Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tire Pressure (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253070)

rclouviere 06-06-22 09:45 PM

Tire Pressure

I know there are a lot of opinions on tire pressure, but I’d like to get some opinions. I want to be as fast as possible on my road bike (conti tubeless) and my TT bike (conti clincher). I’velooked at the silcachart and it seems to be pretty accurate?

cxwrench 06-06-22 09:50 PM

You're kidding, right? This is the most beat down dead horse of a topic that has been discussed hundreds of times but you're going to crack into it yet again...but not provide any info about your or your equipment? Really?

LarrySellerz 06-06-22 10:10 PM

Lots of people will tell you that wider tires at lower pressure are just as fast if not even faster than thin tires pumped up hard. Its bollocks, the fastest tires are narrow and pumped hard. The ideal PSI depends on your body weight and preferred riding style. Some people prefer less pressure to roll over imperfections in the road smoother, some people prefer the harsh ride of a rock hard tire, its really up to you.

Outrider1 06-06-22 10:11 PM

OP, what's your opinion on tire pressure? (you started it)

beng1 06-06-22 10:12 PM

A lot of top racers us the Silca info so it will be as good as any info anyone puts up here or on any public forum. The only extra thing you could do is check with the manufacturers of your tires to see if for some reason they need different pressures than those of other manufacturers. Let us know what they say..........

easyupbug 06-06-22 10:14 PM

Get a Garmin or something similar and see what works for you.

MTBbumpcrush 06-07-22 02:18 AM

Smooth road surface high pressure is fast,rough road bigger tire with lower pressure,actual pressure level put your bodyweight into the scale,there is nothing to discuss about,also carbon spoke wheelset is the future road wheelset with instant response fast acceleration
https://www.elite-wheels.com/drive-c...okes-wheelset/

PeteHski 06-07-22 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by rclouviere (Post 22533226)
I know there are a lot of opinions on tire pressure, but I’d like to get some opinions. I want to be as fast as possible on my road bike (conti tubeless) and my TT bike (conti clincher). I’velooked at the silcachart and it seems to be pretty accurate?

Use the Silca chart as your baseline then. There are too many variables to perfectly optimise your tyre pressure for every occasion anyway. Looking to maximise speed I would perhaps go a little higher than recommended pressures unless the road surface was rough. In which case I would go a little lower.

smd4 06-07-22 06:13 AM

I run my Veloflex 700 x 23C's at 140 psi on smooth pavement. Works for me.

DaveSSS 06-07-22 07:06 AM

I use the tire pressure calculator at zipp.com. It works for me. Tubeless tires at much lower pressures is what I use.

rumrunn6 06-07-22 07:11 AM

trial & error for the rear tire
5-10psi lower for the front tire

​​​​​​​I believe air resistance/drag & weight, will have a greater effect on your speed

CAT7RDR 06-07-22 07:29 AM

Experiment. Rinse, Repeat.

cxwrench 06-07-22 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22533245)
Lots of people will tell you that wider tires at lower pressure are just as fast if not even faster than thin tires pumped up hard. Its bollocks, the fastest tires are narrow and pumped hard. The ideal PSI depends on your body weight and preferred riding style. Some people prefer less pressure to roll over imperfections in the road smoother, some people prefer the harsh ride of a rock hard tire, its really up to you.

Larry...just stop it. They're not the suggestions of physics, or the feels of physics, they're the LAWS of physics.

Daniel4 06-07-22 08:42 AM

Low pressure has more rolling resistance because at the tangent point ( just before road contact), you are flexing the tire material to a higher angle than a tire at a very high pressure.

billridesbikes 06-07-22 08:47 AM

Here is an idea. Run your own experiment. Create a Strava segment on a longish downhill that will take at least a couple minutes to roll down without pedaling. Next start at low pressure and run down the segment a few times. Add pressure and repeat. Any RR difference will show up as an average time difference.

The reason I think that this is a divisive topic is that inflation pressure isn’t that important for speed. It’s down in the noise and difficult to measure a true diffence. Otherwise, if there was a large difference there would be universal consensus on what pressure to run.

Then run the pressure that feels the best to you and you don’t get pinch flats or blow the tire off the rim. There is no wrong pressure. (There, I said it)

rsbob 06-07-22 10:26 AM

I have found this site tremendously helpful when it comes to pressures. Just feed in your data. https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

cxwrench 06-07-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 22533595)
Low pressure has more rolling resistance because at the tangent point ( just before road contact), you are flexing the tire material to a higher angle than a tire at a very high pressure.

You have no clue. Go join Larry somewhere else.

phughes 06-07-22 02:31 PM

Way more to it than that, Larry. https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...ure-is-faster/

Don't you have a seat post to weld, remove, lower... break? Oh, and you honesty don't know what you are talking about.

ofajen 06-07-22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by rclouviere (Post 22533226)

Sorry, I’ll pass on the opinions but here’s the explanation of the Silca calculator along with a good discussion on the overall topic of rolling resistance of tire casings, the impedance of surfaces and how they interact.

https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/tire-pr...ator-explained

Otto

rclouviere 06-07-22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ofajen (Post 22534014)
Sorry, I’ll pass on the opinions but here’s the explanation of the Silca calculator along with a good discussion on the overall topic of rolling resistance of tire casings, the impedance of surfaces and how they interact.

https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/tire-pr...ator-explained

Otto

perfect. Thanks

rclouviere 06-07-22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22533230)
You're kidding, right? This is the most beat down dead horse of a topic that has been discussed hundreds of times but you're going to crack into it yet again...but not provide any info about your or your equipment? Really?

not on here much. Here goes: I’m 6’, 160+ pounds, have a madone and emonda set up tubeless with conti 5000 tires TLR and a TT bike, speed concept with conti 5000 clincher tires. All tires 25 mm

discussion came when another cyclist, known to be an annoying know it all, made the statement that anyone with tubeless tires who still inflated to 100 psi is an “idiot.” I said i was that idiot. He went in to say i should have wider tires (i have 25mm) and run them around 70psi. There were varying opinions.

bottom line is I’m 65 years old, but still trying to keep up with the youngsters, and need every speed advantage i can get.

rclouviere 06-07-22 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Outrider1 (Post 22533250)
OP, what's your opinion on tire pressure? (you started it)

I’ve always run at least 110psi. “Feels” faster to and how it’s always been for me. Lower psi just seems slower. I know there’s been lots of testing on this, but I’m just not sure now. The silica chart indicates i should be around 95psi

WhyFi 06-07-22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22533436)
I run my Veloflex 700 x 23C's at 140 psi on smooth pavement. Works for me.

Ew, David.

rclouviere 06-07-22 05:11 PM

I don’t care about comfort, only going faster.

WhyFi 06-07-22 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by rclouviere (Post 22534197)
I don’t care about comfort, only going faster.

Smooth is fast. Fast is smooth.