Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   I am in a predicament (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242846)

digger 11-25-21 12:23 PM

I am in a predicament

I recently purchased a set of Continental Contact Spike studded tires for riding on road in winter. I got them to put on my Salsa Cutthroat. But I was thinking, jeeeeez, ya know, it would be a shame to cover such a nice bike in road salt.

NOW, I do have an old mid-80s steel Raleigh that I use on my trainer. Perfectly road worthy. Trouble is, it is the least coolest bike I own. You must understand, I have a reputation in this town, and I can't sully my good name by being seen outside on this thing. There is a small saving grace here and that is, during the winter in Eastern Canada, all skin is covered, including your face.

SO, would anyone know that it is really me?

BUT, can I take that chance?

What if someone found out that it WAS me?

Well, I'd have to move, change my name, cosmetic surgery, etc.

My predicament is, what is more important: riding my CutThroat and covering it in road salt, OR riding that old beater with the chance of having to leave the country if found out.

I don't know what to do.........you folks are smart; thoughts?

10 Wheels 11-25-21 12:26 PM

Cut back on the Boose or Drink More.

MinnMan 11-25-21 04:07 PM

I'm wondering or not there was a sincere predicament buried beneath all that.

Some of the coolest cyclists I know ride the least cool bikes. At times.
If you live so far north and established said "reputation", what did you ride in previous winters?

Siu Blue Wind 11-25-21 04:51 PM

The bike doesnt define the cyclist. His dedication does.

ThermionicScott 11-25-21 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by digger (Post 22320072)
I have a reputation in this town

Of that, I have no doubt.

79pmooney 11-25-21 06:17 PM

I found that riding the worst weather on a winter worthy rig got me respect. I went back to my alma mater for a year a decade after graduation. Bumped into one of my former profs. He saw my helmet and started telling me of a long haired student of his who rode all winter - with obvious respect. He had no idea he was describing me.

digger 11-25-21 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22320352)
Of that, I have no doubt.

That made me laugh!

Ghazmh 11-25-21 07:18 PM

Dude, riding that old bike in the winter when most people wouldn’t ride outweighs any cons of riding a whooptie.

digger 11-25-21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ghazmh (Post 22320391)
Dude, riding that old bike in the winter when most people wouldn’t ride outweighs any cons of riding a whooptie.

I think you meant “whoopty” not “whooptie”.

A “whooptie” is, according to Urban Dictionary, a slag term for a wax pen.

Your point is valid nonetheless.

digger 11-25-21 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22320284)
The bike doesnt define the cyclist. His dedication does.

Agreed. It is presumptuous to assume my pronouns. But it is ok, hard to break old habits.

Gravel Rider 11-25-21 07:42 PM

Hold your head up and rock that old steelie!

rumrunn6 11-25-21 08:10 PM

those look cool

https://www.bike24.com/p2360741.html

digger 11-25-21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gravel Rider (Post 22320405)
Hold your head up and rock that old steelie!

I think I’m going to get a new bike for on-road winter. Something like $1000-1500 and aluminum will do, no need for the higher level carbon.
Something that is not a real keeper bike but one that doesn’t make me look Freddy, like I don’t know what I’m doing.

I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that before.

rumrunn6 11-25-21 08:12 PM

it's not what you have, it's what you do with it

I trust that's not too esoteric. but so what if it is

digger 11-25-21 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22320424)
it's not what you have, it's what you do with it

My wife has said that EXACT same thing to me before.

rumrunn6 11-25-21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by digger (Post 22320430)
My wife has said that EXACT same thing to me before.

lol, yahoo!

MinnMan 11-25-21 09:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the OPs concerns about cool are tongue-in-cheek, but as I've posted about before, I am also trying to decide whether to put the studs on my Warbird or the steel Masi. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Masi. By the time you add the weight of the bike, the studded tires, and the all the clothes I'm wearing under those conditions, it's raher like riding a truck. But it's a good workout. A couple of winters ago I did a winter century with it.

So personally, the choice is probably going to go to the old steel bike b/c it's going to be a better workout.

Also, recently I've been using the Masi as my commuter, and if I continue to commute in the snow, the studded tires will do double duty.

_ForceD_ 11-25-21 09:28 PM

Too many people spend time worrying about what the people, who never think about them, think about them. — J. S. Felts

Dan

digger 11-26-21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22320435)
lol, yahoo!

Yahoo! You're having fun! It warms my heart!

digger 11-26-21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 22320491)
Too many people spend time worrying about what the people, who never think about them, think about them. — J. S. Felts

Dan

I worry to much about what people think? You think so? About me?

digger 11-26-21 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22320485)
I'm pretty sure the OPs concerns about cool are tongue-in-cheek, but as I've posted about before, I am also trying to decide whether to put the studs on my Warbird or the steel Masi. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Masi. By the time you add the weight of the bike, the studded tires, and the all the clothes I'm wearing under those conditions, it's raher like riding a truck. But it's a good workout. A couple of winters ago I did a winter century with it.

So personally, the choice is probably going to go to the old steel bike b/c it's going to be a better workout.

Also, recently I've been using the Masi as my commuter, and if I continue to commute in the snow, the studded tires will do double duty.

True, extra weight would enhance the workout. I'm familiar with the Warbird but I had to look up the Masi; it's very nice! I wouldn't mind being seen on something like that, even though it is steel. But at first glance it looks like aluminum, so that's a plus.

That old Raleigh has dual pivot brake calipers, stopping power isn't the greatest, but I'll keep my average speed down to 30 kph for the winter.

A winter century is impressive!

digger 11-26-21 05:54 AM

I mounted the rear tire and there is 2mm of gap between the chainstay and the tire sidewall (42mm tire). Too close for me.

Back to the Cutthroat I guess.

rumrunn6 11-26-21 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by digger (Post 22320635)
I mounted the rear tire and there is 2mm of gap between the chainstay and the tire sidewall (42mm tire). Too close for me.Back to the Cutthroat I guess.

at what pressure? I had big tires on a bike, & I found running them at a lower pressure, gave me more clearance all around

also what width are yours? I see they come in 3 sizes 32mm, 37mm & 42mm
https://www.wheelworks.com/product/c...c-394173-1.htm

Siu Blue Wind 11-26-21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by digger (Post 22320403)
Agreed. It is presumptuous to assume my pronouns. But it is ok, hard to break old habits.

General term. But I'll call you a she if you'd like. Or a they.

digger 11-26-21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22320691)
at what pressure? I had big tires on a bike, & I found running them at a lower pressure, gave me more clearance all around

also what width are yours? I see they come in 3 sizes 32mm, 37mm & 42mm
https://www.wheelworks.com/product/c...c-394173-1.htm

Inflated to 45 PSI and the tires are 42mm wide.