Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Bah Humbug 08-13-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22608947)
It refers to Hungarians, in Cleveland Ohio..

Wow I have literally never heard that. Interesting.

Bah Humbug 08-13-22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22608994)
I thought it was a word used by women to describe guys with good upper bodies.

In other word, the opposit of us. 🤣

That. It's commonly used. Now, with an O instead...

seedsbelize2 08-13-22 04:44 PM

The current touring cyclist in the house is Mexican. He's traveling from nearby Progreso, where he teaches kite surfing, to La Venta, near the tip of Baja California. Their season starts November tenth. He is not a cyclist and today spent the afternoon learning about the slant parallelogram rd. He's an architect by training, so has some affinity for small moving parts. The bike is a 1 x 7 with a megarange granny. The front appears to be 40ish. By the end of his session the shifting was flawless throughout its range. I am impressed. I've told him several times to expect it to be different on the ground.

big john 08-13-22 04:59 PM

Shortest Saturday ride in a long time, only 45ish miles. They threw in some extra climbs but we skipped the climb out and back by driving to the next valley. I got messed up and went to the wrong location but found them while looking for a pay phone, no, I still don't have a cell phone.

At the end we went to a bbq place where they cook on wood fire and the tables are outside under umbrellas with misters. This helped bring the nap when I got home.

My cat is miserable in this heat, poor guy.

genejockey 08-13-22 05:29 PM

I have had a nice day. Walked Rango with Mrs. GJ and Dory. Breakfast with a lot of fresh blueberries. Cleaned the kitchen (imposing order in one corner of all the chaos feels good). Reheated some Greek food for lunch, then washed and relubed 4 bikes, including going over the Litespeed with a bit of WD40 on a rag to bring back that nice, even luster.

I'm thinking maybe it's nap time.

datlas 08-13-22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22608994)
I thought it was a word used by women to describe guys with good upper bodies.

In other word, the opposit of us. 🤣

Speak for yourself. Here is a pic from today. I am third from the left.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7df545fa6.jpeg

datlas 08-13-22 05:44 PM

We had a good ride. 101 miles and perfect weather.

Bah Humbug 08-13-22 06:05 PM

Guilt is somewhat alleviated - by chucking all the other electronics in the house onto a diet, looks like I can actually drag our total power usage down, even with the TV. So that's something.

Interestingly, it drinks <1w while "off", compared with 17w for the old trainer TV. Per a Spanish-only sticker on the box, that appears to be due to a Mexican regulation (Sony TVs for NA are assembled in Mexico). Not EU, not California... Mexico. Seeds, are the big on power savings down there?

WhyFi 08-13-22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22609300)

[pic]

Lots of Rapha - must be a fancy group.

Bah Humbug 08-13-22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22609351)
Lots of doctors and dentists - must be a fancy group.

Just guessing.

datlas 08-13-22 06:40 PM

I am the only medical person in the group, plus one pharma guy. Mostly IT, a couple in finance, a nuclear engineer.

Bah Humbug 08-13-22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22609358)
I am the only medical person in the group, plus one pharma guy. Mostly IT, a couple in finance, a nuclear engineer.

Sounds like tri geeks. :innocent:

MoAlpha 08-13-22 07:08 PM

I’m a generally peaceful man, but I’m ready to pop Garmin one.

Bah Humbug 08-13-22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22609379)
Im a generally peaceful man, but Im ready to pop Garmin one.

They get like that on occasion, but I haven't found anything that's a legit replacement. What happened? Ate a big ride?

MoAlpha 08-13-22 07:21 PM

I am the only doc in my regular group, and near the bottom of the income scale even if you count the retirees.

seedsbelize2 08-13-22 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22609331)
Guilt is somewhat alleviated - by chucking all the other electronics in the house onto a diet, looks like I can actually drag our total power usage down, even with the TV. So that's something.

Interestingly, it drinks <1w while "off", compared with 17w for the old trainer TV. Per a Spanish-only sticker on the box, that appears to be due to a Mexican regulation (Sony TVs for NA are assembled in Mexico). Not EU, not California... Mexico. Seeds, are the big on power savings down there?

I, personally, am big on power savings. I can't speak to your issue.

MoAlpha 08-13-22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22609381)
They get like that on occasion, but I haven't found anything that's a legit replacement. What happened? Ate a big ride?

Boat stuff. We did a hemorrhagically expensive instrument replacement last month and went with Garmin on the recommendation of our electrician. Nice stuff, but weve gone through three masthead wind transducers bam, bam, bam! The electrician assumed they were bad units and just replaced them, but finally called tech support and, Oh yeah, known problem! The gizmos just brick the second or third time you turn them on, but we saw no reason to, like, tell anyone. Now we are waiting for a software fix with no timeframe. We may just fire the money cannon again, pull someone elses proprietary cable, and put something else up there before we go cruising in September. Reminds me of the stupid power meter pedals that never worked.

DougRNS 08-13-22 07:42 PM

the red/orange Cannondale. Is it a CAAD12? I have a red/orange CAAD 12.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f0784d9055.jpg
I hope I can ride it again someday.

genejockey 08-13-22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22609398)
the red/orange Cannondale. Is it a CAAD12? I have a red/orange CAAD 12.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f0784d9055.jpg
I hope I can ride it again someday.

Wow. That's a lotta setback.

LesterOfPuppets 08-13-22 07:59 PM

Oh yes, looks like you could bench 125 kg no problemo :)

Mojo31 08-13-22 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22609395)
Boat stuff. We did a hemorrhagically expensive instrument replacement last month and went with Garmin on the recommendation of our electrician. Nice stuff, but weve gone through three masthead wind transducers bam, bam, bam! The electrician assumed they were bad units and just replaced them, but finally called tech support and, Oh yeah, known problem! The gizmos just brick the second or third time you turn them on, but we saw no reason to, like, tell anyone. Now we are waiting for a software fix with no timeframe. We may just fire the money cannon again, pull someone elses proprietary cable, and put something else up there before we go cruising in September. Reminds me of the stupid power meter pedals that never worked.

Raymarine. :innocent:

I've never heard good things about wireless masthead units.

Mojo31 08-13-22 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22609414)
Oh yes, looks like you could bench 12.5 kg no problemo :)

Maybe the guy in the orange. :innocent:

Mojo31 08-13-22 08:33 PM

Must be pros - lots of rim brakes.

big john 08-13-22 09:40 PM

When I joined the club in 1989 I started riding with a group led by a retired nuclear engineer who had helped build some powerplants. Great guy and I learned a lot from him. He stopped riding due to balance problems some years ago. He must be in his late 80s now.

Bicycling seems to attract a lot of engineers. Or maybe it just seems like it to me.

phrantic09 08-14-22 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22608947)
It refers to Hungarians, in Cleveland Ohio..

Whats wrong with Hungarians?