of our customers (husband and wife, so an actual couple) were at Leadville. I rebuilt his MTB wheels. Hope he didn't break them.

Velo Vol 08-15-21 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22184858)
It's 2021. Guys never take off their caps anymore.

Most days I don't put one on.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22184863)
Are you an aficionado?

I know things.

Texas, Texas, and more Texas. I think the entire state of Texas was spending the last week before school vacationing in Colorado

That's boring.

Originally Posted by JAG1 (Post 22185100)
I am almost ready to replay with a music video.

No.

big john 08-15-21 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22185101)
Couple of our customers (husband and wife, so an actual couple) were at Leadville. I rebuilt his MTB wheels. Hope he didn't break them.

I've never been there but I think it's not technical or very rough. Just 12.6K feet of climbing at altitude! Winners are usually on lightweight hardtails.

big john 08-15-21 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22184997)
Will let you know. Today I am riding in LA there is a “La Grange” group ride I will try but sounds like serious cyclists so I expect to get dropped. Tomorrow is move-in day for daughter so short ride, if any. The rest of the week I do hope to get some rides in, I am an early riser so likely leave at daybreak which gets me to Topanga by 7AM. I do want to try some of the more famous climbs like Latigo. Ideally I still want to be back in LA by noonish for family time. Will be here through Saturday.

Saturday would be best for me. It's supposed to cool down starting Tuesday which would make climbing nicer.

La Grange is a big club with riders of various abilities. Some of them are fast, no doubt.

datlas 08-15-21 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22185163)
Saturday would be best for me. It's supposed to cool down starting Tuesday which would make climbing nicer.

La Grange is a big club with riders of various abilities. Some of them are fast, no doubt.

Leaving in a few minutes. I expect to get dropped, but maybe if there is a sweeper I can hold on. Going up Nichols Canyon to Mulholland. If I get lost I can follow the breadcrumbs on my gps to get back.

DougRNS 08-15-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22184997)

How did I miss this?

seedsbelize 08-15-21 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22185060)
We are going to Telluride this week. You may be on to something.

RIP Kate Wolf

genejockey 08-15-21 09:00 AM

Next Saturday, another local C&V fan and I will be doing a C&V focused ride here. We're basically going over the local Loop that everyone rides, but with a number of more scenic back roads that I like. My partner-in-crime has a GPX file from me, but I realized that many folks may not have head units that allow turn-by-turn navigation, so I wrote up a cue sheet.

The ride is 28 miles. There are 19 turns. That seems like a lot.

LesterOfPuppets 08-15-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22185157)
I've never been there but I think it's not technical or very rough. Just 12.6K feet of climbing at altitude! Winners are usually on lightweight hardtails.

Most of the video I've seen is fireroad/mild jeep trail type stuff.

Lance won on a double boinger, and rode the whole thing with a rear flat :)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...77202f5c8d.jpg

​​​

Bah Humbug 08-15-21 09:06 AM

Tried to turn the AC up this morning and the lovely thermostat screen wouldn’t turn on. After figuring out how to get it off the wall and determining that there was nothing to fix on it, I got an appointment with the local Lennox guys for tomorrow.

However, when I put the unit back on the wall, the screen turned on momentarily before failing with a weird sound. I did that again and was able to turn it down to 70° before it failed off again. It’s still blowing when it gets too warm though, but we’re going to have to live as coolly as possible today. And tomorrow. And hope they have the part, probably a new thermostat. FML.

Should have never come back to Texas.

LesterOfPuppets 08-15-21 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22185190)
Next Saturday, another local C&V fan and I will be doing a C&V focused ride here. We're basically going over the local Loop that everyone rides, but with a number of more scenic back roads that I like. My partner-in-crime has a GPX file from me, but I realized that many folks may not have head units that allow turn-by-turn navigation, so I wrote up a cue sheet.

The ride is 28 miles. There are 19 turns. That seems like a lot.

RidewithGPS will generate cue sheets. You usually have to double-check them and do a couple edits, but still a neat feature.

I copy/paste into notepad++ and format it how I like, then print them out for longer rides in unknown territory.

Mojo31 08-15-21 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22185193)
Tried to turn the AC up this morning and the lovely thermostat screen wouldn’t turn on. After figuring out how to get it off the wall and determining that there was nothing to fix on it, I got an appointment with the local Lennox guys for tomorrow.

However, when I put the unit back on the wall, the screen turned on momentarily before failing with a weird sound. I did that again and was able to turn it down to 70° before it failed off again. It’s still blowing when it gets too warm though, but we’re going to have to live as coolly as possible today. And tomorrow. And hope they have the part, probably a new thermostat. FML.

Be glad it’s just a thermostat. You could go to HD and install yourself. Just a few wires that are color coded. About the easiest home repair you can do.

BillyD 08-15-21 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22185036)
Or, when daddy has oodles of money you might as well get a 4-6 year vacation in one of the greatest towns in the country.

What town is that, Boulder? I've never spent any time in Colorado, only passed through a few times. Eventually I'll make it happen.

BillyD 08-15-21 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22185193)

That's been my credo for a very long time. :lol: