Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Eric F 02-17-22 01:09 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412501)
Someone's missing out on undistorted, hiss/crackle-free music.

False. I'm not missing a thing. I made a choice about my preferred music format in this particular listening space, and I'm 100% content with my decision. I enjoy the physical ritual of playing a vinyl record.

rjones28 02-17-22 01:09 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412509)
You have a Polaroid, don't you?

Nope. I have a smartphone.

bampilot06 02-17-22 01:11 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412498)
What are your strengths? My best weapon was sprinting. I ended up winning the field sprint for 3rd place behind 2 strong guys who got away early and did a great job working together.


I honestly donít know. My coach seems to think my power numbers are good in the sprint, I just need to practice. I can also hold a good pace when I get out front for longer than what most expect but I donít know what my strengths are. If I go to hard I do get dropped, Ask me how I know.

Eric F 02-17-22 01:20 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412524)
I honestly donít know. My coach seems to think my power numbers are good in the sprint, I just need to practice. I can also hold a good pace when I get out front for longer than what most expect but I donít know what my strengths are. If I go to hard I do get dropped, Ask me how I know.

Being good at sprinting is not just about power. Positioning and timing are critical components. Being able to move yourself into a good position - and hold it - in the closing laps requires a fairly high level FTP type power where you're not burning matches for the sprint. It took me a while to figure out my own recipe. I was never the type with an explosive sprint in the last 50 yards, and trying to compete in that game wasn't a successful plan for me. I was much better at winding up a 53x11 from a long way out (200+) and holding a high speed. It also meant that I was usually the one making the first jump, and people were having to respond to my game, where I was using my best weapon. Much more successful for me.

Mojo31 02-17-22 01:23 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412522)
False. I'm not missing a thing. I made a choice about my preferred music format in this particular listening space, and I'm 100% content with my decision. I enjoy the physical ritual of playing a vinyl record.

The who that is missing something is the guy that thinks a cheap jam box is or was SOA. He's missing the warmth and nuance of analog, the dynamic range of a good amp/speaker combination, a decent sound stage, and the good, clean sound that comes out of good speakers.

Velo Vol 02-17-22 01:23 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22412523)
Nope. I have a smartphone.

80% chance you had one once upon a time; 30% chance you still have it.

WhyFi 02-17-22 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412524)
I honestly donít know. My coach seems to think my power numbers are good in the sprint, I just need to practice. I can also hold a good pace when I get out front for longer than what most expect but I donít know what my strengths are. If I go to hard I do get dropped, Ask me how I know.

This is where more spirited group rides come in handy, with contested town signs and whatnot. Hard to know what your strengths are, when push comes to shove, if push never comes to shove.

Mojo31 02-17-22 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412540)
80% chance you had one once upon a time; 30% chance you still have it.

If he has one of the leather folding Poloroids, he may be a rich man.

Eric F 02-17-22 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412540)
80% chance you had one once upon a time; 30% chance you still have it.

87.6% of statistics posted on the internet are made up by the poster.

genejockey 02-17-22 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412524)
I honestly donít know. My coach seems to think my power numbers are good in the sprint, I just need to practice. I can also hold a good pace when I get out front for longer than what most expect but I donít know what my strengths are. If I go to hard I do get dropped, Ask me how I know.

Check out NorCal Cycling's channel on YouTube. He does a really good job discussing and demonstrating race tactics, using videos shot during races. Just don't watch the ones from this month (he crashed).

bampilot06 02-17-22 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412536)
Being good at sprinting is not just about power. Positioning and timing are critical components. Being able to move yourself into a good position - and hold it - in the closing laps requires a fairly high level FTP type power where you're not burning matches for the sprint. It took me a while to figure out my own recipe. I was never the type with an explosive sprint in the last 50 yards, and trying to compete in that game wasn't a successful plan for me. I was much better at winding up a 53x11 from a long way out (200+) and holding a high speed. It also meant that I was usually the one making the first jump, and people were having to respond to my game, where I was using my best weapon. Much more successful for me.


My goals for this first race.
1. Do not crash
2. Do not crash
3. Do not crash
4. Finish
5. Have fun

As much as I would LOVE to get on the podium, thatís not what I am trying to do. I havnt even seen a crit in person yet.

bampilot06 02-17-22 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22412550)
Check out NorCal Cycling's channel on YouTube. He does a really good job discussing and demonstrating race tactics, using videos shot during races. Just don't watch the ones from this month (he crashed).


will do.

Eric F 02-17-22 01:41 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412539)
The who that is missing something is the guy that thinks a cheap jam box is or was SOA. He's missing the warmth and nuance of analog, the dynamic range of a good amp/speaker combination, a decent sound stage, and the good, clean sound that comes out of good speakers.

A decently set up space where you're sitting just inside the apex of the listening triangle is a wonderful thing.

bampilot06 02-17-22 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22412543)
This is where more spirited group rides come in handy, with contested town signs and whatnot. Hard to know what your strengths are, when push comes to shove, if push never comes to shove.


Well, I tried to get someone to ride with me when he was in town but apparently 6 am is too early.

rjones28 02-17-22 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412540)
80% chance you had one once upon a time; 30% chance you still have it.

Incorrect.

rjones28 02-17-22 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412544)
If he has one of the leather folding Poloroids, he may be a rich man.

:lol:

genejockey 02-17-22 02:00 PM

Jury Duty. :(

seedsbelize2 02-17-22 02:02 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412522)
False. I'm not missing a thing. I made a choice about my preferred music format in this particular listening space, and I'm 100% content with my decision. I enjoy the physical ritual of playing a vinyl record.

Do you clean your weed on the album cover too?

Eric F 02-17-22 02:11 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412553)
My goals for this first race.
1. Do not crash
2. Do not crash
3. Do not crash
4. Finish
5. Have fun

As much as I would LOVE to get on the podium, thatís not what I am trying to do. I havnt even seen a crit in person yet.

Ahhh..I didn't catch that this will be your first. In that case, your priorities are in order. Good luck.

Eric F 02-17-22 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22412591)
Do you clean your weed on the album cover too?

Nope. Weed has never been much of a thing for me.

Mojo31 02-17-22 02:14 PM

Living in the past.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ee291d4c7e.jpg

Oh, wait . . ..

Eric F 02-17-22 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412564)
Well, I tried to get someone to ride with me when he was in town but apparently 6 am is too early.

It is.

Eric F 02-17-22 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412605)
Living in the past.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ee291d4c7e.jpg

Oh, wait . . ..

What's the TT? That crabon fiber tonearm is sexy. Are you worried it will assplode?

Mojo31 02-17-22 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412607)
What's the TT? That crabon fiber tonearm is sexy. Are you worried it will assplode?

It's a Pro-Ject Debut that I picked up in 2014 when I moved into this office. Hooked up to a Pro-Ject pre-amp, inexpensive Denon AVR, and some old KEF mini towers that I had at home.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a6946ea6c.jpg

Crabon arm hasn't assploded yet, but you never know what tomorrow brings.

Home system is similar, but a notch up.

MoAlpha 02-17-22 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412185)
Finally admitting that sailing is dangerous?

Have I ever denied it?

WhyFi 02-17-22 02:42 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412564)
Well, I tried to get someone to ride with me when he was in town but apparently 6 am is too early.

In the dark of the winter? **** yeah, that's too early. But hey, if you wanna get lit up on some town signs, lemme know next time. :p

bampilot06 02-17-22 02:46 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22412631)
In the dark of the winter? **** yeah, that's too early. But hey, if you wanna get lit up on some town signs, lemme know next time. :p


How does easter look? lol

WhyFi 02-17-22 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412638)
How does easter look? lol

I would assume that I'll be working on the kitchen. Not sure what the plan is for VA trips this year. Hasn't been discussed, yet.

bampilot06 02-17-22 02:52 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22412646)
I would assume that I'll be working on the kitchen. Not sure what the plan is for VA trips this year. Hasn't been discussed, yet.


Im sure iíll be your way again soon. New York trips overnight there a lot, just for some reason I keep getting Austin.

Velo Vol 02-17-22 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22412628)
Have I ever denied it?

You glamorized it in your "summer" photos.

Probably cropped out the fins of the circling sharks.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.