Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

Velo Vol 05-03-22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22493340)
Did you see what your Series I bonds did yesterday?

I knew 9%+ was coming--that's one of the reasons I talked about them.

I'm kind of ticked off, though. I bought half of the limit a couple weeks ago, then decided to get the rest on Friday. So I'd have 6 months at 7% and 6 months at 9%.

Except Friday morning's buy didn't go through until today. :crash:

I'm pretty sure the next reset is going to be lower than the 7% I would have gotten if it had cleared in April.

LAJ 05-03-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Miles2go (Post 22493406)
I ran those for a very short time and sold them. They flatted pretty easy compared to the Michelin Power tires I preferred at the time, and they also lost grip quicker too.

Good to know. Thanks! I ran and am still trying to burn through the last of my old Rubino Pro's, and have had great luck with them. I assumed these would be close to them, perhaps incorrectly.

ls01 05-03-22 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22493593)
I actually like the 52x11 on some descents where I'm not screaming down at high cadence. I can turn the pedals over slowly between turns, rather than spinning like an eggbeater, which just feels more stable. AND the 11-32 doesn't have the 11-13 gap that the 11-34 does. I went ahead and ordered the 53/39, since I realized what I wanted was the same kind of gearing it has now, but with enough lower that I could do any of the climbs I do on the Canyon.

Same thinking as I'm leaning towards. After riding the 10 speed bike with the 26-11 53 up front. I realized starting off was the only week spot and that was just for a second, on flat ground. I don't spend too much time 53 x 11 so the lower gears have paid off for me.

Mojo31 05-03-22 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22493623)
Work had been good yesterday. Today is back to awful.

My daughter put in an offer on a 1400' house (south of 290, east of Mopac) yesterday with a list price of about $500k. The accepted offer was over $600k. SMFH

Mojo31 05-03-22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22493678)
I knew 9%+ was coming--that's one of the reasons I talked about them.

I'm kind of ticked off, though. I bought half of the limit a couple weeks ago, then decided to get the rest on Friday. So I'd have 6 months at 7% and 6 months at 9%.

Except Friday morning's buy didn't go through until today. :crash:

I'm pretty sure the next reset is going to be lower than the 7% I would have gotten if it had cleared in April.

Going to buy the limit for both me and the spouse today. Also thinking about doing the same in a couple of entities. It's all money sitting in cash accounts earning basically -0- anyway.

Miles2go 05-03-22 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22493684)
Good to know. Thanks! I ran and am still trying to burn through the last of my old Rubino Pro's, and have had great luck with them. I assumed these would be close to them, perhaps incorrectly.

I lived in CO for many years and between there and UT for more than 20, and I'd guess your riding could be kinder on tires than the situation here in Tucson. Tubeless is the way to go here, and more and more of my friends are migrating to them. 9 times of 10, if we're stopping for a tire issue, it's for someone running standard clinchers and tubes. When that was my routine, I had the best luck with the aforementioned Michelins. Don't know anyone here running tubeless Rubinos, yet.

LesterOfPuppets 05-03-22 12:25 PM

Who used to rock the Sleestack avatar here? Cuz I found their hat:

https://www.angryminnowvintage.com/p...eyTHyrqtpNAPFw

Velo Vol 05-03-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22493698)
Going to buy the limit for both me and the spouse today. Also thinking about doing the same in a couple of entities. It's all money sitting in cash accounts earning basically -0- anyway.

Should have bought last week, as I tried to do. I'm pretty sure inflation will be cooler in six months that it was last month.

You can buy more than the limit, as a gift. Like buying for your wife. However, you can't give it in the year the giftee has already maxed out--you'd have to wait until the next year.

LAJ 05-03-22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Miles2go (Post 22493705)
I lived in CO for many years and between there and UT for more than 20, and I'd guess your riding could be kinder on tires than the situation here in Tucson. Tubeless is the way to go here, and more and more of my friends are migrating to them. 9 times of 10, if we're stopping for a tire issue, it's for someone running standard clinchers and tubes. When that was my routine, I had the best luck with the aforementioned Michelins. Don't know anyone here running tubeless Rubinos, yet.

Understand. Bike trails are crap in regard to goatheads. Regular roads are far cleaner, for the most part.

LAJ 05-03-22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22493719)
Who used to rock the Sleestack avatar here? Cuz I found their hat:

https://www.angryminnowvintage.com/p...eyTHyrqtpNAPFw

RUOkie

genejockey 05-03-22 12:49 PM

OFFS!
Wordle 318 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LesterOfPuppets 05-03-22 12:55 PM

Another quattro
Wordle 318 4/6

⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟩🟨
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LesterOfPuppets 05-03-22 12:58 PM

PAOTD, Singer style.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...KA&oe=62770886

Mojo31 05-03-22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22493775)

How long do you think that diamond stitched leather lining the engine compartment lasts and looks like that?

Singer is a god.

datlas 05-03-22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22493693)
My daughter put in an offer on a 1400' house (south of 290, east of Mopac) yesterday with a list price of about $500k. The accepted offer was over $600k. SMFH

The market is like that here too. A woman I know told me she just bought a house. How did she get it? Offered 100k over (already market-inflated) asking price and waived home inspection.

#sellersmarket

Mojo31 05-03-22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22493843)
The market is like that here too. A woman I know told me she just bought a house. How did she get it? Offered 100k over (already market-inflated) asking price and waived home inspection.

#sellersmarket

I bought 2 of my 3 houses during distressed times in the real estate market (the other one we had built for us), and both times bought them for less than the builders spent building them. Both were bought brand new. I just can't wrap my hands around today's market in some areas.

#olddog

indyfabz 05-03-22 02:21 PM

There’s a good sized black bear in the woods in the county just south of Philly. Not far from the population. The Gaming Commission has put out a trap baited with…wait for it…jelly donuts.

LAJ 05-03-22 02:21 PM

We spent as much on each of our Taco's as we did for the house we live in. Nice lot, small home, a spot for my bikes and Mrs. LAJ's gardening prowess. Not having to accommodate kids has its advantages. Life is OK.

#thrifty

LAJ 05-03-22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22493877)
There’s a good sized black bear in the woods in the county just south of Philly. Not far from the population. The Gaming Commission has put out a trap baited with…wait for it…jelly donuts.

Holy crap. I hope the local cops can see what's going on before they reach for one.

WhyFi 05-03-22 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22493877)

Hey, Boo-Boo!

WhyFi 05-03-22 02:29 PM

#sellersmarket

Cousins went through similar. Inspectors have gotten wise and some are now offering short-notice walk-throughs, to meet prospective buyers at showings in the hopes of at least catching the big stuff before they waive inspection.

datlas 05-03-22 02:37 PM

Question for the older crowd:

When I was a kid, I recall seeing pressurized gas tanks periodically at the base of phone/utility poles. I believe they used nitrogen gas to keep water/moisture out of the lines, or so I was told. They looked like the same canisters you would see at the fair for helium balloons, maybe 4-5 feet tall.

I can’t remember the last time I saw one, though, so something with the tech must have changed to make these obsolete.

Anyone know??

genejockey 05-03-22 02:56 PM

#sellersmarket

Great time to sell a house anywhere is a bad time to buy a house anywhere.

datlas 05-03-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22493930)
Great time to sell a house anywhere is a bad time to buy a house anywhere.

I told mrs datlas we should sell our place and rent for a few years, then buy our next place after the market is more rational. She put me in my place, so we are staying put for now.

genejockey 05-03-22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22493968)
I told mrs datlas we should sell our place and rent for a few years, then buy our next place after the market is more rational. She put me in my place, so we are staying put for now.

I've lived here 40 years, and in all that time the housing prices only declined, very slightly, once. Other than that, they've only ever gone up. And up.