Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

bampilot06 06-27-22 01:59 AM

https://www.framedbikes.com/products...39690952442052

This seems to good to be true. Granted I have never heard of this company, but am I missing something?

seedsbelize2 06-27-22 04:21 AM

Wordle 3/6

seedsbelize2 06-27-22 04:27 AM

Working my way through a half kilo of Italian roast I bought to try. Not a fan. I will likely go back to robusta eventually

phrantic09 06-27-22 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22555064)

This seems to good to be true. Granted I have never heard of this company, but am I missing something?

Ive heard of them, I know someone who got a fat bike from them. No issues.

I wouldn’t want an apex 1x, but that’s just me.

datlas 06-27-22 05:46 AM

My friend who works for a cycling computer company got a call from the bosses that he needs to be in Copenhagen this week to make sure all the devices are set up and working properly for a certain pro team riding kinda of a big deal race that starts there soon.

datlas 06-27-22 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22555003)

Dude. That belongs on a mountain bike, I am thinking.

datlas 06-27-22 05:57 AM

Cycling related question: Recall I set up my Ultegra R8000 groupset a few months ago and have been quite pleased. I was even bragging that I did not need a chain catcher because it "never" drops a chain.

Now, with a few months a a couple thousand miles on the groupset, the evil eye must have gotten to me because the past two rides I have dropped the chain, a total of only 3 drops but each one is a nuisance. It's dropping when going from big to little chainring, sometimes it drops outright, sometimes the crankset seems to "lock" due to chain wraparound (if that's the right term) as part of the process.

Any suggestions on whether its a tweak adjustment in the chain tension? I know I set up the limit screws etc. perfectly so I had thought that was a once-in-a-lifetime setup but I am unsure what to do to fix this.

Ideas??

big john 06-27-22 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22555126)
Cycling related question: Recall I set up my Ultegra R8000 groupset a few months ago and have been quite pleased. I was even bragging that I did not need a chain catcher because it "never" drops a chain.

Now, with a few months a a couple thousand miles on the groupset, the evil eye must have gotten to me because the past two rides I have dropped the chain, a total of only 3 drops but each one is a nuisance. It's dropping when going from big to little chainring, sometimes it drops outright, sometimes the crankset seems to "lock" due to chain wraparound (if that's the right term) as part of the process.

Any suggestions on whether its a tweak adjustment in the chain tension? I know I set up the limit screws etc. perfectly so I had thought that was a once-in-a-lifetime setup but I am unsure what to do to fix this.

Ideas??

The "lock" thing is called chainsuck. The ring picks up the chain from the bottom and pulls it up to the frame. I always thought worn rings contributed to this, but yours is all new? When I have had the chain get pulled up like that it sometimes tweaks the derailleur or bends the chain.

On my Ultegra bike the shifting goes bad after this happens if the front derailleur gets moved or bent. The other bike has Chorus and everything tends to come loose on that bike, including the derailleur clamp and even the stop screws. It's been working ok for a while but that thing has been plagued with dropping the chain more than any bike I've had. I shortened the chain a few months ago after discovering the shop that put it on (when I bought the crankset) left it too long.

I also went over the adjustments again and I snug the derailleur clamp often. Just go through it. Check the derailleur position and stop screws again and good luck.

big john 06-27-22 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22555064)

I think it's a good deal, but not too good to be true. Likely will need upgrades, starting with the brakes.

Mojo31 06-27-22 08:02 AM

Next great thing - aero cover for your OSPW!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b48c0febb.jpg

Costs slightly less than a bike.

datlas 06-27-22 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22555202)

Is that UCI legal??

datlas 06-27-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22555187)
The "lock" thing is called chainsuck. The ring picks up the chain from the bottom and pulls it up to the frame. I always thought worn rings contributed to this, but yours is all new? When I have had the chain get pulled up like that it sometimes tweaks the derailleur or bends the chain.

On my Ultegra bike the shifting goes bad after this happens if the front derailleur gets moved or bent. The other bike has Chorus and everything tends to come loose on that bike, including the derailleur clamp and even the stop screws. It's been working ok for a while but that thing has been plagued with dropping the chain more than any bike I've had. I shortened the chain a few months ago after discovering the shop that put it on (when I bought the crankset) left it too long.

I also went over the adjustments again and I snug the derailleur clamp often. Just go through it. Check the derailleur position and stop screws again and good luck.

Thanks, will do. Everything was brand new when it went on 4 months ago. And it worked PERFECTLY until the past week. Something must have been tweaked but unclear if it's FD adjustment or chain kink or chainring injury. Will investigate.

Mojo31 06-27-22 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22555215)
Thanks, will do. Everything was brand new when it went on 4 months ago. And it worked PERFECTLY until the past week. Something must have been tweaked but unclear if it's FD adjustment or chain kink or chainring injury. Will investigate.

I have the same gen RD but in 105 form, and from what I understand they are essentially identical in the way they set up and are adjusted. I'm always having to tweak mine to hit the sweet spot. It never seems to be "set and forget."

seedsbelize2 06-27-22 08:31 AM

I have experienced chain suck once in my cycling career. Henceforth, and for the past 14 years, there will be precious little shifting. Likely not an issue going forward.
Good luck sorting it out

datlas 06-27-22 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22555225)
I have the same gen RD but in 105 form, and from what I understand they are essentially identical in the way they set up and are adjusted. I'm always having to tweak mine to hit the sweet spot. It never seems to be "set and forget."

Follow-up question - is it the inner limit screw or chain tension that seems to be the bad actor? Asking for a friend.

big john 06-27-22 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22555257)
Follow-up question - is it the inner limit screw or chain tension that seems to be the bad actor? Asking for a friend.

The limit screws move a bit on my Chorus. Also, I found a video on youtube with good instructions on setting the tension and chain length. It's a video from Campagnolo.

big john 06-27-22 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22555252)
I have experienced chain suck once in my cycling career. Henceforth, and for the past 14 years, there will be precious little shifting. Likely not an issue going forward.
Good luck sorting it out

I used to do long mountain bike rides with multiple water crossing and sandy ground. Chainsuck happens often on these rides and I resorted to smearing sunscreen and even Chapstick on the chain. Started carrying chainlube for anyone who needed it. This was with triple ring cranksets.
Also, on a muddy ride the chainsuck is terrible.

To me, this is the big advantage of a 1x set up. No chainsuck in wet conditions.

bampilot06 06-27-22 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22555202)

This will make me so fast.

bampilot06 06-27-22 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22555099)
Ive heard of them, I know someone who got a fat bike from them. No issues.

I wouldn’t want an apex 1x, but that’s just me.

If I could get a Ti bike for this price, I would update the group set later.

Brakes look mechanical.

Mojo31 06-27-22 09:28 AM

I don't know as I have not had the problem you are describing. I would make sure the inner limit screw is adjusted as precisely as possible.

My big frustration is the FD rubbing on the chain despite the trim positions. That said, I avoid big/big and small/small. I'm always having to make little adjustments to keep it where I like it with respect to the most frequently used sections of the cassette.

Mojo31 06-27-22 09:31 AM

Is your FD brazed on or clamped on?

And, did you adjust the adjust the little positioning screw so it touches your frame (or supplied plate) and prevents the FD from twisting?

Eric F 06-27-22 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22555087)
Wordle 3/6

Same

Mojo31 06-27-22 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22555295)
This will make me so fast.

If you don't break it first!

You should get one and report back.

big john 06-27-22 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22555304)
If I could get a Ti bike for this price, I would update the group set later.

Brakes look mechanical.

It's likely some cheap Chinese titanium. I think it only has a one year warranty.
Brakes are mechanical with 140mm rotors.

Here's one for $700.
700C road bike frame high light titanium frame road bike (alibaba.com)

Trsnrtr 06-27-22 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22555212)
Is that UCI legal??

Yes, it has been approved.

Eric F 06-27-22 09:47 AM

Saturday was the first ride on my new (to me) dirt rig. There are some maintenance issues to sort out, and some changes to be made, but this thing is light, fast, and fun.
https://i.imgur.com/G71TMxl.jpg

Eric F 06-27-22 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22554848)
Someone made a video of your old MTB grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEyAs3NWH4A

Fun Fact: A friend of mine (our daughters played softball together for a few years) is one of the lead engineers of the team that built both Mars Rovers. On the first one, my friend got a seat on the C130 that flew the Rover from CA to FL. On the second, he let one of the younger engineers have that honor.

bampilot06 06-27-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22555341)
If you don't break it first!

You should get one and report back.

I am thinking about it.

Velo Vol 06-27-22 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22555376)
Fun Fact: A friend of mine (our daughters played softball together for a few years) is one of the lead engineers of the team that built both Mars Rovers. On the first one, my friend go a seat on the C130 that flew the Rover from CA to FL. On the second, he let one of the younger engineers have that honor.

No margin of error on those babies.

Mojo31 06-27-22 10:18 AM

I learned yesterday that a friend of mine's teen age daughter is doing a coast-to-coast ride this summer. While the group will take about 6 weeks to do it, I hope she makes it! I don't think I would have ever set out to do something like that.

Fundraiser by Maya Samuels : Cycling Coast to Coast (gofundme.com)

(This is not a request for donations. Just sharing something that I think is pretty cool.)