Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LesterOfPuppets 04-29-20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21446168)
Indeed. The latest update from community band HQ says we may not be together again until September. :cry:

You should Zoom a band practice or two.

LesterOfPuppets 04-29-20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21446086)
Is this the "college reveal" photo?

Nope, it's the Mrs. datlas is a Mariners fan reveal photo. Who knew?

datlas 04-29-20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21446175)
Woah! Go M's!

Mrs datlas is a baseball fan and her favorite player is/was Ichiro Suzuki. Hence the shirt.

datlas 04-29-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21446132)
No Temple shirt?

Nope. Sad.

bampilot06 04-29-20 07:02 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d9863296.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ded6acc8b.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...da169880a.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9f9cf8f5b.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3dfc1be31.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8af31d77f.jpeg

Here are the pictures of me riding. Sorry they didnít turn out all that well. Wife was trying to keep our two year old from running in the street as she took these.

rjones28 04-29-20 07:24 PM

I don't see anything obviously horrible going on here.

Your back is a bit rounded. Do you usually ride with your hands at the back of the hoods like that?

Based on the first pic, saddle position seems okay. Biased back, maybe

Looking at the third pic, your leg extension isn't bad. You might have some room to raise the seat a little.

bampilot06 04-29-20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21446350)
I don't see anything obviously horrible going on here.

Your back is a bit rounded. Do you usually ride with your hands at the back of the hoods like that?

Based on the first pic, saddle position seems okay. Biased back, maybe

Looking at the third pic, your leg extension isn't bad. You might have some room to raise the seat a little.

I typically keep my hands on the back of the hoods. I usually only drop on sprints, only because for the longest time I didnít use the drops at all.

I actually just lowered the seat a couple of mm right before this picture, my leg felt like it was having to stretch at the bottom.

rjones28 04-29-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21446375)
I typically keep my hands on the back of the hoods. I usually only drop on sprints, only because for the longest time I didnít use the drops at all.

I actually just lowered the seat a couple of mm right before this picture, my leg felt like it was having to stretch at the bottom.

Ok. I'd say try that new seat height for a few rides and see how you like it.

MoAlpha 04-29-20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21446297)
Here are the pictures of me riding. Sorry they didn’t turn out all that well. Wife was trying to keep our two year old from running in the street as she took these.

I don't want to hold myself out as any sort of expert, but the pictures suggest to me that you are fighting the position the bike wants you to assume. I think you are protracting your shoulders, hyperextending your arms, and sliding back on the hoods, to keep from having to flex your hips and lower the back to where it needs to be. I want to hear what the others have to say, but I think the fix is to work on getting comfortable with being more horizontal on the bike.

Many here call it flexibility, but I believe it's got a lot more to do with the gluteal strength to cantilever the trunk out from the pelvis without straining the lower back. In my case, I have found deadlifts, bridges, squats etc., very helpful for getting low on the bike and you can't do them safely without strengthening the rest of the core.

Velo Vol 04-29-20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21446176)
You should Zoom a band practice or two.

I've never zoomed, but I can't imagine doing more than one part at a time that way.

rjones28 04-29-20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21446404)
I've never zoomed, but I can't imagine doing more than one part at a time that way.

This is how we zoomed BITD.

bampilot06 04-29-20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21446395)
I don't want to hold myself out as any sort of expert, but the pictures suggest to me that you are fighting the position the bike wants you to assume. I think you are protracting your shoulders, hyperextending your arms, and sliding back on the hoods, to keep from having to flex your hips and lower the back to where it needs to be. I want to hear what the others have to say, but I think the fix is to work on getting comfortable with being more horizontal on the bike.

Many here call it flexibility, but I believe it's got a lot more to do with the gluteal strength to cantilever the trunk out from the pelvis. In my case, I have found deadlifts, bridges, squats etc., very helpful for getting low on the bike and you can't do them safely without strengthening the rest of the core.

Thanks Mo, I am definitely not flexible at all, and I do find my self locking my arms while riding to keep my more up right. Iíll try to be more conscious of this in the future. I will add bridges and body squats to my routine. Currently using trx cables since most hotel gyms are closed.

Heathpack 04-29-20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21445599)
I don't have a fancy PM but I do have a sense of my power from Zwift rides, and I have been looking at the power estimates from Strava. I do think they are reasonably close for solo rides. Clearly they do NOT take into account wind and other factors, but for a very rough approximation it's not half bad. I would guess it's within 20% of reality for an entire ride. For segments the error rate is a bit higher, of course.

Has anyone compared what Strava says and what your PM says to see if my observation is consistent?

If you have a power meter, you see the actual power data on your Strava and not the estimates. So you canít say. But my impression is the Strava estimates I see for friends are very inaccurate. To the point of being meaningless.

MoAlpha 04-29-20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21446423)
Thanks Mo, I am definitely not flexible at all, and I do find my self locking my arms while riding to keep my more up right. Iíll try to be more conscious of this in the future. I will add bridges and body squats to my routine. Currently using trx cables since most hotel gyms are closed.

To restate, I think we lock our arms to protect the lower back when it lacks adequate support from the hip extensors. Cycling does little or nothing to strengthen them. All of us can bend at the hip, so the issue isn't really flexibility. While some cyclists round their backs a lot the back can't provide the amount of flexion you're going to need and spin flexion puts you at risk for disc herniation and other problems.

Velo Vol 04-29-20 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21446417)

I want to erase what I just heard from my memory.

Velo Vol 04-29-20 08:22 PM

I wonder how my cycling positioning would be graded by the committee?

I'd probably want to go pass/fail.

kissTheApex 04-29-20 08:38 PM

After some fake miles today, I mowed the lawn with a reel mower. My neighbors were amused. Knowing that Strava does not accept “walks” I did not post it.

phrantic09 04-29-20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21446395)

Many here call it flexibility, but I believe it's got a lot more to do with the gluteal strength to cantilever the trunk out from the pelvis without straining the lower back. In my case, I have found deadlifts, bridges, squats etc., very helpful for getting low on the bike and you can't do them safely without strengthening the rest of the core.

agree with this, but also not an expert.

Iíd also offer a slightly different perspective- when I was on a more upright endurance type geometry I found my arms were usually straight (like in the pic) as I was fighting my bodyís natural desire to want to be more stretched out and lower. By getting a bike with a lower stack and extending the reach with a longer stem, Iím naturally riding with a flat(ish) back and bent arms. It may seem counterintuitive, but may be worth reducing the # of spacers to see if that helps.

Also agree on deadlifts, squats and a core regimen. It helps, a lot. I know itís not necessarily feasible for you, but pre Covid I was working with a personal trainer 2x a week and lifting heavy really helped develop the strength to ride better. YMMV obviously.

Velo Vol 04-29-20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21446490)
After some fake miles today, I mowed the lawn with a reel mower. My neighbors were amused. Knowing that Strava does not accept ďwalksĒ I did not post it.

Kudos.

Strava does accept walks, they just don't count.

rjones28 04-29-20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21446466)
I want to erase what I just heard from my memory.

You're welcome.

rjones28 04-29-20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21446469)

We'll be happy to judge you.

noodle soup 04-29-20 09:09 PM

I woke up an hour ago, and started to cook breakfast. Whoops.

No bacon was wasted because of this mistake.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...cedae656_o.jpg

LAJ 04-29-20 09:19 PM

If that's how you cook when you're asleep.... Dang....

noodle soup 04-29-20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21446553)
If that's how you cook when you're asleep.... Dang....

I started to cook breakfast, and then realized it was 7:30 PM.

A quick change of gears, and the bacon was saved.

LesterOfPuppets 04-29-20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21446573)
I started to cook breakfast, and then realized it was 7:30 PM.

A quick change of gears, and the bacon was saved.

It's pretty easy to sleep through the afternoon when it's 104į and you've got nothing you can't put off til tomorrow. :)

MoAlpha 04-30-20 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21446469)

No guesses from me.

The point is whether youíre happy with how you feel on the bike. bampilot06 would like to feel better.

Velo Vol 04-30-20 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21446784)
No guesses from me.

The point is whether youíre happy with how you feel on the bike. bampilot06 would like to feel better.

I'd feel better on the bike without bulbous knees. Just sayin'

Velo Vol 04-30-20 07:34 AM

Sad.

LAJ 04-30-20 07:36 AM

Yep. Good thing that's an active country, because what could be wrong with dipping starch into mayo?

bampilot06 04-30-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21446498)
agree with this, but also not an expert.

Iíd also offer a slightly different perspective- when I was on a more upright endurance type geometry I found my arms were usually straight (like in the pic) as I was fighting my bodyís natural desire to want to be more stretched out and lower. By getting a bike with a lower stack and extending the reach with a longer stem, Iím naturally riding with a flat(ish) back and bent arms. It may seem counterintuitive, but may be worth reducing the # of spacers to see if that helps.

Also agree on deadlifts, squats and a core regimen. It helps, a lot. I know itís not necessarily feasible for you, but pre Covid I was working with a personal trainer 2x a week and lifting heavy really helped develop the strength to ride better. YMMV obviously.

Thanks for the input everyone. Really appreciate it. Bike came with the spacers stacked as shown, and I will consider trying to lower the stem to see how that feels. Waiting on a torque wrench currently. (bmx days we would crank everything tight, donít want to break carbon). I have a gym at my house that I can utilize. Last summer when I first went out of work lifting was my priority, but once I started cycling that kind of took over. Now that I am at work, gyms are limited due to covid, so my focus has shifted to primarily over all fitness. Convict conditioning and cardio. I can def. incorporate heavy reads once a week, and I will add some more focus to my core.

I am glad nothing of big concern was pointed out.
Thanks for the help.