Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I'm sick of looking... help me identify Trek 810. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1080044)

corrado33 09-11-16 03:30 PM

I'm sick of looking... help me identify Trek 810.

I have a Trek 810 "Single Track" here. Looks just like the bike in the picture below (but a bit bigger.) I didn't feel like taking a pic myself.

http://img.class.posot.es/en_gb/2015...0417083524.jpg

Serial numbers?: On one side of plastic guide on BB. B1-0415. On the other side. C29C6974. That bolded C may be a G but the bottom half of the letter is missing, so I'll never know. As far as I know, it doesn't follow the 80s or 90s trek serial number schemes.

The 810 is seemingly absent from the catalogs. I looked through all of the 90s (where it looks like the bike is from.) and nothing. 800? Sure... 820? Sometimes! 830? Sometimes! But never the 810. So I widened my search and looked at 2001 and 2005 and 1985. Still no 810. The trek serial number decodings online didn't help.

Anyway, it looks relatively low end, but I'd like to know the year anyway.
Rear derailleur is a shimano acera
Front derailleur is a shimano SIS, no other markings.
Fork is an Excel Sync "515"
7 speed Sunrace freewheel
No name v brakes front and back.
Grip shift MRX shifters

My guess is it was a late 90s early 00s bike for $200 to $300 originally. Nothing special.

Any help?

EDIT: Usually I'd post a "Help me identify" in C & V but I'm pretty sure this isn't classic...

Maelochs 09-11-16 03:39 PM

Trek 1999 810 Hardtail Bike Reviews - Mtbr.com

There's this thing, google .....

I wonder if it was only offered overseas? Have you contacted Trek?

Al right ... I give up ... I have scanned about a dozen Trek catalogs from mid-'90s to 2008 ... you bike doesn't exist. You are a troll or you are riding an imaginary bike.

Call Trek

I think I saw that exact bike ... same one pictured ... is that where you got the specs as well?

rekmeyata 09-11-16 04:26 PM

It must have been sold overseas because the site that was given above talks about being sold in the UK due to the price was listed in pounds, and then later on some guy paid $500 in Mexico for one, but a few did find their way into the US.

The bike was a low end, what Trek called their entry level mountain bike, and probably not worth more than $100 used if in mint condition...though I am guessing on the price but that seems to be about the going rate for low end mtb's.

corrado33 09-11-16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 19048425)
Trek 1999 810 Hardtail Bike Reviews - Mtbr.com

There's this thing, google .....

I wonder if it was only offered overseas? Have you contacted Trek?

Al right ... I give up ... I have scanned about a dozen Trek catalogs from mid-'90s to 2008 ... you bike doesn't exist. You are a troll or you are riding an imaginary bike.

Call Trek

I think I saw that exact bike ... same one pictured ... is that where you got the specs as well?

I assure you sir, I am neither a troll nor am I riding an imaginary bike. I'll take a picture on Tuesday. And yes, I did find a few sites with google, but none of them gave me the information I wanted.

Maelochs 09-11-16 08:18 PM

I should have put a winkie-face ... people can never tell when I am joking. But I meant the imaginary bike part.

Anyway ... call Trek. Like yourself (probably) and Rekmayata, I saw only overseas listings. Don't think it was a normal U.S. offering.

Are you planing to sell it and need a price, or are you planning to restore it to all its low-rent glory?

StarBiker 09-11-16 11:18 PM

I saw a green one at the dump the other day. They put the bikes off to the side for the Salvation Army.

corrado33 09-12-16 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 19049009)
I should have put a winkie-face ... people can never tell when I am joking. But I meant the imaginary bike part.

Anyway ... call Trek. Like yourself (probably) and Rekmayata, I saw only overseas listings. Don't think it was a normal U.S. offering.

Are you planning to sell it and need a price, or are you planning to restore it to all its low-rent glory?

Sorry, I should have also put a winky face. haha

This bike was given to the COOP, I fixed it up for them. I just like to know what the bikes are when I put a price on them simply for my own curiosity. Honestly we'll probably sell this one for ~$100, maybe $120 considering the fork still "works" and that's a big deal to some people.

DrkAngel321 07-30-21 08:39 AM

I know this is late...

Just stumbled onto this forum...I had this bike and purchased in USA. It was a wonderful bike...purchased it sometime between 1987-1989 I think. It was stolen in 1993 I think. Wish I could find one now😔

veganbikes 07-30-21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by DrkAngel321 (Post 22164027)
Just stumbled onto this forum...I had this bike and purchased in USA. It was a wonderful bike...purchased it sometime between 1987-1989 I think. It was stolen in 1993 I think. Wish I could find one now😔

You just stumbled into the forum from a thread from 2016 in 2021? That is some creative stumbling. Good story I guess plenty of low cost bikes like that all over not hard to find.