Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Neoprene socks? Mixed results… (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243026)

masi61 11-30-21 06:39 AM

Neoprene socks? Mixed results…

I forgot that I had purchased some XL sized neoprene socks for winter riding. I brought them out and used them twice in the past week and wonder if I like them or not. One ride I put them over thick wool socks, the other ride I put them over thin cycling socks. My winter cycling shoes are Fizik Arctica SPD-R boots. I think the padding of the neoprene is nice & they retain some heat. Those are the positives.

The negatives are that my feet never got warm much. And with the thin cycling socks I arrived home from a 50 mile ride in 39F temps with feet that were cold. When removing the socks when back home they are damp on the inside and feel slightly warm, but when you feel the temperature of your feet - they’re cold!

Is there a trick to getting the most from neoprene socks?

chaadster 11-30-21 08:35 AM

The trick to getting anything good out of neoprene is to use it in water. It’s not waterproof and doesn’t breathe well, but does retain some insulating properties when wet, so in a situation where you’re going to be wet no matter what, it’s a good choice. In a situation where you’re sweating against otherwise dry and freezing cold neoprene, it’s a poor insulator and will make you feel much colder much faster than pretty much anything other than a plastic bag.

Unless you’re shoes are getting soaking wet while you ride, you’ll do much better with, say, electric socks than neoprene.

Velo Mule 11-30-21 02:10 PM

I made a couple of pairs of Polar fleece socks with a pattern from Green Pepper. They seemed to work well for me. My wife didn't like them though. Fit and finish are important.

Green Pepper sock pattern

Now that I have a serger, I should make some more. Ah, I don't have time. Maybe I'll buy some Polar Feet

They are also not universally liked, otherwise we'd see more of them for sale. Perhaps I'm the only one that likes them.

If you try them and like them let us know. Or if you don't like them, let us know why. There may be some limitations of these socks that I haven't run into yet.

rumrunn6 11-30-21 02:31 PM

they don't work for me

only this does
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1a98f601c.jpg

MNBikeCommuter 12-02-21 10:42 AM

I have a pair that were used once or twice and have been in a drawer for years/decades since. I should just toss them but "I paid good money for them!" :)

cyccommute 12-04-21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 22324355)
… It’s not waterproof…

Every pair of waders I’ve ever owned would disagree. The bad old days of full neoprene waders were waterproof from chest to toe. Even breathable waders have neoprene from toe to ankle and they are just as waterproof.

Originally Posted by masi61 (Post 22324254)
I forgot that I had purchased some XL sized neoprene socks for winter riding. I brought them out and used them twice in the past week and wonder if I like them or not. One ride I put them over thick wool socks, the other ride I put them over thin cycling socks. My winter cycling shoes are Fizik Arctica SPD-R boots. I think the padding of the neoprene is nice & they retain some heat. Those are the positives.

The negatives are that my feet never got warm much. And with the thin cycling socks I arrived home from a 50 mile ride in 39F temps with feet that were cold. When removing the socks when back home they are damp on the inside and feel slightly warm, but when you feel the temperature of your feet - they’re cold!

I wonder if your problem is more due to sizing of your shoes than to the socks. Neoprene socks are usually 3mm thick which is thicker…and less compressible…than most fabric socks.

I have used neoprene socks in the past but only as a supplement to shoes that aren’t insulated nor waterproof. Personally, I wouldn’t use them with shoes that are already waterproof and insulted like yours. I’d use a thicker wool sock. At the temperatures you are talking about, I’d probably use over the knee socks like these. They used to be called “knicker socks” from the days of wearing knickers (US, not England).

rumrunn6 12-20-21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 22328653)
over the knee socks like these. They used to be called “knicker socks” from the days of wearing knickers (US, not England).

our Dad had us wear corduroy hiking knickers & knee socks. they actually worked quite nicely. me Pops & Sis on Mt. Katahdin. there shud be another pic somewhere showing the socks. but don't know for sure
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ada17a470f.jpg

zandoval 12-20-21 02:05 PM

Cold Feet!!! Hate it... I'm one of those guys that when my feet get cold I am a GONNER. One thing to take note on is how tight your boots are. I have noted that in cold weather tight boots are much colder no matter what kind of socks you are wearing...

Carbonfiberboy 12-21-21 10:35 AM

My best winter socks are DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. I also tried the neoprene and did not find them warm.

epnnf 12-21-21 04:31 PM

My feet sweat no matter what. I sit on a picnic table, take shoes off & let everything dry out. Or, I walk around.
YMMV

Bob Ross 12-22-21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by masi61 (Post 22324254)

Not buying them? :shrugs:

I own a pair of neoprene socks that I got from Performance Bike probably a decade ago. I've tried them over thick wool socks, under thick wool socks (but over a thin sock liner), by themselves... and after 10+ years I'd say the jury is still out. It's just not clear to me that they offer any significant improvement over a variety of other Keep My Feet Warm approaches. or at least they certainly don't offer an appreciably greater improvement that warrants the nuisance it is to put them on or take them off.

BikeLite 12-24-21 03:15 AM

In hiking they are most used for water trips like Paria Canyon, to both help keep feet a little warmer and to keep sand from getting against the skin.

parkbrav 01-01-22 05:39 PM

Try the "Dry Guy" booties. They have adjustable velcro so you literally cannot break them just because of your boot size. And you can re-use them.

they are made for X-country skiing, but, same difference

prj71 01-05-22 01:46 PM

Neoprene traps moisture inside. Bad idea.