Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 04-17-20 03:40 PM

The GCN fans with a juvenile sense of humour will get a kick out of Dan Lloyd's latest instagram post - https://www.instagram.com/daniellloyd1/

edit: grrr - I had to link to his profile because it was embedding the photo from his post, otherwise. When the heck did BF get IG embeds?! Anyway, see profile, look at latest post.

Velo Vol 04-17-20 03:49 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21423565)
I am overtaken by a rider who greets me in an antopodean accent and notes my absence of water bottles.

Kudos.

LesterOfPuppets 04-17-20 03:56 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423954)
When I actually get out on the road again, my ride is going to be so smoooooth. In addition to swapping out the chain, I just re-greased my Speedplays.

When ​​​​​Bah Humbug mentioned Cadbury's at Walgreens the other day, I took it as a sign/reminder that it was time to re-grease my pedals, so I stopped in for a cream egg and a grease gun dosing syringe (I'm sure datlas would approve my little bit of frugality). The cream egg was 50% off and the pharmacist gave me the dosing syringe for free - score!

Wow, if they're that confident marking down olde candy 50% and giving away medical equipment, they must be expecting a lot of Covid related business. Possible stock buy :)

ls01 04-17-20 04:07 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21423565)
Strange encounter on road this morning.

I am overtaken by a rider who greets me in an antopodean accent and notes my absence of water bottles. Our subsequent exchange was as follows:

Rider: Here, tyke wonna moyn!

Me: Like I would drink your water?

Rider: Ow royt, COW-VID. I got sow minny otha voyruses, one maw izzn gunna mike any difference!

Me: Well, let's not have sex today, then.

Rider: Good idea!

At which point we came to a crossing, I thanked him for his concern, and we went our separate ways. I have no doubt he would have kept chatting at barely arm's length if I'd chosen to stay with him.

Turns out to be a former pro and local cycling celeb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_P._Clark

Should I kudos him?

absolutely

ericy 04-17-20 04:18 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21423794)
That said, it can be argued that the confidence inspired by the Shuttle's perfect track record previous to STS-51-L was a contributor to the eventual loss, SpaceX has never flown humans so it can be assumed that they are going to take no chances at all. They hopefully won't have any complacency in the system culture like what was going on before the Challenger disaster. I think we can assume that the booster will be brand-new, fresh out of the box, too :D

After the accident, they worked out the chances of a catastrophic failure - not an easy calculation, but they identified what they thought to be all of the failure modes, and the probabilities. What they came up with was that about 1 in every 30 missions would end up in a catastrophic failure.

A lot of it was the complexity of the thing, and the design was forced by some early design decisions. The Air Force wanted to use the shuttle to launch spy satellites, and those things are big. So the cargo bay was big, and that made the rest of it big. Some of the design decisions were political - the solid rocket boosters were made in Utah to satisfy a power politician, but they were too big to transport in one piece, so they went with a segmented design.

If I were doing it now, I would use a small rocket with just a crew capsule and minimal cargo to transport humans, and use larger unmanned rockets to haul stuff.

MoAlpha 04-17-20 04:21 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423954)
When I actually get out on the road again, my ride is going to be so smoooooth. In addition to swapping out the chain, I just re-greased my Speedplays.

When ​​​​​Bah Humbug mentioned Cadbury's at Walgreens the other day, I took it as a sign/reminder that it was time to re-grease my pedals, so I stopped in for a cream egg and a grease gun dosing syringe (I'm sure datlas would approve my little bit of frugality). The cream egg was 50% off and the pharmacist gave me the dosing syringe for free - score!

I haven't had an egg cream since they schpritzed them up for you at the soda fountain in the drug stores and little hole in the wall tobacco, candy, and newspaper places in NYC. Was it in a can?

WhyFi 04-17-20 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21424058)
I haven't had an egg cream since they schpritzed them up for you at the soda fountain in the drug stores and little hole in the wall tobacco, candy, and newspaper places in NYC. Was it in a can?

Okay, Boomer. :notamused:

seedsbelize 04-17-20 04:47 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423954)
When I actually get out on the road again, my ride is going to be so smoooooth. In addition to swapping out the chain, I just re-greased my Speedplays.

When ​​​​​Bah Humbug mentioned Cadbury's at Walgreens the other day, I took it as a sign/reminder that it was time to re-grease my pedals, so I stopped in for a cream egg and a grease gun dosing syringe (I'm sure datlas would approve my little bit of frugality). The cream egg was 50% off and the pharmacist gave me the dosing syringe for free - score!

It might be August til I get back out on the road. That's what they're pognosticating for the plague's end.

MoAlpha 04-17-20 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21424061)
Okay, Boomer. :notamused:

Hey man, we went off to ride in unpadded-chamois wool shorts and made this country what it is!

kissTheApex 04-17-20 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423992)
The GCN fans with a juvenile sense of humour will get a kick out of Dan Lloyd's latest instagram post - https://www.instagram.com/daniellloyd1/

edit: grrr - I had to link to his profile because it was embedding the photo from his post, otherwise. When the heck did BF get IG embeds?! Anyway, see profile, look at latest post.

:roflmao2:

Velo Vol 04-17-20 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21424101)
It might be August til I get back out on the road. That's what they're pognosticating for the plague's end.

You're not going to ride due to the virus?

Jadesfire 04-17-20 06:10 PM

British, with some NSFW (if that matters at the moment), but sadly very appropriate on this side of the pond, too. The last paragraph is definitely food for thought.
https://theovertake.com/~beta/franki...an-apocalypse/

MoAlpha 04-17-20 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by Jadesfire (Post 21424239)
British, with some NSFW (if that matters at the moment), but sadly very appropriate on this side of the pond, too. The last paragraph is definitely food for thought.
https://theovertake.com/~beta/franki...an-apocalypse/

That's very funny in a bitter way. I had to look up a couple of the names, but that's good for me.

big john 04-17-20 07:37 PM

I never learn. This morning I got into it with a friend's sister on Facebook ( I guess she's a friend, too) after we discussed politics. I just got out of the dog house for the last indiscretion.
The next gathering is going to be awkward to say the least.

I hope to go riding tomorrow and not think about it.

seedsbelize 04-17-20 08:19 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21424149)
You're not going to ride due to the virus?

I live amongst folk who attack nurses in public places, for being spreaders. Who isolate the family down the street for being infected and hiding it. And these are their peers. I am not one of their peers. I'm sure there are some out there who believe in black magic. There are shingles about, advertising curanderos. Best to stay hidden.
And, of course, to top it off, I am under doctors orders to do nothing more strenuous than walking around for the coming six weeks. I might not remember how to ride

Velo Vol 04-17-20 08:25 PM

I was just randomly poking around Strava in South Knoxville and found a route I've never done. Interesting.

Velo Vol 04-17-20 08:30 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21424452)
I live amongst folk who attack nurses in public places, for being spreaders. Who isolate the family down the street for being infected and hiding it. And these are their peers. I am not one of their peers. I'm sure there are some out there who believe in black magic. There are shingles about, advertising curanderos. Best to stay hidden.

Sounds like a good place to raise a family, or find a witch doctor.

LAJ 04-17-20 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21424458)
I was just randomly poking around Strava in South Knoxville and found a route I've never done. Interesting.

This is the kit you're looking for.

TWENTY20 Professional Cycling

seedsbelize 04-17-20 08:36 PM


Originally Posted by Jadesfire (Post 21424239)
British, with some NSFW (if that matters at the moment), but sadly very appropriate on this side of the pond, too. The last paragraph is definitely food for thought.
https://theovertake.com/~beta/franki...an-apocalypse/

Thanks for that.

seedsbelize 04-17-20 08:38 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21424392)
I never learn. This morning I got into it with a friend's sister on Facebook ( I guess she's a friend, too) after we discussed politics. I just got out of the dog house for the last indiscretion.
The next gathering is going to be awkward to say the least.

I hope to go riding tomorrow and not think about it.

Back in my early fb days, I insulted my nephew's wife, on a religious issue. 10 years later we still don't speak, beyond pleasantries.

seedsbelize 04-17-20 08:41 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21424467)
Sounds like a good place to raise a family, or find a witch doctor.

Good place to find a witch doctor, for sure, Belize and Guatemala are better though.

seedsbelize 04-17-20 08:44 PM


Velo Vol 04-17-20 08:52 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21424470)
This is the kit you're looking for.

TWENTY20 Professional Cycling

Ah. 961 followers.

Sadly she can most likely drop me. :o


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d0d5dab361.jpg

LAJ 04-17-20 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21424489)
Ah. 961 followers.

Sadly she can most likely drop me. :o


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d0d5dab361.jpg

You're not alone. I would be shelled in a heartbeat too.

big john 04-17-20 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21424496)
You're not alone. I would be shelled in a heartbeat too.

I got used to that a long time ago.

Pirkaus 04-18-20 04:21 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21424392)
I never learn. This morning I got into it with a friend's sister on Facebook ( I guess she's a friend, too) after we discussed politics. I just got out of the dog house for the last indiscretion.
The next gathering is going to be awkward to say the least.

I hope to go riding tomorrow and not think about it.


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21424476)
Back in my early fb days, I insulted my nephew's wife, on a religious issue. 10 years later we still don't speak, beyond pleasantries.

I don't do Fake Book for this very reason. My wife is constantly saying she has to bite her tongue, I have not the same self control. Some of my friends and I have the no religion and politics rule, and get along just fine. If one breaks the rule the other reminds them, and it defuses things before the heat starts.

indyfabz 04-18-20 04:55 AM

New Showers Pass 2.1 jacket arrived yesterday. Stephen is not impressed.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...517e92c06.jpeg

datlas 04-18-20 04:56 AM

Datlas does not do FB. I actually had an account very briefly back in the early days when they first allowed people with a non-.edu email to sign up. Logged on maybe 3 times.

BF is plenty social media enough for me.

datlas 04-18-20 04:56 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21424757)
New Showers Pass 2.1 jacket arrived yesterday. Stephen is not impressed.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...517e92c06.jpeg

You picked a good morning to go out and try it. Glad your little guy is feeling better!

seedsbelize 04-18-20 05:05 AM

Slow morning. Must be Saturday


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.