Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 05-01-20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21449786)
M A S S H O L E S

If youíve ever driven there youíll know the description is apt

For a while I was splitting time at work between Boston and here, commuting from the Marblehead house was always an awesome time. 90 minutes from house to parking garage for a total distance of 12 miles. Iím an honorary M*******

Heathpack 05-01-20 05:23 PM

Updates:

1. I was having a beautiful ride this morning, back in a local canyon, listening to the quietness of the wind, birdsongs, and moving water. Enjoying it so much that I was planning three ascent of the hill in that canyon. Then on descent #2 , I cut a tire. Just replaced it two weeks ago too. Another cut tire then. I can’t tell y’all the last time I had a flat.

2. When I checked on Strava to look at the Magic Bikes odometer (to record the mileage at which we changed the tire), I noticed that the TT bikes odometer is 5 miles from ticking over 10,000 miles. So there shall be a celebratory ride on the TT bike on Sunday. Something nice to mark the occasion properly.

3. I can’t stop baking.

Heathpack 05-01-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21449793)
Seypat might have issues with this post

Lol Iím a New Yorker and when I lived in Boston I was constantly amazed by the ridiculous aggressiveness of Massachusetts drivers.

datlas 05-01-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21449796)
that has me thinking for a while too. I was ascared to ask lest my lack of knowledge show. :D

If we canít demonstrate our ignorance in Addiction, where else could we??

phrantic09 05-01-20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21449814)
Lol Iím a New Yorker and when I lived in Boston I was constantly amazed by the ridiculous aggressiveness of Massachusetts drivers.

My wife lived there for 20 years and called it aggressively defensive

Heathpack 05-01-20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21449806)
For a while I was splitting time at work between Boston and here, commuting from the Marblehead house was always an awesome time. 90 minutes from house to parking garage for a total distance of 12 miles. Iím an honorary M*******

The drivers drove me from the state. Right up to Maine where civility prevailed.

phrantic09 05-01-20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21449819)
The drivers drove me from the state. Right up to Maine where civility prevailed.

Iíll be honest though, the N.Y. Capital area drivers are a ton worse in bad weather.

datlas 05-01-20 05:33 PM

I got kicked off the podium today. But tomorrow should be able to claw my way back on. Prolly.

Heathpack 05-01-20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21449818)
My wife lived there for 20 years and called it aggressively defensive

NY?

Having grown up in the NY Metro area and lived in Boston for my first grown up job, the difference I observed is New Yorkerís obnoxiousness is a side effect of being time constrained. Itís not intentional or directed at you personally.

In Boston though I felt like people were deliberately being confrontational and obnoxious for the sole purpose of giving the other guy $hit. It wasnít inadvertent, it was the end goal of their behavior. Not just while driving, but in life in general.

Ive lived lots of places- NY Metro, North Carolina, rural Alabama, rural Georgia, Boston, Portland ME, and LA. The only place I didnít like was Boston, and it was the people not really the town or the climate or the cool cultural stuff. I hated my job so maybe that soured me on the entire experience.

Although I do have a good friend from childhood who went to Boston College and settled in the area and she loves it. So maybe Iím too hard on the place, Iíll admit.

seedsbelize 05-01-20 05:43 PM

Mayberry(aka Tixkokob) has been under reasonably enforced lockdown for a little over a month. Our mayor announced our first confirmed case, this morning

Bah Humbug 05-01-20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21449770)
Operation ďFatten GooseĒ has started. Pizza and strawberry shortcake.

Tough life.

bampilot06 05-01-20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21449735)
Seagull Century (Salisbury, MD) is like that as well, ~101 miles with a total ascent of 158 miles...

my kind of climbing. :innocent:

Never thought that I would see the location Salisbury, MD on this forum. Itís head quarters for my airline, and a very strange place.

indyfabz 05-01-20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21449815)
If we canít demonstrate our ignorance in Addiction, where else could we??

Having gone to high school in MA, I knew what he meant. But to be honest, the two times Iíve ridden in the western part of the state I found the drivers to be courteous to me. Maybe that was because I was in relatively light traffic areas.

Bah Humbug 05-01-20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21449782)
I am trying to figure out the censored word.

Motorists?

Massachusetts demonym, according to civilized people everywhere. Comprised of wordplay suitable for a gastroenterologist.

Bah Humbug 05-01-20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21449822)
Iíll be honest though, the N.Y. Capital area drivers are a ton worse in bad weather.

Now that just beggars belief. I miss the snappy efficiency of Albany drivers. Even Manhattan isn't as bad as Boston. In Mass the drivers will cut you off for sport; NY drivers are predictable and rational.

And Maine is just Massachusetts North.

And Austin drivers can't even handle the rain.

phrantic09 05-01-20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21449873)
Having gone to high school in MA, I knew what he meant. But to be honest, the two times Iíve ridden in the western part of the state I found the drivers to be courteous to me. Maybe that was because I was in relatively light traffic areas.

Western Mass people arenít M*******s

phrantic09 05-01-20 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21449832)
NY?

Having grown up in the NY Metro area and lived in Boston for my first grown up job, the difference I observed is New Yorkerís obnoxiousness is a side effect of being time constrained. Itís not intentional or directed at you personally.

In Boston though I felt like people were deliberately being confrontational and obnoxious for the sole purpose of giving the other guy $hit. It wasnít inadvertent, it was the end goal of their behavior. Not just while driving, but in life in general.

Ive lived lots of places- NY Metro, North Carolina, rural Alabama, rural Georgia, Boston, Portland ME, and LA. The only place I didnít like was Boston, and it was the people not really the town or the climate or the cool cultural stuff. I hated my job so maybe that soured me on the entire experience.

Although I do have a good friend from childhood who went to Boston College and settled in the area and she loves it. So maybe Iím too hard on the place, Iíll admit.

Boston, she went to BU and then Northeastern and never left (until she moved here).

I like the North Shore (MHD, Cape Ann, etc), the city is okay for the occasional night out.

Agree on the people, not generally friendly.

phrantic09 05-01-20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21449803)
ZBS was located there at one time. Is it still? Love me some Jack Flanders

I think so

Bah Humbug 05-01-20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21449902)
Agree on the people, not generally friendly.

Interestingly, the Boston transplants to Austin are some of my favorite people here, other than their terrible taste in sports teams.

phrantic09 05-01-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21449909)
Interestingly, the Boston transplants to Austin are some of my favorite people here, other than their terrible taste in sports teams.

Itís probably because they left.

I enjoyed Austin the week I was there. Wife and I have been taking trips to see where we want to settle once my daughters are out of high school and it was on our list.

We spent a lot of time in East Austin, some great brews and food over there and did an awesome bike and brew tour.

Bah Humbug 05-01-20 06:24 PM

So we're still watching the incredibly-long and great coverage of the IAAF championships from last year (remember sports?) and AG asks "how do people wind up as decathletes?" I respond "...probably the same way they wind up as triathletes." :foo:

kissTheApex 05-01-20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21449819)

Never drive in DC... Most of us believe turn signals charge you by the blink, and signs and lights are suggestions.. :notamused: Drivers having FaceTime/video calls while driving is a common occurrence :troll:

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21449871)
Never thought that I would see the location Salisbury, MD on this forum. It’s head quarters for my airline, and a very strange place.

Also the headquarters of Purdue. The year I rode the century there was a large contingency of Purdue employees riding in matching kits. They looked exactly like their packaged products in the meat aisle.. not sure if they had “words” afterwards. :roflmao2:

LAJ 05-01-20 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21449943)
Never drive in DC... Most of us believe turn signals charge you by the blink, and signs and lights are suggestions.. :notamused: Drivers having FaceTime/video calls while driving is a common occurrence :troll:

Also the headquarters of Purdue. The year I rode the century there was a large contingency of Purdue employees riding in matching kits. They looked exactly like their packaged products in the meat aisle.. not sure if they had ďwordsĒ afterwards. :roflmao2:

I couldn't believe the constant horn honking there.

Pirkaus 05-01-20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21449889)
Western Mass people arenít M*******s

M*******s generally can be found inside the Route 495, inside Route 128, the horn is how you communicate, and directional signal are for tourists. In downtown Boston and surrounding suburbs, if you dive politely, your gonna die. Living in southern New Hampshire, we get the weekend influx of these fine people every weekend.

phrantic09 05-01-20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21449998)
M*******s generally can be found inside the Route 495, inside Route 128, the horn is how you communicate, and directional signal are for tourists. In downtown Boston and surrounding suburbs, if you dive politely, your gonna die. Living in southern New Hampshire, we get the weekend influx of these fine people every weekend.

Inside 128, outside 1A, generally

Bah Humbug 05-01-20 07:07 PM

Also funny is, my sister lives in Cambridge and insists she has never run into one of these people and has no idea what I'm talking about and claims it's all in my head. My mother also professes that Bostonians are polite and educated and cultured. I'd really love to know where the other side of this dichotomy is, because they and the rest of my family talk about a Boston I've never been able to find.

Pirkaus 05-01-20 07:13 PM

Around here just about every town with a river has some form of a River Road, be it upper, lower, north south.......
As far as elevation goes, I've said before, you can't swing a dead cat with a 1000' of elevation gain.

Velo Vol 05-01-20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21449770)
Operation ďFatten GooseĒ has started. Pizza and strawberry shortcake.

Kudos.

I'm eating salad.

LesterOfPuppets 05-01-20 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21450063)
Kudos.

I'm eating salad.

Turkey burgers and Ranch Style beans here. Fresh pineapple for first dessert, then cheesecake later for second dessert.

ls01 05-01-20 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21449614)
I aced my test. INR was right in the middle of the therapeutic range.

well...let that be a lesson to ya?