Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

LAJ 03-04-22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22428690)
A rust ring? Like a piece of rusted metal? I've had little pieces of rusty metal in my eyes, they came out eventually. I had a piece of gold plated copper get stuck in my eye and had to have a doc remove it. Had molten solder splash in and burn the eye. Of course I've had all automotive fluids in my eyes including battery acid several times. Had a brake bleeder explode and force fluid under my eyelids. Had gasoline forced under them, too.

I was walking in the hills on a windy night and a foxtail blew into my eye and went behind the eye so I couldn't reach it. The next morning enough of it was exposed to yank it out. A similar thing happened to one of my cats and she had to go to the vet to get it out.

Yep. Metal in the eye that you don't catch until the next day. It scratches the heck out of your eyelids as you sleep, and you wake up with a lot of pain. When the drop the Procaine in there, it's like ecstasy. As that metal sits in there, it also develops rust around it, hence the term. A needle, a grinder, and life gets good again.

bampilot06 03-04-22 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22428606)
Too much excitement this morning. Mrs GJ had the front screen door propped open, but with the front door shut, when a gust of wind blew the front door open. I was in the back of the house, still in my PJs, and I came out to hear her calling Rango and offering him a biscuit. Turns out he'd taken advantage of the open door and was now out on the street side!!! At the busiest time of day along our fairly busy street!!! :eek:

BUT it turns out he just sauntered two houses down the street to the house of his little buddy Pepper, his Chihuahua pal, and was trying to figure out how to get in. He came right over to me when I called, and I held him till Mrs. GJ could go get his leash and harness, because you can't drag a Greyhound by a regular collar - unless you want to end up with a collar in your hand and a Greyhound with a nekkid neck.

Whew!!! All's well that ends.

In my Lhasa apsoís prime, she would take full advantage to an open door and be gone. She didnít escape much but when she did it was always hours to find her. She would listen to us in the house but outside it was like we didnít exist, on or off the leash.

My lab was the opposite. He would get out of the house and just lay in the front yard, the funny part is, we wouldnít realize he was there until we tore the whole neighborhood apart.

genejockey 03-04-22 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22428693)
Luckily Iím not officially on the team yet so I have no team mates.

Nobody to help you, but also nobody you need to help.

big john 03-04-22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22428689)
Speaking of 454s, progress report on my old classmate's Suburban:

What year Suburban? Is it a show car?

genejockey 03-04-22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22428695)
Yep. Metal in the eye that you don't catch until the next day. It scratches the heck out of your eyelids as you sleep, and you wake up with a lote of pain. When the drop the Procaine in there, it's like ecstasy. As that metal sits in there, it also develops rust around it, hence the term. A needle, a grinder, and life gets good again.

All this talk of eyes, I couldn't help but think of this....
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cff3db8e65.jpg

LAJ 03-04-22 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22428700)

Looks fancy, starting with the firewall.

big john 03-04-22 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22428695)
Yep. Metal in the eye that you don't catch until the next day. It scratches the heck out of your eyelids as you sleep, and you wake up with a lot of pain. When the drop the Procaine in there, it's like ecstasy. As that metal sits in there, it also develops rust around it, hence the term. A needle, a grinder, and life gets good again.

Yikes!

genejockey 03-04-22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22428696)
In my Lhasa apsoís prime, she would take full advantage to an open door and be gone. She didnít escape much but when she did it was always hours to find her. She would listen to us in the house but outside it was like we didnít exist, on or off the leash.

My lab was the opposite. He would get out of the house and just lay in the front yard, the funny part is, we wouldnít realize he was there until we tore the whole neighborhood apart.

We had an Eskie (American Eskimo Miniature) who was a roamer, and an acrobat, so she escaped a number of times before we figured out how she was doing it. BUT she'd just go visit the neighbors across the creek. They knew her from seeing her in our yard.

big john 03-04-22 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22428705)
Looks fancy, starting with the firewall.

My friend built a 52 Chevy with a big block. A metal guy came to his place a made a custom firewall.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...pQ&oe=624945EF

LesterOfPuppets 03-04-22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22428700)

I don't know those things that well, late 70s?

I'm sure he'll cruise it most weekends.

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...bw&oe=6227C720

LAJ 03-04-22 07:25 PM

I pick an 84.

LAJ 03-04-22 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22428712)
My friend built a 52 Chevy with a big block. A metal guy came to his place a made a custom firewall.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...pQ&oe=624945EF

So much work and money.

abshipp 03-04-22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22428024)
Free tail light arrived. Thanks, dumb Amazon.

I've had a Planet Bike Superflash on the back of one of my bikes since I first started riding bikes around 12 years ago.

I can't believe it's still going. Couple of AA batteries like twice a year and it keeps working.

LesterOfPuppets 03-04-22 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22428744)
I've had a Planet Bike Superflash on the back of one of my bikes since I first started riding bikes around 12 years ago.

I can't believe it's still going. Couple of AA batteries like twice a year and it keeps working.

I got a couple of those when the stealth model went on sale for $15 apiece about 10 years ago, still shining bright!

abshipp 03-04-22 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22428749)
I got a couple of those when the stealth model went on sale for $15 apiece about 10 years ago, still shining bright!

The only thing that I don't like about it is the white case - which has now faded to an ugly yellow :lol:

A black model would be amazing.

Bah Humbug 03-04-22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22428628)
What is the correct hand size?

You'd like 10+". Russell Wilson has 10 3/4", I think. Burrow has 9" and that's the smallest of current starting QBs.

genejockey 03-04-22 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22428690)
A rust ring? Like a piece of rusted metal? I've had little pieces of rusty metal in my eyes, they came out eventually. I had a piece of gold plated copper get stuck in my eye and had to have a doc remove it. Had molten solder splash in and burn the eye. Of course I've had all automotive fluids in my eyes including battery acid several times. Had a brake bleeder explode and force fluid under my eyelids. Had gasoline forced under them, too.

I was walking in the hills on a windy night and a foxtail blew into my eye and went behind the eye so I couldn't reach it. The next morning enough of it was exposed to yank it out. A similar thing happened to one of my cats and she had to go to the vet to get it out.

You're why safety glasses exist. Holy hell.

genejockey 03-04-22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22428734)
I pick an 84.

Didn't the 80s correspond to the nadir of car goodness, thought? A friend bought a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser from a coworker, and complains about it endlessly - it's the last year for carburetion before the switch to EFI, so in addition to being slow as hell it also drinks gas at a ferocious rate. He wanted it for trips to the mountains, but it burns so much gas going uphill he kinda soured on it.

seedsbelize2 03-04-22 08:23 PM

Today I began the switch back to ground coffee. I bought some espresso, Musi brand, from the place where I buy tahini. As I was scouring my kitchen looking for coffee making implements, I found the long lost aeropress, sans filters. I may have thrown them out when I thought the press was gone for good. I found a cone and cone filters, and used that with good success

big john 03-04-22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22428724)
I don't know those things that well, late 70s?

I'm sure he'll cruise it most weekends.

They used the same body from 73 to 91. The front fenders slope down like that starting in 82, I think, but they will bolt on the older ones.

LesterOfPuppets 03-04-22 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22428783)
Today I began the switch back to ground coffee. I bought some espresso, Musi brand, from the place where I buy tahini. As I was scouring my kitchen looking for coffee making implements, I found the long lost aeropress, sans filters. I may have thrown them out when I thought the press was gone for good. I found a cone and cone filters, and used that with good success

I remember back in 2010 or so I found myself without coffee equipment at home. I made cowboy coffee for a couple of months.

LesterOfPuppets 03-04-22 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22428784)
They used the same body from 73 to 91. The front fenders slope down like that starting in 82, I think, but they will bolt on the older ones.

Yeah, I took a look at a '79 and an '84 and noticed the '79 had a bulge that stopped before meeting the front of the fender, where as the '84 had that crease that tapered in towards the front.

The closest vehicle to that I owned was the ol Malibu Classic, and its quarter panels were smooooooth :)

https://thumbor-production-auction.h...libu-wagon.jpg

big john 03-04-22 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22428738)
So much work and money.

I know. It has a Mustang II front end and disc brakes with anti-lock. It's a show winner. When he lived near here he built a 68 El Camino SS. Stock but beautiful. Got frustrated with it and sold it cheap. He moved out of the area and got the old truck. It's a hobby.

big john 03-04-22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22428765)
You're why safety glasses exist. Holy hell.

I started wearing prescription glasses in my 40s, so that helped.

WhyFi 03-04-22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22428791)
I remember back in 2010 or so I found myself without coffee equipment at home. I made cowboy coffee for a couple of months.

I could see you with a bripe.