Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Great Lakes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   "HIP" update... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=424019)

Hipcycler 05-30-08 01:51 PM

"HIP" update...

Well, for now, it's all good.

Seven years and 20,667 miles later, my surgeon today held up the X-ray from right after he did the operation and the X-ray they just took today. Quoting his words now:

"It looks fantastic. I'm amazed there is so little wear considering what you've done with it."

AWESOME!

Next up...come back in a couple of years to have it checked again. Of course he gave the old warning about crashing.

"Be careful, because if you hit it just wrong on a crash you can shatter the ceramics and I'll be picking ceramic out of your flesh on the operating table."

Nice.

He told about newer technology too, and that fact that at some point down the road we'll have to do an operation for some fresh replacement parts, but for now, all is good. It's doing just what it should in there.

ColorChange 05-30-08 01:51 PM

Yes!!!!!!!

Now go ride you fat lazy bumb!
:lol:

CyLowe97 05-30-08 01:59 PM

Apparently you're not riding hard enough.

Dig deeper, Hip!

And are you going to update your avatar with the new x-ray?

Hipcycler 05-30-08 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CyLowe97 (Post 6788490)
Apparently you're not riding hard enough.

Dig deeper, Hip!

And are you going to update your avatar with the new x-ray?

HA!
Looks the same. He said it's dead-on center and that the bone is "very developed" around the titanium rod from all the cycling.

See...cycling, it does a body good!

Hipcycler 05-30-08 02:04 PM

It is amazing really to see that in front of your face and know the guy that put the X-rays on the board had your life in his hands, AND, basically gave you your life back, and gave me cycling!

Heady day...I need to go climb some hills.

aham23 05-30-08 02:25 PM

so, we will see you tomorrow**********

later.

Psimet2001 05-30-08 02:38 PM

Climb with us tomorrow.

Congrats hip. has to make your day you sappy guy you. Don't get all reflective on us just go ride.

Hipcycler 05-30-08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Psimet2001 (Post 6788761)
Climb with us tomorrow.

Congrats hip. has to make your day you sappy guy you. Don't get all reflective on us just go ride.

...I know, I know...I'm an emotional wreck now....but for a good reason.
Wish I could just go ride (in the middle of a little radio show right now on a 50,000-watt flamethrower)

FYI...first person I told...Coach Jerry in person at his shop, where my 'bumble bee' Madone sits.
He doesn't think Klein is going to come out with any big 're-birth' model changes, so that Madone is going to get a test ride in mid-June, right after the Tour of Wisconsin with my kid sister visiting.

CyLowe97 05-30-08 02:48 PM

bumble bee Madone?

Is this some sort of crazy Project One paint job you two are scheming up?

Hipcycler 05-30-08 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by CyLowe97 (Post 6788836)
bumble bee Madone?

Is this some sort of crazy Project One paint job you two are scheming up?

No, no...factory.
Black Madone with yellow-stripe tires and yellow trim....Shim compact on it too. He says it's quite a ride and it's my size too!

click here

Sage23 05-30-08 04:08 PM

Great News Hip!!!! :beer:

Get that Madone already, you'll love it for the next 20,000 miles!

cjbruin 05-30-08 04:12 PM

Woohoo!!! Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new bike.
www.sevencycles.com

Psimet2001 05-30-08 04:18 PM

New bike. New bike. New bike.

Not a Trek. Not a trek. Not a Trek.

;)

Hipcycler 05-30-08 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Psimet2001 (Post 6789403)
New bike. New bike. New bike.

Not a Trek. Not a trek. Not a Trek.

;)

Hey, you'll be happy to know the bike my sister is now shipping here for our rides together...a GIANT! She loves it.

John Wilke 05-30-08 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hipcycler (Post 6788791)
...I know, I know...I'm an emotional wreck now....but for a good reason.
Wish I could just go ride (in the middle of a little radio show right now on a 50,000-watt flamethrower)

Bah ... there's CBers on the north side that run half that right out of their cars and nobody listens to them eith... er, I mean ... uh ... never mind.

I'll be quiet now. :D

(Congratulations ... hey, what happed to the old Hip? I mean the old hip joint that is. The original ... not that you're not original, you know ... :innocent:)

Sage23 05-30-08 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by John Wilke (Post 6789584)
Bah ... there's CBers on the north side that run half that right out of their cars and nobody listens to them eith...

Half that? More like twice that!

Flywolfs 05-31-08 07:25 AM

Glad everything turned out fine Hip, all the best

flywolf

Hipcycler 05-31-08 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Flywolfs (Post 6792326)
Glad everything turned out fine Hip, all the best

flywolf

Thanks...haven't seen you posting in a while.....still riding the Oak Leaf at times in between the cockpit of your jet?

Flywolfs 05-31-08 08:03 PM

Yeah, its been a little crazy at work with all the lay offs and all, 'not that I am complaining' but don't get weekends off anymore and mostly ride during the week. Yes, I have been doing the Oak Leaf every now and then.

wants185s 06-01-08 07:13 PM

I'm curious. Can I ask how old are you and if you were able to achieve the same performance post surgery as before the surgery?

Hipcycler 06-02-08 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by wants185s (Post 6799915)
I'm curious. Can I ask how old are you and if you were able to achieve the same performance post surgery as before the surgery?

I had no performance prior....I took up cycling as part of my rehab and never looked back!

RacerX99 06-02-08 08:50 AM

That is great Hip
I am a fellow hipster
I had a THP on the right in 2001. My last checkup went great as well:D
I did a lot of cycling prior to the replacement, since I had congenitial hip displasia for 20 years, but now cycling and swimming are all the exercise that I do. No more running for me. I want this hip to last more than 20 years.

Congrats. :thumb:

CyLowe97 06-02-08 08:54 AM

RacerX99, tell Hip how you did at the Horribly Hilly Hundreds last year!

Let him know steep hills are good for the soul!

RacerX99 06-03-08 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by CyLowe97 (Post 6802701)
Let him know steep hills are good for the soul!

:lol:

Steep hills are definately good for the soul. :twitchy:

nine and a half hours last year. The first year took over twelve :eek:

Did not make the sign up this year, looking at the DDD in Aug.