Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=340)
-   -   Is my new IC4 big enough? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1245225)

im1dermike 01-15-22 05:15 PM

Is my new IC4 big enough?

I recently purchased a Schwinn IC4 as a low-impact at-home workout option. I assembled it today and attempted to properly adjust it for myself. I'm not an avid cyclist by any means so I'm not completely clear on how to properly adjust the bike. I followed a YT video on how to properly adjust an indoor bike and I was hoping to get some feedback on my adjustments attempt to understand if this bike is large enough for me. I'm 6'5" with average-sized legs and long arms.

The first thing I did (per the YT video) was attempt to set the seat height at the top of my hip bone. The top of my hip bone is about an inch higher than the STOP marker on the seat height. I then maxed out the handlebar height (again per the video). When I sat on the bike at that point and put the pedal at its lowest point, my knee seemed slightly bent (a good thing I take it). I then attempted to adjust the seat backward/forward and the handlebar backward/forward until it seemed as comfortable as possible.

Here is a picture of me after making the adjustments that seemed correct: https colon slash slash photos.app.goo.gl/vMB5vqPtGJ4fz1iPA (sorry I can't link it properly b/c I don't have enough posts to do so)

The woman in the YT video seemed like she was able to sit more upright, but I've unfortunately maxed out the handlebars so I can't go any higher to sit more upright.

Does the bike look like it fits properly enough to be able to work out effectively and safely? I'm concerned that if the seat or handlebars need to be up any higher, this means the bike is not appropriate for me and I'll have to try to return it.

Thanks in advance!

im1dermike 01-15-22 05:22 PM

I'll add that Schwinn notes this for the IC4: The recommended height range for users is 4'6" - 6'6". So I should fit.

PeteHski 01-15-22 05:39 PM

A better way to check your seat height:- with your heels on the pedals your legs should be straight at the furthest point and so then slightly bent with your feet in a normal pedalling position. But you can go a fair bit lower than this (say 5-10 mm) as being a bit lower than optimum on the seat causes a lot less problems than being a bit too high. From your photo, your saddle height looks to be in the ballpark. At 6'5" I'm not surprised that you are maxed out on the height adjustment.

Your handlebar height looks okay too, as long as you are comfortable. Casual indoor spin bike riders tend to have their bars much higher than keen road cyclists, so again I'm not surprised the woman in the video was sitting more upright. The key thing here is comfort and flexibility in your lower back. In the photo your position doesn't look overly aggressive.

I would give it a go and see how you feel after a few sessions.

Edit: One thing I would say from the photo is that it looks like you have the seat set a very long way back, presumably to get your reach to the bars comfortable. I would try moving the seat more forward and hold the bars further up at the sides.

im1dermike 01-15-22 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22375441)
One thing I would say from the photo is that it looks like you have the seat set a very long way back, presumably to get your reach to the bars comfortable. I would try moving the seat more forward and hold the bars further up at the sides.

Thanks for your feedback. I felt like if I moved the seat forward, it resulted in my leg being more bent when it was maxed out. I'll give it a shot, though.

PeteHski 01-16-22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by im1dermike (Post 22375512)
Thanks for your feedback. I felt like if I moved the seat forward, it resulted in my leg being more bent when it was maxed out. I'll give it a shot, though.

Yes, moving the seat forward does effectively reduce seat height. Normally you would compensate by raising the seat slightly when moving forward. But sounds like you are right at the limit of seat height adjustment.

chaadster 01-16-22 09:33 PM

It looks like you need more leg extension, and you might first check with Schwinn to see if they offer a high-seat mount option, i.e. the piece atop the post which does the fore-aft adjustment. CycleOps used to offer two different heights of those, so maybe Schwinn does, too.

The other possibility would be to get longer crank arms. I see it’s a 3-piece crankset, but you’ll have to look-see what the crank arm options are. Longer crank arms would drop you a bit lower on the bike, getting the extra length at the bottom instead of the top (i.e. seatpost).

Am I correct in assuming you slid the handlebars all the way forward on the handlepost?

I agree with PeteHski that moving the seat forward and getting on top of the pedals, as it’s said, would be preferable, but if you don’t have the reach to the handlebars you want, that may not be possible, so pedaling “behind” the pedals will still be fine, just not optimal for some efforts, probably.

im1dermike 01-17-22 03:50 PM

chaadster PeteHski Here is a video of me riding the bike today: https colon slash slash photos.app.goo.gl/kjpxs4TAFmZDxuJz8

The seat is currently as far up and back as possible. This arrangement seems to create the greatest possible leg extension. It did feel like I would want a touch more extension in an ideal situation although like I said I'm not an avid cyclist. If you agree it's a less than ideal, the question becomes is it a tolerable amount or would it potentially cause injury or something else detrimental?

The handlebars are at max height although they are slid fairly far back so as not to make my reach too much for my liking.

It does not already Schwinn sells crank or seat extensions, at least that I found on their site.

chaadster 01-18-22 01:29 PM

Hmm, tough spot. It's not likely that less-than-ideal seat height will cause injury, but it might hinder getting optimal results from your workouts because you're not maximizing your power output or not using the same muscles you use when actually out riding. My gut says it's probably not a big deal, but I honestly don't know. Whether that kind of stuff is even relevant will depend on your goals and how you plan to achieve them.

One other thought... perhaps a local welding shop could extend the seat clamp stub for you. I'm talking about the short post on top of the fore-aft adjusting block which the seat clamp affixes to. You probably don't need more than a couple of inches, but you'd have to figure that out.

If it's an option, you may want to return the IC4 and research replacement options.

Also, maybe you could look for solutions related to the Bowflex C6, which is a "badge engineered" IC4; it's the same bike.

Sorry I have no better solutions for you. Good luck!

im1dermike 01-20-22 02:51 PM

For posterity, I called Schwinn who didn't have anything helpful to add. They said there are no accessories they provide to extend the bike and that any third-party accessory would void the warranty. ha!

I did come across some bike seat shock absorber products that may do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/ZTZ-Bicycle-Ab.../dp/B07F7TWLR6

im1dermike 01-21-22 09:59 AM

While checking to see if a shock absorber (which would raise the height of my seat ~3 inches) could be attached to my IC4, I noticed that the stock seat has an adjustment point which I had not known about:

https colon slash slash photos.app.goo.gl/sbytw99QJDX2b5c99

I realized I could loosen the bolt and move the seat back 2" or even more, possibly given me the necessary leg extension I'm seeking. I was able to move it back 1-1.5" (starting point marked in the picture with some masking tape) and I now seem to have amble leg extension.

PeteHski 01-21-22 08:01 PM

To me, your leg extension in your previous video actually looks fine to me. A LOT of people have their saddle too high in an effort to maximise leg extension when it really isn't necessary. The only thing that is going to limit your sustained power output is your cardio engine, not your ultimate leg power. It doesn't look like you are cramped at the top of the stroke either, which is what happens when you really do go too low on the saddle. Maybe you could go a little higher without running out of your "functional" leg extension range, but you won''t gain much, if anything, from it. But if increased saddle set-back feels good to you, then go with it.

One thing I did notice from your video is that you have your arms locked out and shoulders tensed up. Try to relax your shoulders and bend at the elbows a little. It helps to rotate your pelvis forward slightly and use your core to support your body rather than pushing down on your arms. Actually moving the saddle back should help a little with this.