Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Alt Bike Culture (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Hydraulic tires (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233559)

seibaatgung 06-25-21 07:22 PM

Hydraulic tires

Anyone tried it? Tires with water instead of air?

SkinGriz 06-30-21 09:03 PM

On a bike? No.

On vehicles that stay at work? Good amount of water, then air.

Why would anyone do this to a bike?

seibaatgung 06-30-21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz (Post 22124752)
On vehicles that stay at work? Good amount of water, then air.

what do you mean?

SalsaShark 06-30-21 10:41 PM

Used to fill farm implement tires with a calcium chloride slurry back when I worked in a tire shop. This added weight for traction and prevented the fluid from freezing in the cold, as pure water would.
Not sure why anybody would want to weigh down bicycle wheels, though?

CliffordK 06-30-21 10:47 PM

Yep, I've got tractor tires with Calcium in them. More modern ones may use Beet Juice which is far less corrosive.

Of course, tire sealant is popular with some cyclists, but I don't think I would go with full bike tires.

If the water in a tire was 100% full, with even slight pressure, your tires might well feel like rocks.

SkinGriz 07-01-21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22124778)
what do you mean?

Those tires pick up a lot of junk. The water helps them hold air a lot longer before I get around to plugging them.

seibaatgung 07-01-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz (Post 22124858)
Those tires pick up a lot of junk. The water helps them hold air a lot longer before I get around to plugging them.

You mean like Sealant?

VegasTriker 07-05-21 05:55 PM

I thought this might be a ;little late in the year for an April Fool's joke. Air is easily compressed and water is not so if you really filled your tires with water the bike would ride as hard as if it had solid rubber tires. This one is a nightmare for weight weenies. Water is 8 pounds per gallon but air weighs nearly nothing. Sure would add weight to the bike, Here is one brand you might look at - Slime

seibaatgung 07-05-21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by VegasTriker (Post 22130065)
I thought this might be a ;little late in the year for an April Fool's joke. Air is easily compressed and water is not so if you really filled your tires with water the bike would ride as hard as if it had solid rubber tires. This one is a nightmare for weight weenies. Water is 8 pounds per gallon but air weighs nearly nothing. Sure would add weight to the bike, Here is one brand you might look at - Slime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pMuI2bk0k

I run tubeless with Orange Seal which is where I got the (bad) idea. I never suggested someone try it - but was curious if anyone ever had.

SkinGriz 07-09-21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22125414)
You mean like Sealant?

Kind of.
Only with zero intention of healing the tire.

Water is harder to push through a hole than air. So when the tires pick up screws, rivets, other kinds of trash it gives me a lot more time until I have to plug or change them.

This is on a 3500 diesel truck.
I would not want to do the same thing to a bike.

seibaatgung 07-09-21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz (Post 22135645)
Kind of.
Only with zero intention of healing the tire.

Water is harder to push through a hole than air. So when the tires pick up screws, rivets, other kinds of trash it gives me a lot more time until I have to plug or change them.

This is on a 3500 diesel truck.
I would not want to do the same thing to a bike.

at that point why not get solid tires?

SkinGriz 07-10-21 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22135794)
at that point why not get solid tires?

Not my decision to make.

soap94 08-05-21 03:25 PM

Thanks for that!

Jax Rhapsody 08-25-21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22118001)
Anyone tried it? Tires with water instead of air?

Velo Mule 08-26-21 11:48 AM

You know, if you have a cycling buddy that faster than you and then doesn't let you forget about it. Fill his or her tubes about halfway with water and go for a ride with them.

Maybe I can pick up a Schwinn XR-1 to XR-6 exercise bike and replace the solid rubber tire with a regular tire and tube, but fill the tube about halfway up with water. Maybe add some propylene glycol, so it doesn't freeze and some glycerin to thicken it up. I seem to talking myself into yet another Schwinn project. By adjusting the amount of liquid and the thickness of the liquid I could adjust the resistance. At slow speeds, the resistance would be low. As the tire rotates faster, I would expect the resistance to increase due to churning of the liquid, then at some critical speed the liquid will be "plastered" against the perimeter of the inner tube and resistance will level off or even go down. Will it go down again? Does resistance ever go down as the rpm's go up? I would think that in this case, it would.

Any physicists or fluid dynamic experts want to weigh in on this? Calling gugie .