Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 01-10-22 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22368478)
Kudos for takin' the shot.

This

WhyFi 01-10-22 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368481)
Let's not discuss the townie I met at the laundry mat in Isle, MN, on the shore of Mille Lacs, while riding across the country.

That sounds exactly like something that should be discussed. :p

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368487)
I feel somewhat bummed but also relieved.

I know what you mean. I was the same way, but exposing yourself to disappointment is much better than wondering about what might have been.

genejockey 01-10-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22368495)
I approve. Reminds me of the "Far Side" comic with the gifted school and kid pushing on the door that says "pull."

Right. The sign says "Midvale School for the Gifted", so for decades now, whenever one of us tries to open a door the wrong way, the other says, "Midvale". We even passed it along to The Boys.

genejockey 01-10-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22368501)

I know what you mean. I was the same way, but exposing yourself to disappointment is much better than wondering about what might have been.

Lying on your deathbed thinking you shoulda jumped that girl who was clearly interested, back in Sophomore year in college.

Of course, the way memory works, on your deathbed you might 'remember' that you did jump her, even if it never happened!

Mojo31 01-10-22 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368429)
She was gorgeous, but when I got to Sweden I realized that she was only slightly above average by Swedish standards. :)

I'll probably qualify for a lower tier Helga.

Mojo31 01-10-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368472)
On the subject of my romantic woes...

Finally got up the nerve this afternoon to ask out the produce market girl. I thought there was a chance. We had have been chatting briefly about food when I shopped there. Then around New Years I did a look-back after paying and walking away and caught her doing a look-back at me.

Alas, she told me she has a "partner." Probably for the best as it appears there is a large age gap between us. Hard to tell if she's early 30s and looks older or early 40s and looks younger, or something in between. Still, she seems really cool so I decided that I would be a fool if there was a possibility and I let it slip away through inaction. She was very nice about the whole thing, saying she would take my asking her out as a compliment.

Nothing wrong with an age gap.

Should have told her she could bring her partner. You might have been pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, . . ..

indyfabz 01-10-22 01:10 PM

Lplo

Mojo31 01-10-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22368520)
lying on your deathbed thinking you shoulda jumped that girl who was clearly interested, back in sophomore year in college.

Of course, the way memory works, on your deathbed you might 'remember' that she did jump you, even though it never happened!

ftfy

indyfabz 01-10-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22368501)

Let's just say that I found out several years later that she and her then boyfriend (who I assumed was the father of her child) got arrested on suspicion of cooking meth when the cops came to their house after receiving a report about a possible domestic disturbance. Her name: Crystal. I kid you not.

WhyFi 01-10-22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368571)
Let's just say that I found out several years later that she and her then boyfriend (who I assumed was the father of her child) got arrested on suspicion of cooking meth when the cops came to their house after receiving a report about a possible domestic disturbance. Her name: Crystal. I kid you not.

Oof.

datlas 01-10-22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22368550)
Nothing wrong with an age gap.

When you get older and start thinking about retirement and funding healthcare costs, that's another matter entirely. Hear me now and believe me later.

:50:

big john 01-10-22 01:19 PM

I think I figured it out. Hard to remember having not used that camera in several years. Maybe now I can take some more shots around the neighborhood.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...735f5cc7cf.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 01-10-22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22368345)
A bit far for me. I might settle for the warm climes of NW Metro ATL.

I went to Roswell for Christmas one year and it was FREEZING!.

big john 01-10-22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22368571)

Moron manager hired a service writer named Crystal. She was kinda scuzzy and would squat between parked cars and smoke. Customers complained about the stench and she was told not to but she kept on. I referred to her as "Crystal Meth" and after that spread around I was admonished by the idiot manager and told I could not say that anymore.

There was an obese writer who threw everyone under the bus, so to speak, so I called him Ralph Cramden. I was similarly admonished for that even though fewer people understood.

LesterOfPuppets 01-10-22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22368135)
The UK is a clear outlier there. Also, they seem to have given up on Northern Ireland, according to this map. We should alert the media.

Most British homes are either olde stone cottages with half the mortar missing, no insulation, and single pane windows with no glazing, or those rowhouses with zero insulation and single pane windows with no glazing. :)

Mojo31 01-10-22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22368581)
When you get older and start thinking about retirement and funding healthcare costs, that's another matter entirely. Hear me now and believe me later.

:50:

I'm already there, so you're preaching to the choir. Hit 65 in the fall, but my wife is over 10 years younger. So, even while "retired" I'll still be paying for her health insurance for at least 11 more years.

I'll be working longer than Mo, but at least I don't have asbestos f'ing up my lungs.

Bah Humbug 01-10-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22368610)
Most British homes are either olde stone cottages with half the mortar missing, no insulation, and single pane windows with no glazing, or those rowhouses with zero insulation and single pane windows with no glazing. :)

Sounds like Hell.

seedsbelize2 01-10-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22368500)
This

I don't know if I have ever asked anyone out. I my ute, I tended to get picked up, or just do the one night stand thing. Ultimately, my wife of 30 years made the first move.

genejockey 01-10-22 01:38 PM

I love this modern world. Or at least parts of it. The cable crimps I bought this morning on Ebay? Looks like they're shipping today.

datlas 01-10-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22368614)
I'm already there, so you're preaching to the choir. Hit 65 in the fall, but my wife is over 10 years younger. So, even while "retired" I'll still be paying for her health insurance for at least 11 more years.

I'll be working longer than Mo, but at least I don't have asbestos f'ing up my lungs.

OK so you get it.

Mrs datlas and I are both 56, so 9 more years until Medicare. Eight years and change, but who is counting? I am!

genejockey 01-10-22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22368625)
OK so you get it.

Mrs datlas and I are both 56, so 9 more years until Medicare. Eight years and change, but who is counting? I am!

Mrs. GeneJockey is 6 months younger than I, but I don't plan to retire at 65.

datlas 01-10-22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22368631)
Mrs. GeneJockey is 6 months younger than I, but I don't plan to retire at 65.

I do. I want to semi-retire (work halftime) by 60 if I can find a way to swing it.

LesterOfPuppets 01-10-22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22368617)
Sounds like Hell.

It's pretty rough over there alright
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...d-25901249.amp

Velo Vol 01-10-22 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22368593)
I went to Roswell for Christmas one year and it was FREEZING!.

You're saying a trip for warmer winter weather, like a trip for KSU football, may not be worth it?

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22368622)
I love this modern world. Or at least parts of it.

Which parts?

Mojo31 01-10-22 01:58 PM

No plans to retire here at 65. May start taking off on Fridays when I can after I hit "retirement age."