Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 07-28-20 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21610904)
That's the one thing I'm sure we can count on; nothing will be properly planned. MLB is all over bar the shouting. NFL will get cancelled during training camp, probably the first week. Do I maintain hope that cycling can proceed?

The problem with COVID is it's too serious of an illness for the powers-that-be to say "you're on your own" (like influenza), but it's not serious enough to make a wide swath of the population fearful of catching it. So we're stuck in no-man's land from a public health standpoint.

phrantic09 07-28-20 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21611177)
So I clicked the family text thread when I got back from my ride to discover that my uncle (who was in poor health to start with) is in the hospital with pneumonia in both lungs. Again, because it happened last year as well.

Sorry to hear that

phrantic09 07-28-20 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21611202)
I started doing intervals in college x-c. We went to the track and did the distance at a pace we thought would get us through the set and the coach would occasionally tell us to speed it up or slow it down. I think it's almost impossible to use a smoothed, delayed, data stream, like power, for tight feedback. I just go and glance at the numbers occasionally as a check. I think you get pretty good at estimating the target effort and you put in a better performance if you're not constantly trying to adjust your pace.

Back when I could run pain free and it was my primary sport, I was really disciplined about intervals, tempo runs, LSD, etc. Also most of that was training on pace and HR, not much else.

Velo Vol 07-28-20 08:41 AM

MoAlpha 07-28-20 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21611222)
Back when I could run pain free and it was my primary sport, I was really disciplined about intervals, tempo runs, LSD, etc. Also most of that was training on pace and HR, not much else.

Exactly.

BillyD 07-28-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21610976)
It was 78 degrees when I woke up an hour ago. Where the hell am I, Texas?

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21611001)
We’re at our house in MA today, it was 97 here yesterday and was 83 when I woke up.

That's some serious summering there. I wonder what @Velo Vol thinks.

Velo Vol 07-28-20 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21611260)
That's some serious summering there. I wonder what @Velo Vol thinks.

Nope.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...92025675ec.png

datlas 07-28-20 09:03 AM

So I clicked the family text thread when I got back from my ride to discover that my uncle (who was in poor health to start with) is in the hospital with pneumonia in both lungs. Again, because it happened last year as well.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21611183)
Ohhh. Not good. Sorry and best wishes.

Ditto

phrantic09 07-28-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21611269)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...05b488a447.png

BillyD 07-28-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21611135)
We have lots of extra water. Swollen creeks, washed out roads, etc...

Meanwhile the storm front we had a 60% chance of getting a couple hours ago has now totally fallen apart. :mad: :crash:

BillyD 07-28-20 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21611153)

Heh, those were the days . . . .

phrantic09 07-28-20 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21611282)
Meanwhile the storm front we had a 60% chance of getting a couple hours ago has now totally fallen apart. :mad: :crash:

We got hit back home this AM. I may have to mow now.

rjones28 07-28-20 09:11 AM

:(

BillyD 07-28-20 09:12 AM

Sorry to hear.

Trsnrtr 07-28-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21611179)
Oh yeah. Everyone used to have those...

Those and a Multito.

abshipp 07-28-20 09:40 AM

So sorry to hear :hug:

abshipp 07-28-20 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21611179)
Oh yeah. Everyone used to have those, but I never saw any good evidence they worked and if you had them in contact with the tire, they whined annoyingly and wore out.

I doubt they would last long for me, it's annoying enough getting leaves occasionally caught in the fenders. I couldn't imagine that whining along constantly.

indyfabz 07-28-20 09:51 AM

Back out into the heat to pick up the car. Ugh.

WhyFi 07-28-20 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21611009)
I'm scheduled for a sealant level check tomorrow, but my mileage rate has just about doubled in the last six weeks, so it might be that I'm actually past-due. Guess I should see to that today. :o

Both tires were in need - rear was dry and the front was lookin' tired and watery. Guess I need to adjust my service interval if I'm going to be riding this much.

abshipp 07-28-20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21611377)
Both tires were in need - rear was dry and the front was lookin' tired and watery. Guess I need to adjust my service interval if I'm going to be riding this much.

What's your service interval? Are you using a dipstick or actually breaking the bead?

WhyFi 07-28-20 10:27 AM

:rolleyes: Sigh.

Got more notifications of losing KOMs to Ace Factor. Looks like some sandbagged "rides" just got uploaded with the restoration of Garmin services. I really don't understand the motivation. Over the last three weeks, he's got more than a dozen fake-ass rides, most of them flagged by others fresh after receiving their notifications.

WhyFi 07-28-20 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21611418)
What's your service interval? Are you using a dipstick or actually breaking the bead?

It was 6-8 weeks, depending upon road conditions. I'm thinking that maybe I should go to every 800 miles or so... :foo:

I used to use a dipstick, but I picked up a "syringe" a couple months back. Injecting isn't really any easier, but now I can suck out old sealant without breaking the bead, which is handy.

WhyFi 07-28-20 10:40 AM

In checking my component mileage (the tires were last serviced almost exactly a month ago, about 900 miles), I see that I crossed the 2500 mile mark on the Cervelo this morning. :bday:

abshipp 07-28-20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21611432)
It was 6-8 weeks, depending upon road conditions. I'm thinking that maybe I should go to every 800 miles or so... :foo:

I used to use a dipstick, but I picked up a "syringe" a couple months back. Injecting isn't really any easier, but now I can suck out old sealant without breaking the bead, which is handy.

That looks handy. I think I need to try and re-do the rear wheel on my MTB. It's had a slow leak for a while but it was managable, now it seems like it will only hold like 20 psi. I'll overinflate it up to around 30 right before a ride but after a short while I'm feeling the rim bottoming out on roots, which shouldn't happen at all at 30 psi. I have some Orange Seal tape that I might try to throw on top of the Stans that's there now.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21611460)
In checking my component mileage (the tires were last serviced almost exactly a month ago, about 900 miles), I see that I crossed the 2500 mile mark on the Cervelo this morning. :bday:

:bday:

I should cross 1k on the shiny bike on my next ride. I've only had it for almost three seasons :o

WhyFi 07-28-20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21611498)
That looks handy. I think I need to try and re-do the rear wheel on my MTB. It's had a slow leak for a while but it was managable, now it seems like it will only hold like 20 psi. I'll overinflate it up to around 30 right before a ride but after a short while I'm feeling the rim bottoming out on roots, which shouldn't happen at all at 30 psi. I have some Orange Seal tape that I might try to throw on top of the Stans that's there now.

The only problem with the syringe is that not all valve stems can completely clear the "needle" part, which has an OD of about 3mm.

bampilot06 07-28-20 12:04 PM

Home inspection went great. Inspector said the crawl space was the best he had ever seen. Inside the house was just some minor things nothing to crazy. The back deck has to be resealed, and the owner is taking care of that this weekend. Offered to help, waiting on a response to see how that goes.

phrantic09 07-28-20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21611613)
Home inspection went great. Inspector said the crawl space was the best he had ever seen. Inside the house was just some minor things nothing to crazy. The back deck has to be resealed, and the owner is taking care of that this weekend. Offered to help, waiting on a response to see how that goes.

Nice!

seedsbelize 07-28-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21611222)

I cannot do a focused run while on LSD. Not even as a ute. On mushrooms I can't even move.

seedsbelize 07-28-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21611338)
I doubt they would last long for me, it's annoying enough getting leaves occasionally caught in the fenders. I couldn't imagine that whining along constantly.

I have some old ones up on the peg board. Haven't used them in years.

seedsbelize 07-28-20 12:44 PM

I am finding off-road riding to be a significantly harder workout than road riding. I guess it makes sense.