Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Olympic cycling schedule 2021 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235162)

Darth Lefty 07-21-21 01:20 PM

Olympic cycling schedule 2021
 
I thought at first to make this thread with a schedule of all the events or starting guns but the sheer number of track events made it seem like a tedious project so I'm going by category. Maybe I'll come back later and sort by day?

See next post for calendar

IOC link here.
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olym...nd-results.htm
Their cookie warning tells me, I kid you not, that they need them to Grow The Olympic Movement

Darth Lefty 07-21-21 01:33 PM

OK, seems I've got a few minutes, let's do it by day.

Times in Japan local, GMT+9, 13 hours ahead of EDT (GMT-4), 16 hours ahead of PDT (GMT-7). So an event at noon Sunday in Japan will be 11pm EDT, 8pm PDT Saturday night in the US

Sat 24 July - 11:00 men's road race

Sun 25 July - 13:00 women's road race


Mon 26 July - 15:00 men's cross country MTB

Tue 27 July - 15:00 women's cross country MTB


Wed 28 July - 11:30 women's road time trial, 14:00 men's road time trial

Thu 29 July - 10:00 BMX racing quarterfinals. Alternating men's and women's heat races

Fri 30 July - 10:00 BMX racing semifinals and main event


Sat 31 July - 10:10 women's BMX Freestyle Qualifiers, 11:20 men's BMX Freestyle Qualifiers

Sun Aug 1 - 10:10 women's BMX Freestyle Finals , 11:20 men's BMX Freestyle Finals

Mon Aug 2 - Sun Aug 9 - track events starting 15:30 every day except Sunday starting 10:00

MinnMan 07-21-21 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 22151862)
OK, seems I've got a few minutes, let's do it by day.

Sat 24 July - 11:00 men's road race

Sun 25 July - 13:00 women's road race


Mon 26 July - 15:00 men's cross country MTB

Tue 27 July - 15:00 women's cross country MTB


Wed 28 July - 11:30 women's road time trial, 14:00 men's road time trial

Thu 29 July - 10:00 BMX racing quarterfinals. Alternating men's and women's heat races

Fri 30 July - 10:00 BMX racing semifinals and main event


Sat 31 July - 10:10 women's BMX Freestyle Qualifiers, 11:20 men's BMX Freestyle Qualifiers

Sun Aug 1 - 10:10 women's BMX Freestyle Finals , 11:20 men's BMX Freestyle Finals

Mon Aug 2 - Sun Aug 9 - track events starting 15:30 every day except Sunday starting 10:00

thanks

Darth Lefty 07-22-21 10:36 AM

Given that all the top names are gassed from the TdF, whoís even in the road race?

surak 07-22-21 12:06 PM

On the men's side Remco isn't gassed, Primosz is banged up but not gassed, and let's be real, Pogacar broke a sweat no more than 4 times the entire TdF (3 wins and one double Ventoux stage). Plus if anyone is trending up since the Tour, it's WvA, who came in undercooked due to appendix surgery and is gaining steam -- to put it mildly. So 2 Slovenians and 2 Belgians that will be among the favorites. Other picks with a decent chance: Woods if those extra days from leaving the Tour early helped, Dani Martinez unsurprisingly looked terrific for Bernal at the Giro, Simon Yates had a bad first week at the cold and wet Giro but came to life when it warmed up.

Then on the women's side, no one from SD Worx will be tired since they spread the load by taking turns bossing the last major race, the Giro (that and nearly all other major races). And van Vleuten opted to skip it to target Tokyo. The Dutch are huge favorites, and I don't think it's even close. Of course anything can happen but it'll be a huge upset if the Killer V's of van der Breggen, van Vleuten, Vos, and Vollering don't bring gold back to the Netherlands. I would love it if Rivera could podium, but everyone not in orange are clear underdogs.

Darth Lefty 07-22-21 03:12 PM

Pretty comprehensive article here:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/ol...-race/preview/

remember to think of it in terms of country teams… but then who’s the gun and who’s the bullet?

Caretaker 07-23-21 03:02 AM

I for one won't be watching.

slcbob 07-23-21 09:17 AM

Not at 4am, anyway.

Darth Lefty 07-23-21 01:29 PM

Mathieu van der Poel Is in the XC race too

Doge 07-23-21 02:24 PM

Can we all post in UTC? I'm very confused. Or at least the time zone.

Darth Lefty 07-23-21 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by Doge (Post 22154865)
Can we all post in UTC? I'm very confused. Or at least the time zone.

The IOC website had it listed in local time. Japan Standard Time is GMT+9. As of right now there, it’s 5:30 AM Saturday the 24th, while here in California’s elbow it’s 1:30 pm PDT (GMT-7) Friday.

Doge 07-23-21 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 22154872)
The IOC website had it listed in local time. Japan Standard Time is GMT+9. As of right now, itís 5:30 AM Saturday the 24th, while here in Californiaís elbow itís 1:30 pm PDT (GMT-7) Friday

And GMT is not UTC. It has a summertime offset.
I think the RR is around 8:00 PDT meaning it will be over too late for me. Might be fun to see that start.

2cam16 07-23-21 03:50 PM

According to my Google search which pulls up the official schedule, men's rr is at 7pm tonight, PST. My issue is the menu on my ATT Uverse does not mention what events are showing later nor what other optional channels other than the given local NBC and NBC Sports. I guess I'll just have to jump channels.

Doge 07-23-21 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 22154954)
According to my Google search which pulls up the official schedule, men's rr is at 7pm tonight, PST. My issue is the menu on my ATT Uverse does not mention what events are showing later nor what other optional channels other than the given local NBC and NBC Sports. I guess I'll just have to jump channels.

Just beating a dead horse to death. PST or PDT? We should all use UTC!

Darth Lefty 07-23-21 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 22154954)
According to my Google search which pulls up the official schedule, men's rr is at 7pm tonight, PST. My issue is the menu on my ATT Uverse does not mention what events are showing later nor what other optional channels other than the given local NBC and NBC Sports. I guess I'll just have to jump channels.

You can stream live online if youíve got a login from your cable provider and a mind to figure it out. Any event? Iím not sure.

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a37...okyo-olympics/

7 PDT (pedantic)

MinnMan 07-23-21 06:55 PM


Originally Posted by surak (Post 22153196)
On the men's side Remco isn't gassed, Primosz is banged up but not gassed, and let's be real, Pogacar broke a sweat no more than 4 times the entire TdF (3 wins and one double Ventoux stage). Plus if anyone is trending up since the Tour, it's WvA, who came in undercooked due to appendix surgery and is gaining steam -- to put it mildly. So 2 Slovenians and 2 Belgians that will be among the favorites. Other picks with a decent chance: Woods if those extra days from leaving the Tour early helped, Dani Martinez unsurprisingly looked terrific for Bernal at the Giro, Simon Yates had a bad first week at the cold and wet Giro but came to life when it warmed up.

Then on the women's side, no one from SD Worx will be tired since they spread the load by taking turns bossing the last major race, the Giro (that and nearly all other major races). And van Vleuten opted to skip it to target Tokyo. The Dutch are huge favorites, and I don't think it's even close. Of course anything can happen but it'll be a huge upset if the Killer V's of van der Breggen, van Vleuten, Vos, and Vollering don't bring gold back to the Netherlands. I would love it if Rivera could podium, but everyone not in orange are clear underdogs.

For the men, it's gotta be somebody who can climb. There's a nasty 6.5 km, 10% climb and then a descent to the finish. So Pogacar, Roglic or WvA, I'd guess. Remco is wholly unproven this year, as far as I'm concerned. Michael Woods as a dark horse.

For the women, it will be one of the Dutch for sure. I'l bet on van Vlleuten.

Edit: Plus, we don't know if Remco has recovered the nerve to descend fast.

GrainBrain 07-23-21 07:02 PM

GCN+ has all the bike races listed (mtb, road, bmx, itt) and is an official broadcaster. Why can't NBC have done this with peacock?

2cam16 07-23-21 09:54 PM

Luckily it's on USA.

GrainBrain 07-24-21 08:33 AM


Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 22155336)
Luckily it's on USA.

Did you watch it live? I watched the replay now on GCN but skipped forward constantly. Six hours of racing ... Brutal!

2cam16 07-24-21 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 22155675)
Did you watch it live? I watched the replay now on GCN but skipped forward constantly. Six hours of racing ... Brutal!

Yeah until around 12:30am. lol I recorded the rest and just finished watching it.

zandoval 07-24-21 10:57 AM

Sunday is Saturday... Rats! Missed it... Now gotta find the replay...
  • NBC?
  • NBCSN?
  • USA Network?
  • Olympic Channel?
  • CNBC?
  • The Golf Channel?
  • ustvgo?
  • FS1?
  • FS2?
Rats Again... Think I'll go out for a ride...

Darth Lefty 07-24-21 10:59 AM

Women’s race late tonight

surak 07-24-21 11:42 AM

NBC is showing the replay right now with 34 km to go on the West Coast.

Ken Brown 07-24-21 03:37 PM

I set the DVR last night and recorded 8 hours on Sportsnet (I am in Canada). They showed a lot of the race, including the neutral zone. However with about 46 km left they switched to water polo between teams that nobody in Canada would care about. Missed the end of the race, the most exciting part of any road race, and Canadian Michael Woods was in contention. To say I was pissed is an understatement. Pardon the rant.

2cam16 07-24-21 03:56 PM


Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 22155848)
Womenís race late tonight

Yup even later than the men's was. lol Highlights it will be for me.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.