Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Do you need a handlebar bag to be a racer? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222201)

Doge 01-23-21 07:31 PM

Do you need a handlebar bag to be a racer?

A diversion topic, in racer fasion. I meant to post about this before, but just saw junior's post. So I thought it might be a topic.
I've seen a few of 20 somethings that get paid to ride using handlbar bags now. Not racing of course. I did that in the 80s and was called a FRED for it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cc44516c16.png

rubiksoval 01-24-21 06:57 AM

I know two Rally pros, one junior, one U-23, and one 45+ dude that has these types of bags.

And no one else.

What do they keep in there?

Seems like something straight out of high school.

Hermes 01-24-21 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21892081)
I know two Rally pros, one junior, one U-23, and one 45+ dude that has these types of bags.

And no one else.

We do not know this.

mack_turtle 01-24-21 11:07 AM

Not a racer and I don't shave my legs. I have a handlebar bag because it's a convenient place to put my snacks, phone, extra clothes that go off/on with the weather.

rubiksoval 01-24-21 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mack_turtle (Post 21892427)
Not a racer and I don't shave my legs. I have a handlebar bag because it's a convenient place to put my snacks, phone, extra clothes that go off/on with the weather.

More convenient than your jersey pockets?

ridethecliche 01-24-21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21892081)

And no one else.

A hamer so they can drope it when the time is right.

mack_turtle 01-24-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21892475)
More convenient than your jersey pockets?

yes, quite a bit more convenient. I still use my jersey pockets for a few things but it's nice to get that weighed-down, bouncing feeling off my back.

mack_turtle 01-24-21 12:53 PM

it's also a handy place to hide a long tool that you can use to poke your opponent's downtube shifter and Break Away.

79pmooney 01-24-21 01:03 PM

Funny, I used a TA bag in the early '70s for touring. 1976 started racing and never put it on again. I've dissed this current trend.

On a completely different topic - I've been having more issues with high speed wobble on my custom as I age and I ride fast descents with less aggression and confidence. Just read the other day that some find that handlebar bags can minimize wobble. So - I'm going to get a bag just big enough for the items in my seat tool bag and see if that helps. (I think I'll throw on that old TA and give it a try if it isn't too moldy. 46 years of neglect is a long time!)

burnthesheep 01-24-21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 21892392)
We do not know this.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/p...ard_d_5798.jpg

burnthesheep 01-24-21 03:55 PM

In seriousness..............It's one of those things that falls right in between the sizes and uses you really need them for. Either you're a super underpacked randonneur or a super overpacked Fred.

If I had to guess why it is popping up with racers, it's that they have to carry all their **** for their IG and FB and Twitter and Snapchat and Tiktok posts about all the **** contained in said bags. Oh and the bag itself.

The only time I'd consider it is for a really long leisurely day of gravel. But then, I own a really small backpack that holds a small Camelbak bladder and some "real food" snacks. I prefer a good fitting backpack with the weight on my body versus the handlebars. I don't want crap messing with my steering.

It's an extreme example, but in summer I'll do some Z1 leisure rides on the wife's bike with the dog in a basket on the handlebars. That weight makes it interesting. Little man loves the breeze though.

gerundium 01-25-21 07:22 AM

Don't know where these guys are training, but if i am doing a 5+ hour ride in variable weather conditions and don't want to stop (for training reasons or covid) the jersey pockets end up rather overloaded. That's the only reason i can think of.

well there's one more reason: they just like to bring a burrito or baguette as ride food :lol:

Hermes 01-25-21 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ridethecliche (Post 21892484)
A hamer so they can drope it when the time is right.

And a tape measure to measure ones quads.

mattm 01-25-21 11:29 AM

It's a fashion thing, like an ironic mustache.

gsteinb 01-25-21 11:33 AM

I am a bag.

colnago62 01-25-21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 21894079)
And a tape measure to measure ones quads.

https://images.app.goo.gl/SADNjsqM259a13Rd8

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f860c0c13.jpeg

TMonk 01-25-21 05:58 PM

what mattm said. We were getting along just fine without them. I routinely put in 5-6 hour rides with a 20+ degree temperature differential and I manage to carry enough food. The pockets are stuffed with food when I leave and clothing when I return.

But if you want your IG/social media to start trending, or to otherwise seem hip/cool, it's time for the bag.

Hermes 01-25-21 07:09 PM

My goal is to be an Instagram handlebar bag influencer.;)

waterrockets 01-26-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by gerundium (Post 21893709)
Don't know where these guys are training, but if i am doing a 5+ hour ride in variable weather conditions and don't want to stop (for training reasons or covid) the jersey pockets end up rather overloaded. That's the only reason i can think of.

This was it for me. I bought a bag two weeks ago. Got tired of heading out for 70-100 miles when it's 31F then trying to deal with clothes as it warms into the 60s. The damned new race jerseys are super elastic, and the overloaded pockets just bounce with any move you make. And I'm talking about adding only vest, gloves, and warmers to the mix.

The other thing I did was move to Bar Mitts for winter this year. It has changed my life for cold weather hand management -- I've ridden in the mid 20s with them, wearing summer gloves underneath. The tiny ass handlebar bag I bought for $11 on ebay can hold these giant neoprene Bar Mitts.

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 21894904)
what mattm said. We were getting along just fine without them. I routinely put in 5-6 hour rides with a 20+ degree temperature differential and I manage to carry enough food. The pockets are stuffed with food when I leave and clothing when I return.

Yeah, I've been fine without them for 30 years, but it's just a good idea. I think the turning point for me this year was: getting back into racing with the newer stretchy jerseys, adoption of Bar Mitts, and pandemic miles ramp-up. The pockets were more full than ever, and had less structure to accommodate. I guess I'm also talking about 35+ degree swings since I also start riding pre-dawn.

The last thing I feel with them is fashionable. Although Austin's current local pro (Lawson Craddock) trains with a bar bag around Central TX.

Doge 01-26-21 07:46 PM

Fast riders. The one that gets paid (for cycling) has the bag.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ccd8f21633.png

Doge 01-26-21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 21895901)
...Although Austin's current local pro (Lawson Craddock) trains with a bar bag around Central TX.

Yup

Doge 01-26-21 07:53 PM

Shaving legs and bar bags are very close.

Enthalpic 01-26-21 08:54 PM

Are they going to bar bags because they have the garmin radar thing where a seat bag would be?

Doge 01-26-21 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 21896840)
Are they going to bar bags because they have the garmin radar thing where a seat bag would be?

Garmin thing is during the race. So no. I think the new thing is food and they like feeling light on the body. Just that they broke the mold that this is a FRED thing. I am also seeing hairy legs on fast riders. I expect that is a COVID no racing thing. I find the trends interesting.