Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

datlas 07-19-20 05:04 AM

We gave our old toaster oven to daughter #1 when she moved out a few moths ago, and recently mrs datlas has been shopping online for a new one.

She finally ordered some fancy schmancy Cuisinart one that is advertised as an “air fryer” and that sounds like marketing BS, anyone know wtf an air fryer is or does?

Velo Vol 07-19-20 05:07 AM

Some people Strava kayaking.

Discuss.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594817)
Ohhh.... The schwag factor is stupid high on those. So much expensive speed to be bought.

Because weight doesn't really enter into it, you don't need to spend on the expensive stuff. A P2 is as fast as a P3, and with a clean cockpit is basically as fast as a P5. Same is true of a Shiv or a Speed Concept to stay in his brand - get the cheap one, add Di2 and a suitable bar, and you're giving up nothing.

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594567)
I think that there should be a law that you need to explicitly disclose the inclusion of raisins in any baked goods. Whilst out on our day of family fun, I got a peach crisp only to find friggin' raisins mixed in with the peaches. Damn savages.

Agreed. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21594627)
Fingers crossed!

Ditto!

BillyD 07-19-20 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21594411)
Oooh, looks like we're due for 3 days in double digits. I hope it happens!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a1eee685c.png

Have your sweater on hand.

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594720)
Thanks again. I'm pretty happy. 2 minutes off the podium, so I'm not setting the world on fire, but they're TT only guys, for the most part. Some of us upper middle aged guys don't actually like crits, and other mass start stuff, and just do TT's. I tried that after I went down, and I couldn't do it. Vo2 on a TT bike is a world that needs to be lived in. It's crazy hard, and you wonder why in heavens name you're messing about like that.

Back in the dark ages, I could do a first place ride in Masters 35+ on a 20k route but would barely crack top 10 in a 40k. Never had the distance in me.

This was also the very beginning of full discs and funny bikes. I was still on my crit bike with clamp-on tri bars. Anyway, lot of old guys going mid-50s in the 40k and I only broke an hour once so I did my last 40k in 1987. :D

So, again, Chapeau! :thumb:

WhyFi 07-19-20 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595094)
Heat/humidity even worse today. Plan is to be home before 10:30.

Make it a short ride, mmm'kay? :D

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 06:00 AM

Heathpack. Stunning photos. :thumb:

phrantic09 07-19-20 06:02 AM

I havenít left yet...

phrantic09 07-19-20 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595100)

Discuss.

guilty

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595092)
Do please get a very good TT fit before you even fall in love with one model.

Yep. We have a tri team that practices their cycling not far from us and often you can see a cyclist coming from a long way off with their knees/legs going up and down in a "V." I always assumed that they need either a bike fit, lose some belly fat, or both.

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 06:06 AM

Our 7:30 ride got cancelled. We are in the middle of a thunderstorm at the moment.

BillyD 07-19-20 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21594585)

It would be better if I lived somewhere that I could drive the EL84 power amp a little bit ;)

NY isnít that far away, you can visit at my house and blast away. Iíve got no neighbors on 3 sides of me.

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 06:19 AM

WhyFi On the espresso front, you told me once about how brewing parameters can change with the weather or whatever from day to day and I've experienced this several times. But yesterday, I pulled a double shot that timed out around 15-18 seconds with lots of crema instead of my normal ~28 seconds or so. I ground finer and still had trouble though the taste wasn't bad. I ground even finer and finally got back to "normal" characteristics.

So, this morning, with no changes, same beans and grinder settings, my machine about choked trying to produce a dinky, thick shot. Returned my grinder settings back to previous "normal" settings and everything is like it should be.

I find the intersection of science and art for making espresso fascinating. I wonder how many shots a coffee shop throws away in the morning making sure everything is OK for public sale. :foo:

BillyD 07-19-20 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594735)
Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

Incorrect. Other awesome baked goods:

Oatmeal raisin cookies
Dutch apple pie

DougRNS 07-19-20 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21595160)

Oatmeal raisin cookies
Dutch apple pie

He is incorrect frequently. Must be that pea brain inside of that mouse noggin. Sad.

seedsbelize 07-19-20 06:49 AM

Beautiful travelogue, HP. Brings back memories. I spent four days in the Backcountry, in Yosemite, in 1972. Pretty much hiked what we see in the half dome pic. Tuolumne meadows, Nevada Falls, Half Dome(there was a rope ladder you could take to the top), Vernal Falls, and then into the teeming valley. I spent my first night at Cathedral Lakes. A truly magical trip for a kid from Ohio farm country.

WhyFi 07-19-20 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21595149)
WhyFi On the espresso front, you told me once about how brewing parameters can change with the weather or whatever from day to day and I've experienced this several times. But yesterday, I pulled a double shot that timed out around 15-18 seconds with lots of crema instead of my normal ~28 seconds or so. I ground finer and still had trouble though the taste wasn't bad. I ground even finer and finally got back to "normal" characteristics.

So, this morning, with no changes, same beans and grinder settings, my machine about choked trying to produce a dinky, thick shot. Returned my grinder settings back to previous "normal" settings and everything is like it should be.

I find the intersection of science and art for making espresso fascinating. I wonder how many shots a coffee shop throws away in the morning making sure everything is OK for public sale. :foo:

Yeah, it takes some practice and that still doesn't eliminate tweaking. In general, I prefer to adjust tamp pressure (within a reasonable range) before I adjust grind... kind of like relying mostly on RD shifting and only using the FD when it's really necessary. :lol:

seedsbelize 07-19-20 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595098)
We gave our old toaster oven to daughter #1 when she moved out a few moths ago, and recently mrs datlas has been shopping online for a new one.

She finally ordered some fancy schmancy Cuisinart one that is advertised as an ďair fryerĒ and that sounds like marketing BS, anyone know wtf an air fryer is or does?

No idea. I was recently looking at microwave ovens and discovered there are combination microwaves and toaster ovens. How does that work? There is a metal rack inside.

rjones28 07-19-20 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595093)
News Flash: zero percent chance datlas will get a TT bike.

Not surprised.

rjones28 07-19-20 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595100)

Discuss.

I know several of them. I am not one of them. No kayak.

rjones28 07-19-20 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21595128)
I havenít left yet...

Same.

rjones28 07-19-20 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21595160)

Oatmeal raisin cookies
Dutch apple pie

I don't like raisins in my apple pie.

BillyD 07-19-20 07:03 AM

Awesome.