Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Coffee: Stay alive AND feel more alive (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1252795)

MinnMan 06-01-22 07:29 PM

Coffee: Stay alive AND feel more alive

Sorry, it's behind the NYT Paywall, but here's the gist

Coffee Drinking Linked to Lower Risk of Dying, New Study Finds

The research found that those who drank moderate amounts of coffee, even with a little sugar, were up to 30 percent less likely to die during the study period than those who didn’t drink coffee.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/01/w...ying-risk.html

79pmooney 06-01-22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22527919)
Sorry, it's behind the NYT Paywall, but here's the gist

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/01/w...ying-risk.html

One of the longtime tools to keep the mortally wounded, hypothermic, etc. from dying is to keep them awake. So 10 years from now "We didn't lose anybody in our study. But it took an average of 2300 pounds of coffee beans per participant." Just funning. I'm going to have to read the article......

Iride01 06-02-22 07:56 AM

I saw that too, not sure if the article was from the NYT. Later in the day I started seeing other sites with headlines saying that putting sugar in your coffee makes you live longer. Funny how people twist studies to suit their own purposes. Didn't look at those sites, but wondering if many of their advertising revenue is from big sugar.

I'm still working on cup 1 of 3. I was late getting my coffee today and feel a little grouchy.... black and no sugar for me.

Maybe that's the key here, grouchy. Without coffee, some of those people in the other non-coffee groups where grouchy and doing things that shortened theirs or the lives of others!

GhostRider62 06-02-22 08:32 AM

I thought the Times was history, interesting.

Did they provide a conversion factor for espresso?

My dose is 2 doubles per morning.

MinnMan 06-02-22 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22528293)
I saw that too, not sure if the article was from the NYT. Later in the day I started seeing other sites with headlines saying that putting sugar in your coffee makes you live longer. Funny how people twist studies to suit their own purposes. Didn't look at those sites, but wondering if many of their advertising revenue is from big sugar.

As far as I can tell, the cohort included drinkers of black coffee or those who added modest amounts of sugar. The article says that the results do not necessarily apply to those who get their coffee from mocha-whipped-frappuccino concoctions, for which the deleterious effects of added sugars and other ingredients may (or may not) have effects. Also, the article definitely does not say that adding sugar is better - just that in moderate amounts, it doesn't obliterate the positive effect.

Personally, I can't understand why people would ruin the wonderful taste of coffee by adding sugar.

On my second double shot of Nespresso-made coffee of the morning. that's my daily dose.

prj71 06-02-22 08:48 AM

On average M-F I will drink a pot by myself every morning.

On weekend mornings, it's not uncommon I will drink 1-1/2 to 2 pots.

koala logs 06-02-22 08:54 AM

I used to love coffee but I quit coffee because if I miss coffee time, I get throbbing headaches for the rest of the day. I had to be drinking coffee constantly if only in small amounts. It may not be true for some of you but it's painfully true for me.

I had the same problem when I reduced coffee in the mixture. Until one day, I slowly tapered my coffee intake to quit for good. I have grown excessively dependent on it and had to stop. Like if I miss coffee, I get sleepy and weak. But long after quitting, I can keep my energy up working 20 hours at times even if I never drink coffee.

I think the caffeine and something else on the coffee is like a drug and causing withdrawal effect if you even just stop drinking coffee for a day.

I have absolutely no desire to live long but quitting coffee had nothing to do with it!

MinnMan 06-02-22 09:23 AM

Yeah, it's a bit weird. I have no withdrawal or rebound effects at all. If for whatever reason I suddenly go 3-4 days without coffee, I have no headaches or other obvious poor effects, apart from the fact that I may miss the enjoyment.
My daughter gets really bad headaches if she goes a couple of days without it.

There's definitely a tolerance effect though. Several periods in the past I have gone long intervals without coffee. And then, when I drank that first cup it felt like a shot of amphetamine. Wow!

Seattle Forrest 06-02-22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22527919)
Sorry, it's behind the NYT Paywall,

FYI
https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass...ster/README.md
This is a browser extension that tells sites you're google and you're there to make the site searchable. Most sites will not show the paywall with this.

Carbonfiberboy 06-02-22 11:11 AM

2c/day, 1 morning, 1 afternoon, 18g beans/cup. Not dead yet.

OldTryGuy 06-02-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 22528538)
2c/day, 1 morning, 1 afternoon, 18g beans/cup. Not dead yet.

r.e. bold

Fluid amount for a 4oz./cup or 6oz/cup or 8oz/cup SIZING ???

Polaris OBark 06-02-22 02:17 PM

They probably had a control group of N=3. One croaked.

billridesbikes 06-02-22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22528801)
They probably had a control group of N=3. One croaked.

N=171 616 Ave age: 55.6

over the course of 7 years 3177 deaths from that group.
Lowest mortality rate was 2.5-3.5 cups with no sugar, all other groups where higher.
Once you get to >4.5 cups the mortality went back up, but if you’re drinking that much coffee maybe you have other stuff going on in your life.

Also, since this is a UK study I think they mean UK cups which are about 6 US oz instead of US cups that are 8oz. US and UK ounces are also not quite the same. If only folks would use the metric system… but that is a rant for another time.

Polaris OBark 06-02-22 03:14 PM

Many people in the UK (including my wife) drink instant coffee. The other stuff is like 5 nm.

FWIW, their 20 oz pint is definitely bigger than our 16 oz pint. But those are beer units of measurement.

Polaris OBark 06-02-22 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 22528498)
FYI
https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass...ster/README.md
This is a browser extension that tells sites you're google and you're there to make the site searchable. Most sites will not show the paywall with this.

Load that into Brave, and you can read it without paywall or ads.

Carbonfiberboy 06-02-22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 22528777)
r.e. bold

Fluid amount for a 4oz./cup or 6oz/cup or 8oz/cup SIZING ???

Aeropress for a 12 oz. mug. Brew time only 1:45'. Yummy. Peruvian organic free trade shade grown, like totally politically correct - maybe. I grind em for each cup.

OldTryGuy 06-02-22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 22528877)
Aeropress for a 12 oz. mug. Brew time only 1:45'. Yummy. Peruvian organic free trade shade grown, like totally politically correct - maybe. I grind em for each cup.

Find on Amazon ?? 12oz bag or 1lb $ = ?

GhostRider62 06-02-22 04:18 PM

I buy beans from Macaw Coffee Roaster off ebay. Roasted to order, good quality, fast ship, and very reasonably priced. I did a taste test against a number of boutiques and the best italian espresso beans. For me and my wallet, they are a keeper.

ThermionicScott 06-02-22 04:28 PM

Maybe people with a stronger will to live tend to drink coffee and all the other stuff is woo-woo.

MinnMan 06-02-22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22528871)
Many people in the UK (including my wife) drink instant coffee. .

The horror.

Polaris OBark 06-02-22 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22529050)
The horror.

It is all I drink as well. (Their nanomolar coffee is far worse.) I managed to get through 6 years of grad school without losing my coffee virginity.

MinnMan 06-02-22 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22529089)
It is all I drink as well. (Their nanomolar coffee is far worse.) I managed to get through 6 years of grad school without losing my coffee virginity.

I know what a nanomole is, and I surely know what coffee is, but no clue as to what nanomolar coffee might be. It doesn't seem like I should be eager to learn.

ThermionicScott 06-02-22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22529143)
I know what a nanomole is, and I surely know what coffee is, but no clue as to what nanomolar coffee might be. It doesn't seem like I should be eager to learn.

I think Ant-Man drinks it.

Polaris OBark 06-02-22 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22529143)

nanomole/liter = nanomolar = really weak and dilute

("molar" means moles/liter, a unit of concentration, not dentition, which brings up another British topic ...)

MinnMan 06-03-22 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22529225)
nanomole/liter = nanomolar = really weak and dilute

("molar" means moles/liter, a unit of concentration, not dentition, which brings up another British topic ...)

The way kids use slang today, I can't keep track.