Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cycling in hot and humid environment (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254388)

greatbasin 07-01-22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22560839)
You remember correctly. I was throwing up every few minutes, so I couldn't take in any salt. I was alone in a wheelchair in the hallway of the Clovis Emergency Department for hours (waiting room was full), so I started licking my arms.

After about 1/2 hour of arm licking, the vomiting stopped and I was able to lift my head, so I left. Never saw a doctor. I was fine by the next day.

Lesson learned.

You saved at least $7899.13

808HIcycler 07-03-22 02:52 PM

When I lived in Guam, I found I had to do one bottle mixed with DripDrop and one of pure water. For whatever reason my body did not like only taking in the mixed bottles and I would get sluggish and tired more quickly when I did this. It took me about a month of experimenting to find what made me feel the best both during and post ride.

LarrySellerz 07-04-22 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22559880)
I was out on a very hot ride a couple weeks ago, and another rider put a handful of ice cubes down the back of my jersey neck. With a snug jersey, the ice just kind of sat there between my shoulder blades and cooled me for a little while. It was a neat trick that I'd never known about before that day.

lol was it a rando?

the sci guy 07-04-22 05:53 AM

Houston hasn’t seen temps during the day below 90something since May. Humidity has been up and down, but heat index has been well over 100. We just try to get out early enough to beat as much heat as possible. Lots of water and food. Sometimes I’ll remember to drop one of those tablets in my bottle but usually I just slam a Gatorade when we stop. I will have to try adding more sodium though.

koala logs 07-04-22 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 808HIcycler (Post 22562647)
When I lived in Guam, I found I had to do one bottle mixed with DripDrop and one of pure water. For whatever reason my body did not like only taking in the mixed bottles and I would get sluggish and tired more quickly when I did this. It took me about a month of experimenting to find what made me feel the best both during and post ride.

I do the same. On a hot century ride, I'll bring three bottles. One bottle would have oatmeal with milk + sugar on it. The other two bottles are water with ice mixed with a pinch of electrolytes each inside a small insulated pannier bag. I can easily access the bottles on the pannier bag so I don't have to stop when I reach for them.

I also don't like mixing "fuel" with hydration (water) so I keep fuel bottle separate from hydration bottles. I do mix water with electrolytes (Himalayan salt + powdered citric acid) because I found it easier to drink water mixed with small amount of electrolytes and seems to taste better as well as compared to pure water. A tiny bit of salt in water will also prevent sweating excessively. If you're like me who sweats like rain in the heat, It's a good thing to avoid dehydration from sweating excessively.

eduskator 07-05-22 12:44 PM

I'd choose hot & dry 100 times over warm & humid. My lungs don't like it at all. As for water consumption, I don't really increase it if it's more humid outside. My intake depends on how fast I sweat.