Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Transporting a bicycle by bicycle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1103265)

Daniel4 04-03-17 08:56 AM

Transporting a bicycle by bicycle?

What's the best way to transport a bicycle by bicycle? I took my wife's bicycle to the bike shop for some work. When I did it, I carried it on a bike rack and drove it. I really don't want to drive just to pick up a bicycle. This place is really accessible by bike where I go to often.

Has anyone ever fastened the bikes together so that as you ride one the other one trails behind? I'm thinking of somehow tying the handlebar of the trailer bike to the rear rack of the main bike.

10 Wheels 04-03-17 09:03 AM

He has one on the back

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h.../WholeBike.jpg

Daniel4 04-03-17 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 19485857)
He has one on the back

Good one. I'd like to see the details.

CliffordK 04-03-17 10:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use my bike trailer a lot It is convenient.

However, I did make this towbar, designed to mount on a vintage Blackburn rack. Sorry, no photos of coupled bikes, you'll have to use your imagination.

Attachment 558135
Attachment 558136

Basis is one of these:
Used Delta Lockable Fork Mount Pickup Bed Truck Bike Bicycle Hitch Rack | eBay
Sunlite Bike Block Heavy-Duty QR Alloy Fork Mount Holder Pickup Truck Bed Rack | eBay

It towed ok. A little awkward. I carried the front wheel on my pack which was a bit awkward. I may try to figure out how to tie it to the frame. A lower mount might be nice, but it would need a special rack for that.

But, sometime I'll build a roof rack style rack to go into a bike trailer.

Arrowana 04-03-17 11:42 AM

My most common method is to ghost ride the second bike. Ride one bike, and hold onto the stem of the other. Takes a little bit to get used to it, but it requires no extra equipment, and you don't have to disassemble the bike at all.

Today I'm going to work to build up a bike, and I think I will try carrying one home on my back.

I've also carried up to 2 1/2 bikes in a pull behind kid trailer.

gerv 04-04-17 08:33 PM

I once moved a bike with a bike trailer. It wasn't much fun, but you could make it work. I have also moved wheelsets and various parts, forks. I haven't moved a full frame on a bike though and even the wheelset barely fit on the rear rack.

One trick that does work is to move the bike on the city's buses front rack. Works pretty good if it is a complete bike.

Another time I bought a frame and fork and brought it aboard the bus. Driver never complained..

CliffordK 04-04-17 09:18 PM

I've had a Tandem on my trailer one trip. Another trip I picked up a cargo bike, also loaded onto my trailer.

Well, the big trailer, that is.

I'll probably do some redevelopment on my towing (lowering attachment point), but that will also imply that the bike will have to at least have a functional rear wheel.

jorgestelluto 04-15-17 10:47 AM

Do as Chris Horner did in a bike race. Transport yourself and the "bike holder" on your bike.

Google "Chris Horner gives fallen rider"

dabac 04-15-17 11:29 AM

I've strapped the wheels (vertically), one on each side to the rear rack, then strapped the frame incl fork also pointing upright to a 45 L backpack.
Worked OK once I stopped the bars from swivelling, and rearranged the contents of the pack to get the frame further from my head.
Carried like that for 16 miles.
If I were to make a habit out of it I'd probably make some sort of tow bar.
A fairly simple option would be to make some oversized fender struts (and something to secure them vertically) and use them to anchor a q/r hub basically where a fender mounted rear light would be. The front wheel of the towed bike could be tied to the frame of the towed bike.

JReade 04-18-17 11:51 AM

I remember seeing a picture from days gone by, people used to ride TO the race, so they had race wheels and the regular wheels. They would attach the wheels to the ends of the handlebars and to the tips of the front fork dropouts. The rest of the bike..well, you're on your own there!

FBinNY 04-20-17 11:25 PM

BITD when I first started getting serious about cycling, I was involved with an organization that ran summer bike trips. Back then we were based in 8th Street in Manhattan, and many trips left the city by trains out of Penn or Grand Central Stations.

We ferried bikes up there riding our own, and pulling the other by holding the stem so we could steer. It took a bit of practice to learn, but it really wasn't difficult, even in NYC's congested stop and go traffic.

This trips were only a few miles, so I don't know how it would play out on a longer ride. However, if there are no hard hills, you might borrow a bike and practice in an empty parking lot, and see it it can work for you.

BTW - the method is still used by many of NYC's more skilled bike thieves.

wilfried 05-19-17 12:08 PM

I was mighty impressed by a guy on a bike, with another bike strapped to his backpack, full size, wheels on, riding in a bike lane in Midtown Manhattan. His backpack had some kind of velcro attachment which he wrapped around the top tube and had the whole thing balanced somehow. It might have been annoying, since it was near impossible to pass, but I encountered him at an intersection, so I got around. I gave him thumbs up. I wish I had a picture, but my phone camera is busted.

Streichy 05-23-17 08:14 PM

Just hold it to your side or on your shoulder with a foam noodle as a pad.

higehiru 05-23-17 09:43 PM

If it is not too far then you can ghost ride it, but maybe try it out around the block before you get on the road. It can be tricky

JoeyBike 05-30-17 02:22 PM

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...18&oe=59E61BF5

Bikes-At-Work trailer. I can haul 5 bikes no problem.

StarBiker 05-30-17 02:24 PM

Pain. I did this ten days ago. And the big problem was there were two bikes I wanted, but could only take one since I had my bike with me. Somebody got a lower grade Bianchi for a song. And I got a Trek 660.

Mauriceloridans 06-07-17 10:15 AM

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...54&oe=599E6AEF

CliffordK 06-07-17 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 19620445)
Pain. I did this ten days ago. And the big problem was there were two bikes I wanted, but could only take one since I had my bike with me. Somebody got a lower grade Bianchi for a song. And I got a Trek 660.

I can stuff one bike into my bike trailer pretty easily, and think I could probably do two without problems.

I have been thinking about building a rooftop syle rack into a bike trailer, probably with a secure/safe 2-bike capacity.

StarBiker 06-09-17 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 19637603)
I can stuff one bike into my bike trailer pretty easily, and think I could probably do two without problems.

I have been thinking about building a rooftop syle rack into a bike trailer, probably with a secure/safe 2-bike capacity.

The problem with this is I live in an area where this would not be possible. To much traffic, and I certainly couldn't do it on the sidewalk.
The other problem is I am a junk digger. I have no idea if I am going to find a bike or not. I use to find them a mile from my house. Now that dig spot thinks they are the LBS. And crazy people pay waaaaay to much. So my best chances are further out. I might find two bikes worth the effort in a year. And I only go so far because I am on a bike.
Cars cost $$$$'s.
What the hell I need to do is put my buddies # (Phones cost money as well, where the hell does everybody get all this money?) in my wallet so I can call him. He has a work truck, and could have came and got me.

CliffordK 06-10-17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 19643406)
The problem with this is I live in an area where this would not be possible. To much traffic, and I certainly couldn't do it on the sidewalk.
The other problem is I am a junk digger. I have no idea if I am going to find a bike or not. I use to find them a mile from my house. Now that dig spot thinks they are the LBS. And crazy people pay waaaaay to much. So my best chances are further out. I might find two bikes worth the effort in a year. And I only go so far because I am on a bike.
Cars cost $$$$'s.
What the hell I need to do is put my buddies # (Phones cost money as well, where the hell does everybody get all this money?) in my wallet so I can call him. He has a work truck, and could have came and got me.

My range by bike is pretty far.

If the bikes you're acquiring have a functioning rear wheel, then the tow bar above (post 4) is functional. I took it off because I wasn't using it much, but I'm keeping it for future needs.

I can usually plan ahead for days I expect to be carrying cargo :) Not always perfect. Some days I wish I had the trailer, other days I tow it around empty.

StarBiker 06-11-17 08:29 PM

If you lived in the DC New York/95 Corridor you would get killed with that setup. A trailer would have to be tagged. Is that tagged?
I constantly have people cutting in front of me, and driving like maniacs. They will stop right in front of you to sit at a red light while you attempt to cross the street.
I could see that thing getting crushed with all of it's contents.
Nice idea though.

CliffordK 06-12-17 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 19647146)
If you lived in the DC New York/95 Corridor you would get killed with that setup. A trailer would have to be tagged. Is that tagged?

Vehicle license and registration?

In Oregon, trailers with a loaded weight of < 1800 pounds are exempt from registration.

I've got a couple of hills to get home, and max out at towing around 500 pounds. Anyway, anything classified as bicycles are pretty much unregulated around here at the moment (helmets on kids?)

There are some fairly large bicycle cargo trailers that get by without regulation.

52telecaster 06-22-17 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my method. its an ikea trailer with guides for the wheels and 4 old pedal straps.

52telecaster 06-23-17 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another view

wilfried 07-03-17 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 19647146)
I constantly have people cutting in front of me, and driving like maniacs. They will stop right in front of you to sit at a red light while you attempt to cross the street.
I could see that thing getting crushed with all of it's contents.
Nice idea though.

They use these to transport bike share bikes around Manhattan, so there's no legal issue, and they manage in NYC traffic. I see them around all the time.

StarBiker 07-03-17 02:22 PM

Not in Northern Baltimore County. Good luck. Oh ride that down York Road. Better yet take it down Charles Street. Falls Road would be fun. Lots of Cyclists taking their lives in their hands. You might be able to through Roland Park, but if you can afford to live in Roland park I doubt you are using a bike carrier.
And Baltimore has a bike share.
They look like some bike share bikes that somebody is taking to have serviced?
Not some bikes some digger found.

I-Like-To-Bike 07-04-17 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 19693972)
Not some bikes some digger found.

Is a "digger" another term for a dumpster diver or trash picker?

StarBiker 07-05-17 02:47 PM

Probably in Iowa.

I can actually find stuff in Thrift stores.

I-Like-To-Bike 07-06-17 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 19698181)
Probably in Iowa.

I can actually find stuff in Thrift stores.

Does that mean that in the StarBiker dictionary a "digger" is defined as someone who finds stuff at thrift stores?

Reading LCF on BF is enlightening for learning about unique use of words by imaginative thinkers.

StarBiker 07-06-17 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 19699503)
Does that mean that in the StarBiker dictionary a "digger" is defined as someone who finds stuff at thrift stores?

Reading LCF on BF is enlightening for learning about unique use of words by imaginative thinkers.

It means it's where I find stuff. You could very much pull stuff from the trash. My local dump will not allow scavenging.
Two local Thrifts are readily available.
You could call yourself whatever you like. Digger is an old term. Could mean many things.
I could call myself a connoisseur of interesting/somewhat valuable items I search for? A person with modest means, and high hopes? A follower of monetary trends based on used tangible objects?