Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Annual Spring Stiff Neck!!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1250626)

Lambkin55 04-24-22 01:05 PM

Annual Spring Stiff Neck!!!

Well, I got it again, the Annual Spring Still Neck. Every year, about this time, I start picking up my mileage on the bike and I get a stiff neck. It typically takes about 2-3 weeks and a bit of ibuprofen before I "ride out" of it.

Does anybody else experience an Annual Spring Stiff Neck?

Does anybody have a cure for the Annual Spring Stiff Neck?

ThermionicScott 04-24-22 01:28 PM

Exercise, of course! Go to the gym and do hyperextensions holding a plate behind your head.

philbob57 04-24-22 04:06 PM

This is the 1st year I've gotten it; I'm in my 78thyear on earth, at least this time through. In previous years, I got shoulder and neck pain when I increased mileage too much, too fast. It's a bummer, but if you search the 'net, you'll find a lot of suggestions that work.

tkamd73 04-24-22 04:12 PM

Yup, similar experience, goes away after the first few rides.
Tim

50PlusCycling 04-24-22 05:27 PM

Same here. But it goes away, and when my neck gets stronger I get fewer headaches from injuries I suffered in my younger and more adventurous years.

rsbob 04-24-22 09:49 PM

Perform an internet search on neck strengthening exercises and do them regularly.

I had been suffering from a sore scapula which felt like being stabbed by a knife, but found a set of exercises which slowly did the trick. For the first time in a year, I did 40 miles today with zero pain. I will keep up the exercises.

LarrySellerz 04-25-22 01:12 AM

Got my c5 vertebrae removed and c4-c6 fused with a titanium plate and bolts last August after I broke my neck so I feel your pain. What has worked for me is trying different bikes/fits until you find one that feels better. I had 2 road bikes that I couldn’t ride in the drops for more than 10 minutes before the pain got severe, but another drop bar bike that’s a bit too small for me lets me ride in the drops pain free.

maybe ride in a more upright position until your neck strengthens. Don’t ride through pain like a tough guy

Freerojo 04-25-22 08:28 AM

Are you riding with a mountain bike style helmet with a visor? If so, remove it (the visor, that is).

rydabent 04-25-22 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lambkin55 (Post 22482922)
Well, I got it again, the Annual Spring Still Neck. Every year, about this time, I start picking up my mileage on the bike and I get a stiff neck. It typically takes about 2-3 weeks and a bit of ibuprofen before I "ride out" of it.

Not since I started riding bents in 2005. No sore butt either.

bikecrate 04-25-22 09:00 AM

Sure, I've dealt with that.

I've also had the opposite problem when I used to get Botox shots in my neck and head for migraines. A few days later it felt like trying to hold a bowling ball (head) with a stick of wilted celery (neck).

Rdmonster69 04-25-22 09:37 AM

I have a stiff neck all 4 seasons.

KerryIrons 04-26-22 08:25 AM

The fact that it goes away in a few weeks exactly makes the point that you can work on strengthening your neck and improving flexibility through exercises. The Internet will provide you with a wide choice.

livedarklions 04-26-22 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by KerryIrons (Post 22485018)
The fact that it goes away in a few weeks exactly makes the point that you can work on strengthening your neck and improving flexibility through exercises. The Internet will provide you with a wide choice.

I think it also makes the point that the cycling itself is enough exercise to strengthen the neck and improve flexibility.

I had something similar occur to me for the first time this spring, and what I'm taking from this and your advice is that should probably do some sort of neck exercises during the off-season so I don't have the pain at the very start of the biking season.

beng1 04-26-22 08:03 PM

I rode a lot indoors over the winter using a road-bike with drop bars on a mag-trainer, and since it was training, I purposely used the drops and tried to simulate what I do on a bike in the riding season. What did you do in the off season?

icemilkcoffee 04-26-22 09:14 PM

The beauty of quill stem bikes- You can easily adjust the height of the handlebars. You can start with the bars level with the seat and gradually drop down as the season progresses.

PeteHski 04-27-22 03:51 AM

Some very basic yoga mobility exercises (espeically in the off-season) should help to prevent this from happening.

Chuckles1 04-27-22 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22486057)
Some very basic yoga mobility exercises (espeically in the off-season) should help to prevent this from happening.

Also, ease into cycling in the Spring. My butt hurts, my quads burn, among other pains on the first few rides every year. So I keep them relatively short and not too intense. Ease in and before you know it you're up to speed again.

gorillimo 04-27-22 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee (Post 22485920)
The beauty of quill stem bikes- You can easily adjust the height of the handlebars.

Don’t have a quill stem. But, getting those bars up there is the key. If you’re not racing, aero is not really relevant. Yes, you may be slower. Okay, but you’re riding. Life is good……

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a277471d.jpeg
Enjoy it for what it is. I have a three level neck fusion, will not let me bend with the neck. But, I’m happy to be riding at all. Having a good time!